Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
He also had a miniature fly rod made, complete with reel, that made a 14-inch trout look like a 3-4 pounder when you laid the rod on the grass next to the fish. Of course, that was back when people actually killed trout.[/quote]

Now that explains all the pics on here of dead deer and Remington Model 7's and Ruger Ultralights.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, seven pages on a canoe thread! I can't help but jump in. My canoe is green - an Old Town or Mad River shade of green, but in a Dagger Legend 16'. Unfortunately the canoe itself is on the wrong side of the country.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
This may offend some people, but you couldn't give me an aluminum canoe. (Well, you could, but only because I'd sell it.) They're noisy (bad for fishing, and even some hunting), stick to rocks, and not as tough as polymers.

But hey, we're all different!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
But they are so fun to carry on your shoulders....

grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
This may offend some people, but you couldn't give me an aluminum canoe. (Well, you could, but only because I'd sell it.) They're noisy (bad for fishing, and even some hunting), stick to rocks, and not as tough as polymers.

All true, but an aluminum canoe is the only one you can leave outside indefinitely. They do literally stick to rocks, there is no sliding an aluminum canoe off of a rock, you have to lift it off the rock.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

didnt have alot of cash at the time and it came with 4 life jackets and paddles for $100 grin like the poly ones ive used when canoeing with my wifes sisters when we all meet up and camp and will prolly upgrade eventually, cant get used to fishing in one anyway and mostly use it to get to islands and such in the river to bank fish from crazy gonna use it this spring with a fish finder that runs of AA batteries to find holes along the bank on the river if Sam's dad dont mind me trespassing on his land for some fishing.....

want to upgrade but havent been spending enough time actually in one to justify it......

Last edited by rattler; 03/03/11.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Even modern canoes can be noisy if you're careless. Few other drawbacks. The typical aluminum canoe is still shaped close to the old "Grumman", remember those? They have a flat bottom, and usually have a keel. The keel is the rock hanger. The keel also prevents maneuverability, as does the shape and weight. The flat bottom gives quite a bit of stability in calm water for shipping a lot of weight and even standing in them, but add some wind and chop on open water, and that could be a problem. They'll dive right into the waves and take on water. If it rolls a bit too far the flat bottom will not allow for regaining stability (called poor secondary stability by designers) and dumps easily. A lot of people still like them for the cost, posterity, lack of maintenance, and they don't deteriorate over the years like the newer materials.

Last edited by sse; 03/04/11.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My alum Smokercraft has the typical flat bottom and a keel. It's pretty much a lake boat as it's to hard to maneuver for fast water. It's also dang noisy. However, it also has a bulge full length along both sides at the water line. It gives the canoe a wider stance in the water and makes it exceptionally stable.

For most purposes, something other than alum would be better, but this one is 40 years old and still in excellent shape. It's been out in the sun for the entire time. Try that with plastic.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It gives the canoe a wider stance in the water and makes it exceptionally stable.

Exactly right. This link gives a simple explanation of what you're describing.

Hull Shape and Stability

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For an interior color, a neutral gray in the bright sunlight would be easy on the eyes.
Outside color- a bright red or yellow if used on waters used by powerboats. Otherwise green is nice.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Hmmmmmm.....perhaps another use for Ultra Bore Coat. Rocks never don't slide off. Upgrade soda can canoes with 'Ultra Boat Coat'.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I went with good 'ol green in the end.

[Linked Image]

Old Town Charles River. Within 30min, had it on the water. Good times. Now to try it with dogs - when weather warms up, cuz guaranteed to get wet.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I have three canoes & one kayak ... all Old Town Green.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used to own an Old Town royalflex - mine was blue outside, light tan inside.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No canoes here I've got two kayaks They are Wilderness Tarpons one is a Red Tarpon 100 and the other is a Orange Tarpon 120.
Tarpon 100

[Linked Image]

Tarpon 120

[Linked Image]

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 160user, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.