Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ChrisF
There are a couple of things out there not mentioned so far that might of interest and speak to Mr Bill's question;
1) Dave Crandall's Zone Plate Diffraction hold some promise to bring focus to multiple planes. It's current available only for a Service Rifle application (since it's us knuckle draggers that complain loudest about losing the post).
http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/microsight-technology-for-iron-sights/

2) There are investigational procedures out there based on the work by Schachr who says that Presbyopia is not entirely explained by the stiffening of the lens. The growth of the lens over one's lifetime and the resultant loss of tension in the ciliary muscles are more to blame for loss of accomodation (ability to change focus) according to Schachar. I haven't followed whether this class of procedure called SRP (Surgical Reversal of Presbyopia) were ultimately approved.

3) Maybe eyeguy can speak to this one, but I've heard there's now a flexible implantable lens that allows a degree of accommodation. Is this true?

When do you get time to work? grin

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...some of it is incidental to my work.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Dave Crandall's Zone Plate Diffraction hold some promise to bring focus to multiple planes. It's current available only for a Service Rifle application (since it's us knuckle draggers that complain loudest about losing the post).
http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/microsight-technology-for-iron-sights/

chris,

i've shot with dave a few years ago and can attest to his fastidiousness. looks like this warrants further investigation - more specifically: can this be used as a spectacle lens rather than within the rear sight (a rules thing).

could be cause a person to start looking for good ammo and attempting a 'comeback' or something silly..... now you went and did it!!!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Chrisf, There has been some experiments mainly on monkey with taking out their natural lens and putting in a flexible substance. The results as I understand it have been widely variable. Some of the monkeys had a great accomodative amplitude[normal focusing near to far] others had poor accomodation. The study didnt understand or explain why some worked and others didnt.
The clear lens exchange/cataract surgery idea holds some promise for accomodation. As I posted before researchers have tried bifocal implants and implants that flex forward with cilliary body contraction... This tech. is getting very close to an acceptable leval of precision and repeatability that it will start being done more and more by cataract dr's that do a lot of it. Surgical skill is a big deal with these so dont just let Dr. try to put a bifocal/accomodating lens in your eye.
As for other reasons than a stiffer lens as the primary cause for our lack of near ability as we age I say mostly BS. Dean

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bill,
From the service rifle experience, those diffractive lenses must be oriented very square to the line of sight, thus they work in an AR, but the M1/M14 rear sight arrangement is presenting problems with the arc of the curved gear/pinion changing the plane. Not sure how that bodes for an eyeglass frame mounting. Are you considering another run at ISSF?

eyeguy, I believe the trade names of the lenses are ReStor, ReZoom, NuVue and AcrySoft. The class is called multifocal and accommodative intraocular lens implantation (IOL) or Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE). Are these practical solutions for the iron sight shooting presbyope?

Re the Schachar school of thought on presbyopia; He just recently published a paper where he examined stiffness of cadaver lenses and found not enough difference to explain the loss of accommodation. It just popped up in a pubmed search, and I pulled it, but haven't read it yet. PM me for a copy.

Last edited by ChrisF; 04/04/11.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The restore lens is probably the most succesful lens at this time. It has sort of a hinge and moves forward when the cillary body contracts. Like moving a pair of reading glasses down your nose gives more power for reading. I am not confident that these lens would be perfect for iron shooting but would think they have a chance at giving back enough focus that the shooter would feel like it worked ok. The speed of refocus and amount of refocus seems t be somewhat variable from patient to patient.
As for the lens not being the cause for presbyopia I find it a little hard to believe its anything else since from what I understand the cillary body contracts the zonules/strings attached to the lens can go fully slack and the lens doesnt change shape enough to focus at near. If the strings are slack what else could it be but a stiff lens?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

442 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 54 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,126
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.