Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Awesome. I've attended several gunshows in Oklahoma City over the years and have went by this place and wanted to stop. With Spring Break almost over this weekend, the wifey and I took the two kids. It was great. They really enjoyed it and so did I. All sorts of relics of the old west including Art. Guns were well-represented to say the least. The kids got to see Rooster's coat, rifle, hat and eye patch from the original True Grit. Paladin's "Hamilton" is there along with Little Joe's SAA. Of all the guns I saw the one that spoke to me the most was Harry Carey's engraved and ivory handled SAA. It was just a beautiful old sixgun. I encourage anybody who is in the area and in the least interested in the old west, to take this place in.

http://nationalcowboymuseum.org/

[Linked Image]

The kids.

[Linked Image]

And specifically for my buddy ET.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Several syndicated radio shows on our local station really talk up that Museum quite a bit. It is a very Unique Radio foremat, but that Museum really sounds like quite a place to visit.

If I ever get to OK City again, I am sure going to take it in.
Been quite a while since I have been able to get down that way on business.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
It is indeed worth your time to make a visit. I live in Oklahoma City and take the kids over on occasion when we get a good rainy day. It usually is not too busy as well. Good Reccomendation!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I admit it, I'm a museum freak. Never knew 'bout this one, now that I do - it's only a matter of time.

Some of the best (in my opinion) museums in the country are located in smallish cities, and towns. Two that come to mind; Woodward, Ok's pioneer themed museum, and Alma, Wi's Mississippi River themed museum. I spent an entire day just reading in Alma. Woodward has several fantastic displays, but the one that captured my attention was dedicated to Tyler Houston (Sam's Son). Tyler was a lawyer, gunslinger (nothin' much has changed >grin<), and instrumental in establishing Oklahoma as a territory, and state. The Colt .45 he used to kill a fella headed for sentencing (and wounded, or put to flight another) is prominantly displayed - as is his oratory in a defense case that made him legend amongst his peers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 45th Infantry Division Museum in Oklahoma City, free of charge, has one helluva gun collection in it too. They're all on display.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mako25
I admit it, I'm a museum freak. Never knew 'bout this one, now that I do - it's only a matter of time.

Some of the best (in my opinion) museums in the country are located in smallish cities, and towns. Two that come to mind; Woodward, Ok's pioneer themed museum, and Alma, Wi's Mississippi River themed museum. I spent an entire day just reading in Alma. Woodward has several fantastic displays, but the one that captured my attention was dedicated to Tyler Houston (Sam's Son). Tyler was a lawyer, gunslinger (nothin' much has changed >grin<), and instrumental in establishing Oklahoma as a territory, and state. The Colt .45 he used to kill a fella headed for sentencing (and wounded, or put to flight another) is prominantly displayed - as is his oratory in a defense case that made him legend amongst his peers.

couple of my favorite museums are in Medora North Dakota......recommend stopping if yah have an interest in Theodore Roosevelt.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 45th Infantry Division Museum in Oklahoma City

Thank you!

I get to, and through Okie-City on regular basis, so now have two museums to see.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cole-

Do you ever listent to 860 AM (KKOW) out of Pittsburg on Saturday morning? 7:00 Gardening with Jake 8:00 Agri-Shop 9:00 Trading Post 10:00 Cowboy Corner

The Cowboy Corner with Red Steagall often talks about that museum. Good show to listen to, often bring in cowboys from the ranches of west Texas, New Mexico, Arizona to talk about the old days, rodeos, music, etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks rattler!

Cole, I hope this isn't a hi-jack - 'cause I think this could get excellent in terms of new possiblities for folks (like me) who enjoy museums.

"Medora North Dakota......recommend stopping if yah have an interest in Theodore Roosevelt..... "

- rattler

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinThanks Cole!!! I can hear the roar of the buffalo guns seeing that diorama grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
In Louisville, KY we also have an awesome museum that has just about every available weapon for the past 1000 years.

Tons and tons of guns and most are famous in history.

gotta see if you come to Louisville KY.

Frazier Museum.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
grinThanks Cole!!! I can hear the roar of the buffalo guns seeing that diorama grin
I thought of you when I saw it. The gun most visible looks to be a Shiloh or C. Sharps. There is another gun lying beside the skinner/spotter, that isn't as visible in the pic. It looks to be an original.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

You mean Temple Houston.

Oklahoma is museum-city. There is the Davis Museum in Claremore which has IIRC, the largest collection of firearms in the world. Woolaroc, southwest of Bartlesville, is a great collection of western artifacts and art. It has a very nice gun collection as well, but isn't what it used to be when it comes to firearms. I've wondered if the Phillips family reclaimed some of them as they seemed to decrease during the Clinton era. Another one worth seeing is Har-Ber Village, right on Grand Lake near Grove. It has all sorts of old stuff, though the guns are a bit sparse.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Neat museum. I visited it in 1985.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hells fire, I just wish I could visit cool museums like those.
The best one over here is the Waiouru Army Museum with displays from right through out New Zealands military history. Weapons, uniforms, all manner of accouterments, vehicles, right down to the smallest details like trench art, care parcels sent during the 2 world wars.
If you ever get over here it's well worth a visit, even if you only crawl over the tanks etc parked outside.

The original international turd
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
For years it was simply called the "Cowboy Hall of Fame". A LOT of original art hangs in that joint. Always a pleasure to go there. Can not complete a trip to it without stopping in at Oklahoma City's version of the "County Line" located about a quarter of a mile west of the museum in an old speakeasy. You can get private dining rooms and great food there!

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 45th Infantry Division Museum in Oklahoma City

Thank you!

I get to, and through Okie-City on regular basis, so now have two museums to see.

Oklahoma is full of great little museums and most of them are free or close to it. Seems like every town has one.
One I really like is the Chisum Trail Museum in Duncan, OK. Lawton/Ft. Sill area has several good museums. And if you are driving through Decatur, Tx. on your way to OK City you can spend an hour or two at the Wise County Heritage Museum. It's full of cool old stuff.

Last edited by Seven_Heaven; 03/29/11. Reason: spelling

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by okie
For years it was simply called the "Cowboy Hall of Fame". A LOT of original art hangs in that joint. Always a pleasure to go there. Can not complete a trip to it without stopping in at Oklahoma City's version of the "County Line" located about a quarter of a mile west of the museum in an old speakeasy. You can get private dining rooms and great food there!
The place looked closed to me. I believe it's for sale.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You mean Temple Houston.

You're correct, thanks for setting me straight.

I'm also takin' notes as to all the museums that are being offered.

Great thread!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One I really like is the Chisum Trail Museum in Duncan, OK. Lawton/Ft. Sill area has several good museums. And if you are driving through Decatur, Tx. on your way to OK City you can spend an hour or two at the Wise County Heritage Museum. It's full of cool old stuff.

All noted, and yes, I do get around to all these areas!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1_deuce, 280fan, 30 invisible), 1,368 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,844
Posts18,517,344
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.