Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
A small group of us are considering a Texas whitetail hunt possibly this year. Does anyone have an outfitter that they want to refer us to? A friend of a friend has hunted the Lonesome Coyote Ranch and he speaks well of it. Other than that we know nothing about the area.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go straight to TobyJoeTruby here on the Fire. His kids shoot more and bigger bucks than most people I know.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know the man but I have heard good things about Toby Joe and have heard no bad.

Just in general the main thing to look for is how much area does the outfitter or ranch hunt? I assume you don't want a pen hunt.

South Texas big deer big heads big money.

Centeral Texas Hill country Lots of deer decent heads less money

East Texas small heads plenty of deer probaby the cheapest area.

Noth Texas rolling and high plains not as many deer chance for a big one money sort of split the difference between Hill country and south Texas.

There are exceptions everywhere of course but this generally holds true.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd always go someplace I had a chance at an Axis also.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out brinleeranchhunts.com, I had a blast out there.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nooner Ranch up North Texas, King Ranch in South Texas! Google them and it will give you some info.

MAGA! This is the way!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can go with the King Ranch and shoot a whitetail buck...or fly to Africa and shoot a cape buffalo and a dozen plains game...

The land of the free because of the brave.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Are you looking for a represinative animal(110 BC or so) or a 140 BC, or what? The cheapest will be around $1200. It goes up from there. capt david

Last edited by captdavid; 03/30/11.

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tlfw
You can go with the King Ranch and shoot a whitetail buck...or fly to Africa and shoot a cape buffalo and a dozen plains game...

If I had that kind of jack laying around.... I'd go King... why send my money to Africa? of course thats just a worthless opinion, and one I keep using to go to Alaska instead of Canada too...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Just a couple of questions.
Does it matter whether it is high or low fence?
What size deer are you looking to harvest?
How much are you willing to spend?
How many hunters?

I have a few spots left on my South Texas ranch if it would fit your criteria. If not I'll try to point you in the right direction.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd always go someplace I had a chance at an Axis also.

Axis are cheaper, provide more meat, taste better and much more fun to hunt.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by tlfw

If I had that kind of jack laying around.... I'd go King... why send my money to Africa? of course thats just a worthless opinion, and one I keep using to go to Alaska instead of Canada too...

I have never felt I could afford to pay by the inch score, but I have sometimes envied whitetail hunters on the Bill Carter (Sombreito) Ranch.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Val's a good guy give him a call.

http://qualityhuntconsultants.com/

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Here's a couple pictures of deer on my ranch that I let walk last year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by M16; 04/05/11.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice bucks M16!

NRA Member
T
T
I am still having trouble breathing. I hope those bucks make it to the age class you want so you can get at least a few of those. Incredible deer.

C
C
Give Roy Celaya a call@ 432-978-1151 (The ranch is 45 miles S.E.of Ft. Stockton,TX)

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by M16
Here's a couple pictures of deer on my ranch that I let walk last year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M16:

Drool! Drool!

Can I come hunting on your ranch?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
East TX is an often overlooked area. For years, the dominant pine forest provided little food for deer and they were small. More recently, very large tracts with patches of oaks and native pecans have produced some big (160" and over) deer in only a few counties. Cherokee and Rusk counties come to mind. I think it would be hard for outsiders to get a lease there, but you should contact chambers of commerce and look for local chapters of SCI, Teas Trophy Hunters, etc. The small towns--Jacksonville, Rusk, Henderson have plenty of motels and local cafes. See what is available and compare with other areas of TX.

S. TX has the biggest deer, is very expensive, and usually is leased out years in advance. With the recession, some leases are coming available that haven't been seen for years.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
South Texas is chalk full of deer like M16 shared (nice deer)! Most of these ranches are heavily managed and by that I don't mean these are canned hunts. Trophy Deer hunting is BIG business here and these ranch owners/managers invest a ton on their property and deer herds.

Central Texas is slowly coming around on the management side. I have a ranch in Edwards County 3,064 acres - lots of deer, axis & black buck antelope (no commercial hunting) its a fun place to hunt but after 11 years of intense management there is no way we can grow South Texas deer without changing the genetic structure.

Texas is a big place with lots of good hunting and some not so good. A little carefull shopping and you should have a great experience. Here is a rule of thumb, if your looking to spend 5K or less look for the value of Central Texas or the Northern Plains up in the Pandhandle. If your budget will allow more, GO SOUTH - the home of the MUY GRANDE its an incredible experience.

Randy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,553
Posts18,472,995
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.