Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Reiche Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've got a problem with my browning gold. To fix it, I need to know one thing about how it works.

That tube with the spring in the stock...there is a plunger at the top end of it that pushes the spring down when the action opens.

The tube has a bit of a ridge on the inside, about a 1/2 inch from the top. My question, is the ridge not supposed to be there at all, allowing the plunger to move all the way up/down the tube, or is that ridge supposed to limit the upwards / forwards travel of the plunger.

I'm trying to figure out which to replace - tube, plunger or both. I'll be taking it to a gun smith to have the work done, but I want to know what I'm talking about when I take it in to him.

Thanks in advance..

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I will check my Gold this weekend and let you know what I see. Spence

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What is the problem that you are having with it?

SS

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I'm picturing it correctly, you are working with the Magazine. The the spring and "plunger only need to be braced to allow the "spring" and "plunger" to forward a new shell. I removed all that plastic at the end of my magazine. I pull my plug for buckshot and have had to use lengths of branches to replug my gun before taking to a dove field or duck blind.

You can put the gun back together and then put the plunger and spring back in and block it with the cap that holds it all together. the plastic toppings sit in a drawer in my room and have been in there for at least 4 years.

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Carolina Shooter,

I believe the OP is referring to the recoil spring and its retaining tube, in the butt stock.

My Gold is in Arkansas, otherwise, I take a look and see if the 'ridge' the OP talking about exists in mine.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

Reiche Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I ordered both parts (plunger and tube). It'll be easier to figure out which is damaged with both parts and I need one of the two anyway. Will let you know when they're in. And yes, it's the spring/tube/plunger in the stock, not the magazine.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Reiche,

If you can change or cancel your order, do so. Order yourself a Sure Cycle kit that replaces the whole unit with a Stainless steel unit. That eliminates the problems with rust forming, especially if you're waterfowling with it. I used to shoot a Winchester Super X2, which is essentially the same gun, just a simplified version. The SureCycle is a worthwhile investment, especially if it see any wet weather use.

David

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I finally got around to it, no ridge that I can see. Mine is a 12 ga 3.5" model. Spence

Reiche Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for checking, spence. I got the new tube - the plunger should drop right through it without any resistance. Back together and working now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,412
Posts18,489,030
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.