Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
natman,

You just ruined my day!

I would much rather have the rifle in the configuration shown in your link to Bankstown Gun Shop!

Does anyone know if the stainless model will be marketed in the USA?

Got it covered with the 22 LR, 30-06, and 12 gauge.
The rest are just for fun.
NRA Life Member
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mr. Clunie I thought I was agreeing with you. There was no sarcasm or any such intended - more about the upgrades that might well make a true Scout even more versatile and of course more fun.

I have moved to red dots - RMR - on my carry pistol (new M&P by David Bowie from a nice 1911 with Heinie sights) after using a red dot sight and a red dot sight with magnification on a 6920.

I'm entirely serious suggesting that a Short Dot - which after was built by request to hunt what some call the most dangerous game - on a light rifle/carbine or for those who want them something similar with more range on the high end would in fact and indeed be as good as any Steyr/Ruger/Savage with either a Leupold or Burris true fixed power scout scope for close range snap shooting and much much better for longer range or from a bipod/rest.

As noted somewhere on this board Leupold now offers a small low power variable with the Scout eye relief for those inclined to experiment in that direction.

Mostly I was suggesting/wondering something might be learned from the military and 3-gun shooters for the Scout mission. I don't have the money to experiment so I'll make a virtue of necessity and limit myself - as I said I consider the stock Scout scope to be a replacement for iron sights for old eyes and I quite agree for the optical sight mission and shots beyond iron sight range but well within range for the cartridge and the shooter there are better combinations. Again for my purposes the stock Steyr Scout bought at CDNN prices is a nice companion on my walks but certainly nothing to reach out with by choice.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by william clunie
I first purchased Savage's scout rifle. Not bad, but the tang safety froze solid on one winter hunt. Switched to a Ruger Frontier and like it except for the laminated stock. I'd rather have a lighter synthetic stock, or float the barrel in some nice wood. The Ruger is very accurate, and I'm good out to 200 for sure.

I think I've solved this problem. I tried a conventionally-mounted 3X9 Trijicon scope a while back and did some quick, short range shooting. The illuminated dot allowed me to point and shoot with both eyes open on moving targets at short distances. Then we took the rifle to a three-hundred yard range and I found hitting things there quite easy. The little illuminated dot was easy to acquire at the longer ranges, and I am sure I could hit at longer ranges with it (better shooters could hit at even further ranges I'm sure).

SO...I'm going back to a conventional rifle, with a conventionally-mounted scope. It will be a Trijicon, probably some kind of 3X9 with a small center dot and mil-dots. I'll be able to hit at long distance (as far as with any other scope available), AND if a quick, short-range, moving shot presents itself I'll be able to take it with ease.
...........Well at least with your Ruger Frontier and as I do with mine, you can use a scout scope and a conventionally mounted scope too.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I got on the "scout rifle" kick a while back and really enjoy the little rifle for long treks in the thick woods of Northern Maine. The rifle is great for up close, quick shooting. I shot several deer with scout rifles (all under 50 yards) and one moose at 200. That said, this is what I found I don't like about the concept.

I first purchased Savage's scout rifle. Not bad, but the tang safety froze solid on one winter hunt. Switched to a Ruger Frontier and like it except for the laminated stock. I'd rather have a lighter synthetic stock, or float the barrel in some nice wood. The Ruger is very accurate, and I'm good out to 200 for sure.

The Leupold Scout Scope doesn't allow me to shoot at ranges longer that 200. I'm just not seeing clearly with this scope. My eyes need something stronger. I do like the quick pointing capabilities, and have proved its merit on several ocassions. I can shoot with both eyes open and hit moving objects MUCH easier than when using a conventionally-mounted scope. But with ranges longer than 200 yards...

I think I've solved this problem. I tried a conventionally-mounted 3X9 Trijicon scope a while back and did some quick, short range shooting. The illuminated dot allowed me to point and shoot with both eyes open on moving targets at short distances. Then we took the rifle to a three-hundred yard range and I found hitting things there quite easy. The little illuminated dot was easy to acquire at the longer ranges, and I am sure I could hit at longer ranges with it (better shooters could hit at even further ranges I'm sure).

SO...I'm going back to a conventional rifle, with a conventionally-mounted scope. It will be a Trijicon, probably some kind of 3X9 with a small center dot and mil-dots. I'll be able to hit at long distance (as far as with any other scope available), AND if a quick, short-range, moving shot presents itself I'll be able to take it with ease.

I did the Savage scout too.

I moved away from the scope as well.

A 1.25-4 Trijion might be the best choice.

But, hard to know.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

...........Well at least with your Ruger Frontier and as I do with mine, you can use a scout scope and a conventionally mounted scope too.

I was thinking the exact thing last night. I might just outfit the Frontier with a Trijicon. OR, get some nice wood stocked lightweight.

William Clunie
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by BMT
I got on the "scout rifle" kick a while back and really enjoy the little rifle for long treks in the thick woods of Northern Maine. The rifle is great for up close, quick shooting. I shot several deer with scout rifles (all under 50 yards) and one moose at 200. That said, this is what I found I don't like about the concept.

