Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My '06 loves the 165 gr HPGK, my 338-06 loves the 215 gr GK, and my 6.5-284 Norma loves the 120 gr SMK.

I can't imagine why anyone would say that "Sierra has lost the market". Their dealings with the military make that a pretty ludicrous statement no matter what a person's opinion on their hunting bullets.

I happen to love Hornady and Sierra most, with Speer a close third. Nosler is great but I shoot enough that I like the former three for their more reasonable prices, although shootersproshop has increased my appreciation for the latter.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My wife shoots the 125 gr. Sierra in her .308 Winchester for deer and she will not try anything different!
She tells me it kills deer why mess with it?
I have a lifetime supply thanks to Bill Clinton being the greatest gun salesman of all time! grin

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Probably for checking my rifles accuracy the Serria is my go to bullet in .22 through the .30 cal. rifles..Right now I shoot more of them, because I bought so many of them before I retired..If I had to buy more bullets today, it would be Serria..I do use Horn., Speer and Nosler..but Serria is my number one choice..except for heavy game like elk..but then, I have used Serria bullets on everything from ground squirrels though moose and elk and have not had a failure...

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Ruger # 1
I've killed qutie a bit of game with Sierra's.So far I've never had any of the infamous boolit failure others experience with Sierras.Think I'll keep using 'em.

I think you should too. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed qutie a bit of game with Sierra's.So far I've never had any of the infamous boolit failure others experience with Sierras.Think I'll keep using 'em.

If you have not experienced Sierra Gameking Jacket core separation you have not used them enough. Only a matter of time. Hope it does not cause you to lose your game animal.

Case in point Savage 99 308 Winchester 150 gr gameking at 2800 fps MV. Shot a antelope buck in the ribs, classic double lung. Found entire jacket in the fur of the entrance wound, expanded enough to let the core out. The core did make it to the vitals.
Range was 150 yards or so.
Now to you that might be acceptable. To me it is a garbage bullet. Never ever used them again. Only for varmints.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used Sierra bullets in my varmint/predator rifles since the late 60's. I have had some super results with a lot of Sierra bullets shooting tight groups.

However, since the Hornady A-Max bullet has come along, I have yet to find a bullet that hits those small critters like a half stick a dynamite tied to their bellys.

Nowdays I am shooting several Savage model 12 rifles in the calibers: .204-Ruger, .223 Rem., .22-250 and my .25-06. The wife shoots a .204-Ruger, two rifles in .223 and her .243 Winchester to round things out. We love those V-Max bullets!!!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been using them, the Sierra Gameking 55gr bthp, for years in my 22-250. Great bullet. Still use 'em. Coyotes don't like them tho!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I think Sierra's are wonderful... I use alot of Nosler, as I am a big fan of them as a whole, but will not for one minute say Sierras are not accurate or a good bullet.

I shoot them in a few of my rifles, some of them are my most accurate rifles.

Can't cheat the mountain, Pilgrim...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had great success with Sierra's on deer sized game. Although I try and shoot many other bullets, I always seem to go back to the Sierras. I've yet to experience bullet failure with a Sierra bullet. In fact, I've only had one fail to exit a deer at ranges from 15 to about 300 yards. The bullet that didn't exit was a 140 gr prohunter from a 7-08 at about 175 yards. Deer was quartering towards me and the bullet went in the onside shoulder. Found it against the rib cage a little back on the other side. Bullet was a mess, but the deer only ran 25-30 yards. Never shot anything bigger than a deer with Sierra's though...

I love the Blitzkings too. They continually out shoot everything in my two .223's.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sierra is #1 in my book then Berger then Hornady

Take a kid huntin /fishin/trappin/shootin, you won't regret it
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Personally, I think we are lucky to have available all the good varmint bullets from Sierra, Speer, Hornady and Nosler...

My biggest complaint( besides the way ALL bullet prices are too darn high) is that I don't have enough opportunity to shoot out zillions of varmint barrels in life...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You gotta actually shoot,to instill wear.

But you've Imagination................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Fotis

If you have not experienced Sierra Gameking Jacket core separation you have not used them enough. Only a matter of time. Hope it does not cause you to lose your game animal.

Case in point Savage 99 308 Winchester 150 gr gameking at 2800 fps MV. Shot a antelope buck in the ribs, classic double lung. Found entire jacket in the fur of the entrance wound, expanded enough to let the core out. The core did make it to the vitals.
Now to you that might be acceptable. To me it is a garbage bullet. Never ever used them again. Only for varmints.

I beleive you, I just haven't ever had it happen to me.I have had exactly what you describe happen to me with a Hornady interlock.Still killed the deer quite dead.I've also ran TSX's and Partitions.I just tend to prefer basic SP's for deer sized game and smaller.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SGK's are zooky,which can be a good thang...especially in Feline Pursuits................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Note to self: Plagiarize "zooky"....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Zooky is oft used in conjunctive reference to 'nanner peels. Which is shards of jacket,well seperated from it's core.

Technical Terms,all...................

D
D
We use 300gr .338 MK for long range & are killing to 1500yds. Seem to be super accurate to me

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by whelennut
This internet can really suck when people go into rumor mode...

Too true. One of the Internet's biggest failings is the blazing speed with which idiots spread half-baked opinions. For example,

Someone's 223 Remington 700 doesn't shoot Sierras into tight groups like it does with Hornadys or Bergers. Conclusion: All things Sierra are crap.

We know that this statement about Sierra (or anything else they have a "qualified" opinion about) is true and accurate because:

a) According to their previous posts, they shoot 1000s of rounds annually and are expert shots,
b) They were in the service and received "special training",
c) They have tested every bullet from every manufacturer, in every weight, including imported bullets,
d) Use pictures of targets to support their assertions, and
e) They will argue with anyone, stating that the experiences of others are of no consequence and they alone are qualified to render an opinion.

There are other things that are used to support competence. Competitive shooter. Tactical team member. Police/military member (active or retired).

Everyone is a Tactical Ninja on the Internets!

Excellent post, Steve. There has been a great proliferation rumors and half truths created the internet's "shooting masters".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If you never ever used them again how could you use them on varmints? I shoot the 85gr varminter HP and the 100gr varminter HP all function perfect with 67 to 72 gr of H4831 through my 264wm from Rockchucks to Elk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I assume the antelope was quite dead when you recovered the bullet jacket?

Walk softly and carry a big bore!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (1OntarioJim, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,498
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.