Print Thread
Hop To
B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have been looking off an on now for a few years for a handgun for hunting. Plan to go after deer and wild hogs with it.
<br>
<br>I have been considering either a 44 magnum, a 454 casull or now the 480 ruger has been thrown into the mix.
<br>
<br>I really don't want to try the 480 yet as I am not a gotta have the latest product right now kinda person. So I guess that pretty much puts that caliber out for now. Don't have the cash to go after a custom cartridge or gun like the Lott.
<br>
<br>Any suggestions on what may be a good caliber and gun for this?
<br>
<br>I plan on using a scope on it. I can reload my own as I do for most of my handguns. I am not especially recoil sensitive. Availiability of components is important. (that is I'm not interested in wild cats)
<br>
<br>

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Blammer, if you're going to use a scope on it. The 480 includes fitted rings. Which would basically save you $75-100 over maybe a black hawk. Not sure if other red hawk's include ring's or not.
<br>
<br>Phil

B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like the ruger pistol set up for scope rings. In fact I think it is excellent.
<br>
<br>I am most likely going to buy a Ruger brand pistol. (unless something else falls in my lap)
<br>
<br>I really am looking for what caliber would be better.
<br>
<br>I was thinking (if I am correct) that the 454 Casul will allow you to shoot 45 long colt ammo too? So there is the "versitility" of shooting light loads for plinking and target practice and then power up for hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got my last boar -- about a 300-pounder -- with one cast Keith bullet from Redhawk number 127, using the "issue" sights. My next all-purpose BIG gun is going to be a blued (not stainless) Taurus "Raging Bull," also .44 Magnum, with 8-3/8-inch barrel. It comes with a scope-mount base that uses Weaver-type rings (rings not included -- I bought and like Millett rings).
<br>
<br>I much prefer the "issue" sights to a scope on a handgun for general field shooting. I've used both, of course -- I just shoot better with the issue sights. When I put a scope on the Taurus for certain tests from a rest, the scope will be a 1x Sightron. I have a 2x Burris and wish it were only 1x.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blammer:
<br>
<br>Unless you really LIKE to shoot handguns with a lot of recoil, for the animals you mentioned, I would get either a .44 mag or a .45 Colt and shoot them with moderately warm, not hot loads. With decent bullets, they will shoot through deer and hogs and never look back. Nothing wrong with the .454 but it is overkill IMO and really does not have a lot of edge on a hot .45 Colt load. If you can afford them, the Freedom Arms are fine pieces of equipment in .454, but nothing wrong with the Rugers either.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hi Blammer, If ya wanna try before ya buy, come over to the house some weekend and we'll bust a few caps. I don't have a 454 but I have a few other big bores and some fine Contender setups that you'll find interesting, that might suit your needs for deer and hogs. Maybe we'll run down to Georgia and try them out. Lonerider

B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I will take you up on that!
<br>
<br>I'll be over when the taxidermist calls and says my Deer is ready. Maybe sooner! That will be a fine time I am sure!
<br>
<br>I shot a Ruger Single six? (reminded me of my Ruger single six in 22lr) in 44 magnum with full house 300 grain bullets and the recoil was not bad. Only problem was that the trigger guard "bit" into my trigger finger after the shot broke. Very un-comfy. Other than that it was a hoot to shoot!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.