The Leupold Scout Scope doesn't allow me to shoot at ranges longer that 200. I'm just not seeing clearly with this scope. My eyes need something stronger. I do like the quick pointing capabilities, and have proved its merit on several ocassions. I can shoot with both eyes open and hit moving objects MUCH easier than when using a conventionally-mounted scope. But with ranges longer than 200 yards...

I did the Savage scout too.

I moved away from the scope as well.

A 1.25-4 Trijion might be the best choice.

But, hard to know.

BMT

That is THE scope I've been drooling over. Might take some time to save up for though.

William Clunie
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
Mr. Clunie I thought I was agreeing with you. There was no sarcasm or any such intended - more about the upgrades that might well make a true Scout even more versatile and of course more fun.

I have moved to red dots - RMR - on my carry pistol (new M&P by David Bowie from a nice 1911 with Heinie sights) after using a red dot sight and a red dot sight with magnification on a 6920.

I'm entirely serious suggesting that a Short Dot - which after was built by request to hunt what some call the most dangerous game - on a light rifle/carbine or for those who want them something similar with more range on the high end would in fact and indeed be as good as any Steyr/Ruger/Savage with either a Leupold or Burris true fixed power scout scope for close range snap shooting and much much better for longer range or from a bipod/rest.

As noted somewhere on this board Leupold now offers a small low power variable with the Scout eye relief for those inclined to experiment in that direction.

Mostly I was suggesting/wondering something might be learned from the military and 3-gun shooters for the Scout mission. I don't have the money to experiment so I'll make a virtue of necessity and limit myself - as I said I consider the stock Scout scope to be a replacement for iron sights for old eyes and I quite agree for the optical sight mission and shots beyond iron sight range but well within range for the cartridge and the shooter there are better combinations. Again for my purposes the stock Steyr Scout bought at CDNN prices is a nice companion on my walks but certainly nothing to reach out with by choice.

I'm agreeing with you agreeing with me. Ah, the power of the written word.
I guess what I'm attempting is clarity in my previous post. I prefer the Trijicon concept over the scout scope system. For ME, the Trijicon does it all and does it better. I may just put a Trijicon on my current Frontier rifle and be happy.

Thanks,

William Clunie
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

NRA: Benefactor
There's never time to do it right,
but there's always time to do it over!!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by scoutman

Thanks for the link. Looks like he found out the same as I did. Nice rifle, but the scope system can be improved by using the "halogen effect" of a higher powered scope with an illuminated reticle. Points the same (both eyes open), with the only loss being mounting the scope over the action. I might try to forward mount a Trijicon 1X4 and see how that works.

I've never had the sun bother me during a hunt. I've tried to duplicate the "sun glare" problem with a low sun and couldn't?

William Clunie
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by natman
Originally Posted by SavutiOneShot
I'm waiting for the Australian market version, rumored to be on the drawing board.
20" SS barrel, no suppressor, standard Mkll internal mag.

Those changes make it a lot more attractive to me.

Sorry, mate.

http://www.bankstowngunshop.com.au/Ruger_Gunsite_Scout

The good news: 18" barrel (spec is in error), no flash hider, stainless steel.

The bad news: still has the heavy laminated stock and silly magazine.

If they put this action in a lightweight synthetic stock with a conventional magazine, they'd have a pretty nice Scout.

I could live with 18" bbl but that mag is deal breaker.
Ah well. Maybe, if I wait long enough, they'll get it right.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

I was thinking the exact thing last night. I might just outfit the Frontier with a Trijicon. OR, get some nice wood stocked lightweight.
.............Looks wise, a 3-9x40 Trij would imo be too large a scope for the Frontier. The 1.25-4x24 Trij would look very good even though it has barely enough mounting tube length. Don`t mind the laminated wood stock, but do wish it had some checkering. My gloves can overcome that.

On my 300 WSM Frontier, I use a 2.5-10x32 Sightron S2 conventionally over the receiver, a 2.75x Burris scout and an Aimpoint in the scout position as well to handle any distance or terrain.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
bigsqueeze,
I'm going to go with a 2-7X Burris pistol scope, unless I can get a Leupold EER variable scout scope. This should solve my long-range difficulties with my current scope (Leupold 2X EER scout scope).

As far as checkering on your Frontier...I did my own form of checkering with a 16-penny nail. I outlined certain designs on the stock's pistol grip area and forend, then dimpled the outlined areas with the nail point. It is hardly visible, but it sure helps me grip the stock. I may paint the outlined areas black or olive with some kind of texture paint?

William Clunie
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
bigsqueeze,
I'm going to go with a 2-7X Burris pistol scope, unless I can get a Leupold EER variable scout scope. This should solve my long-range difficulties with my current scope (Leupold 2X EER scout scope).

As far as checkering on your Frontier...I did my own form of checkering with a 16-penny nail. I outlined certain designs on the stock's pistol grip area and forend, then dimpled the outlined areas with the nail point. It is hardly visible, but it sure helps me grip the stock. I may paint the outlined areas black or olive with some kind of texture paint?
.......................Before you buy, also take a look at the 2.5-8x28 EER Nikon Monarch. It doubles as pistol scope and a scout scope. I remember it to be a little lighter than the Burris 2x7.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I'll check it out for sure. (just called Leupold and they do carry a EER Scout Scope variable now in their custom shop).
Thanks,

William Clunie
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 79 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,533
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.