-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Before we have a major airline disaster due to metal fatigue.Our aging commercial fleet is treading on thin ice at present and only time will tell before a major disaster occurs.Stress fractures of all kinds are not out of the ordinary and many can be found through routine airframe inspections but some like skin separation are really undetectable without extensive Xray.

The recent grounding of a good portion of Southwest Airlines 737 fleet will undoubtedly bring more problems to light and force other carriers to do same.I think overall we've been lucky to date but time is running out on this aging fleet which IMO is past due for a major meltdown..Flying in spite of safety concerns is a recipe for disaster,just hope they stay vigilant and don't put profit ahead of safety... whistle

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't worry about it your, in good hands with this goverment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Before we have a major airline disaster due to metal fatigue.Our aging commercial fleet is treading on thin ice at present and only time will tell before a major disaster occurs.Stress fractures of all kinds are not out of the ordinary and many can be found through routine airframe inspections but some like skin separation are really undetectable without extensive Xray.

The recent grounding of a good portion of Southwest Airlines 737 fleet will undoubtedly bring more problems to light and force other carriers to do same.I think overall we've been lucky to date but time is running out on this aging fleet which IMO is past due for a major meltdown..Flying in spite of safety concerns is a recipe for disaster,just hope they stay vigilant and don't put profit ahead of safety... whistle

I need to do some checking on the size and age of SW's fleet?
For some reason, I was under the impression that most of their 73s are fairly modern?- If so, this is a bad deal.

Edit: SW operates ~550 737s!
shocked
Still can't find average age of the fleet, dang it...

Last edited by 340boy; 04/04/11.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On pressurizes aircraft it is not age but cycles that cause the metal fatigue. That is why there are still 1930's & 40's DC-3's still flying as well as other WWII military aircraft. Less stress with unpressurized fuselages.

It is funny but I was talking with a Boeing retiree just today about the very same thing. He also said that weak seams & loose rivets were easier to find when you could still smoke on planes, the nicotine left stains at the air leaks.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
On pressurizes aircraft it is not age but cycles that cause the metal fatigue. That is why there are still 1930's & 40's DC-3's still flying as well as other WWII military aircraft. Less stress with unpressurized fuselages.

Good point, Terry.
I wonder how many cycles an average SW bird does per day?
Probably a fair amount, unlike with long haul stuff that probably do 2 or 3 every 24hrs?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Last I heard was that they purchased some older 737 airframes when in startup mode..if still flying said aircraft these could be the rats in the woodpile.As a precaution SW has cancelled 300 flights..doesn't mean parking the whole fleet of course but only precautionary measures checking the airframe hours on older birds....

Woody
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
And if you had an automatic pruner that was set to go off when no one was there, would the tree feel the Pain?

Red Baron
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Red Baron
And if you had an automatic pruner that was set to go off when no one was there, would the tree feel the Pain?

??? Me thinks you have replied to the wrong thread..

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by T LEE

Good point, Terry.
I wonder how many cycles an average SW bird does per day?
Probably a fair amount, unlike with long haul stuff that probably do 2 or 3 every 24hrs?

According to a spokesman on Fox News yesterday, the average cycles per day is about 11, and the average 737 in their fleet has done about 40,000. I was surprised to hear that many of them had been completely re-skinned, I didnt know anyone did that.

Last edited by jnyork; 04/04/11.

[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Flying in spite of safety concerns is a recipe for disaster

And we just bought tickets a couple weeks ago!! Hopefully the increased scrutiny right now will make a difference before it's our time in the chute..... crazy

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 35, 21 invisible), 1,394 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,266
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.