Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
When working up a load, how many rounds per charge is typical?

Also, what is the normal group to test the round (one 5 shot group, two 3 shot groups, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I usually shoot a couple of groups. I prefer 5 shot groups personally.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There is no "normal".

The average of three five-shot groups will give you a plus or minus 25% indication of the long term average of five-shot groups.

A single three-shot group is nearly worthless as a predictor of long term performance. The worst sewer pipe barrel you can find will produce a 1" group now and them.

Be not weary in well doing.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I load 25 of each, and then go to the range and compare... using 5 shot groups..

don't know about anyone else, but I see many powders seem to like to 'season' a barrel first....the second or third 5 shot groups get smaller frequently...

then the last batch of 5 shot groups show me how the load works out when the barrel gets heated up..

this is at least with varmint loads...not so with hunting loads..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like using atleast 3 five shot groups for each charge weight. When I can, I bring a few different rifles to shoot also so I don't heat the barrel up too much on the rifle I'm fine tuning a load for. I'll shoot first shot (clean barrel, don't even use it as a fouling shot), plus 4 more at the target. Shoot other rifles for a while till the barrel is cool on the rifle I'm working up loads on then shoot 5 shots let cool a little and then shoot 5 more. Clean barrel on next charge weight and repeat the process while I make sure the barrel doesn't get too warm. I do this for each charge weight and compare results. It's time consuming and works much better when temps are below 70 degrees (fall weather). Sometimes I'll develop loads for 4 different rifles at a time using this process, but keeps the barrels much cooler. When I do this, I set up 4 targets keep a pen by the target stand and write which gun it was and whether it was the clean barrel group the second or third group. Here's a pic of 4 different rifles on the "clean barrel" group (these are all 5 shot groups except for the fwt which was giving me problems for a while, but I've got a good load worked up for it now grin):
[Linked Image]

Upper left: SC model 70 fwt 308
Upper Right: Pre-64 model 70 30-06
Lower left: NH classic sporter 30-06
Lower Right: FN PBR XP 300 WSM

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I usually load a series of charge weights in 3 shot groups, to see how the rifle does. When I narrow the charge weight down to what looks good, I rerun the groups, usually using one weight below and one weight above the selected weight, as well as the charge weight of interest. These are also 3 shot groups (talking hunting rifles here, not varmint rifles) but I will often shoot multiple 3 shot groups at the same POI. Once the charge weight is confirmed, I sometimes play around with seating depths or primers, using the same techniques. I used to use 5 shot groups and still do sometimes, but have mellowed as I get older and realize good enough is good enough for what I am doing. I also take 3-5 rifles with me at any one range session and rotate so they stay cool. I tend to shoot one shot, look thru the spotting scope, shoot the second, look, shoot the third and change rifles.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of late I am shooting only two shots at a time from sporters. Whats perhaps even more important is where the first and second shots land! Does the rifle stay sighted in!

I record each group, load, barrel condition, wind and temp and shot location and any other relevant facts after each group. I look through the spotter or riflescope and write the notes right there before picking up the next gun to shoot.

Here are some notes after 'translation':

3/17/11 60F 3-7 SW.
7mm WSM (Kimber Montana) 140 VLD, 60.0 RL17 WLRM 2.918" 2 in 1.75" 100y clean cold bbl.

7mm WSM 140 VLD 61 RL 17 2 in 1/2" 100y primer flat warm fouled barrel.

7mm WSM 62 RL 17 some bolt lift effort 2 in 1" 200y 1" high hot fouled barrel.

243 ..............

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
When working up a load, how many rounds per charge is typical?

Also, what is the normal group to test the round (one 5 shot group, two 3 shot groups, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

I like three shots per group, and increment the charges by 1%. The biggest factor is distance. 200 meters minimum, and 300 meters is better still. It expands the vertical. Ignore the horizontal.

The OCW method is as good as any.

OCW Load Development

I use three three shot groups to test the load selected.

Last edited by Ron_AKA; 03/28/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends completely on what I'm trying to do.

When shooting the PPC, five groups of five shots each to get a good idea of what is going on. When trying to get into the threes (I only dream of shooting in the twos), it takes a lot of fine tuning to find the real differences.

When shooting the 358 Norma, one group of three, and one group of three to confirm. Not to hard to find a load that'll hit the kill zone on an elk at 300 yards.

FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tominboise
I usually load a series of charge weights in 3 shot groups, to see how the rifle does. When I narrow the charge weight down to what looks good, I rerun the groups, usually using one weight below and one weight above the selected weight, as well as the charge weight of interest. These are also 3 shot groups (talking hunting rifles here, not varmint rifles) but I will often shoot multiple 3 shot groups at the same POI. Once the charge weight is confirmed, I sometimes play around with seating depths or primers, using the same techniques.

Pretty much my method too. I use it for my groundhog guns as well. They might see 2 or 3 shots per evening while hunting, just like the deer rifles.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dutch
When shooting the PPC, five groups of five shots each to get a good idea of what is going on. When trying to get into the threes (I only dream of shooting in the twos), it takes a lot of fine tuning to find the real differences.

Actually I would have thought with a 6PPC it would only take one shot per load. That is the traditional ladder test. You can get away with one shot on super accurate guns. The less accurate the gun, the more shots per load is needed to average out the random inaccuracy.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Well, I don't think 3 shot groups are "worthless". I load 3 shots in 1/2 gr increments, and in my experience, I find the most accurate loads somewhere around a gr below max in most of the calibers I load for. We're talking factory sporters here with factory triggers, so 1-1.5 MOA is ok with me. Five shot groups are the standard I guess, but when you have a lot of rifles, things get old pretty quick and I have to draw the line somewhere..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Unless I'm running a ladder, I start with three rounds with relatively wide spaces between the powder charges. Up to 1/2 or even 1 grain depending on the case. As I get closer to the sweet spot, I'll load more rounds and have finer gaps between the powder weight.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I usually pick my bullet and three powders. I'll load the three powders at three levels in ten round bunches. I'll shoot two five shot groups at each level. At the end of the day I have a good picture on how they are working. All loads shot over a chronograph. 90 total for the range session.

I'll o back and shoot the best two combinations at the next session.

Greg

GLShooter
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Years ago I worked at Federal and they fired 4 10 shot groups to determine the quality.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
Unless I'm running a ladder, I start with three rounds with relatively wide spaces between the powder charges. Up to 1/2 or even 1 grain depending on the case. As I get closer to the sweet spot, I'll load more rounds and have finer gaps between the powder weight.

+1

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I usually load in groups of five to help keep the loads identified. One for the Chrony, and four for the group.
When I get the best then I Home in.
Works for me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Depends on the kind of rifle and the use of the load. In bolts, I tend to do ladders for the first round. Usually five ladders for each powder and bullet. If the load will be used in more than one rifle, I do this for all that I might use this load in. That lets me decide whether the max is safe or where to stop and where the selected good range is. Then I do three, three shot groups for the selected range. When I've got what I think is best, I shoot five and ten shot groups to really decide if it's a good one.
For doubles and combinations, I usually use six or eight shots for the initial regulation search. Then round two, about ten more each in the 'might be good range'. Then another twenty on the 'I think I got it' load. About six months latter, I tend to go back and do it again, in the opposite season conditions, before I settle in on loading a bunch and making it a standard.
I know it sounds like a lot of shooting, but when I get the right load, I load up on components for that load and load up a couple hundred, so I can shoot for a year or two.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (achlupsa, 35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,314
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.