Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458Win
I thought we were talking feeding issues and cartridge shapes and you said it was no speculation but "fact". Care to elaborate and explain to all of us why your favorite pistol is different?
Are you in the habit of loading empties in it as well?

If we are talking about oranges, then apples are not in the subject even though they are both fruit

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

And rewmeber his daughter had a jam with a Ruger and the Hornady ammo, that would not have happen with a M-70 and its cone breach which also aids in feeding.

that is pure speculation and BS as I have been on a stalk with another of my guides who was using a M-70 375 H&H and when the bear charged the bulet jacket of his second round caught on the sharp edge of the damned coned breech and he bent the round so bad that after I had finally killed the bear with the third shot it was only 20 feet from him he was still trying to extract the bent round. the problem I mentioned about my daughter's rifle was simply due to the shape and construction of the Hornady DGX bullet. they cause problems in both of my 375 H&H's as well.

Idf that happend with the M-70 then it is "low feeding" and there is sopmething wrong with it. A M-70 that is in perfect order will not jame with any bullet one wants to use. You do know this do you not?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought we were talking feeding issues and cartridge shapes and you said it was no speculation but "fact". Care to elaborate and explain to all of us why your favorite pistol is different?

If we are talking about oranges, then apples are not in the subject even though they are both fruit

So if you were able to fit a 375 H&H in a pistol it would feed better than a 458Lott? Or the slick little silenced 45acp carbines being made in England on SMLE actions probably don't feed well? It was you who brought up "facts" that you don't seem to have any understanding of.
I have had more feeding problems with the 375 H&H than with my .458 Win. Care to share your experiences?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

So if you were able to fit a 375 H&H in a pistol it would feed better than a 458Lott? Or the slick little silenced 45acp carbines being made in England on SMLE actions probably don't feed well? It was you who brought up "facts" that you don't seem to have any understanding of.
I have had more feeding problems with the 375 H&H than with my .458 Win. Care to share your experiences?

Humor is more your strong suite than facts I see

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You can on the one's I have tried and for your information you can as well with even military M-98 actions if you pinch the middle of the extractor as you close the bolt.

Thanks for the info Phil, I wasn't aware of that. My experience with the "boat paddle" stocks is that they seemed to translate quite a bit of recoil to the shooter. Have you found that to be the case with the 375 as compared to the Hogue stock?

Also whats the deal with the barrel band? Do they have a useful advantage? Or just for looks?

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
only advantages i can think off is that it allows the rifle to sit lower on the shoulder if going through brush and your hand cant hit the swivel stud under recoil....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
With all this discussion about feeding issues regarding the 375 Ruger, I can state that I have never had one problem in the 3 years I`ve owned my Alaskan.

I always fully size my cases.

It is automatically assumed that if the casing is more tapered like the 375 H&H, it means that less feeding issues will occur.

Well yes,,,and no.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[quote=rattler]only advantages i can think off is that it allows the rifle to sit lower on the shoulder if going through brush and your hand cant hit the swivel stud under recoil....[/

That makes sense.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Here's another question, is the black model just a stainless rifle with a black coating on it? What I'm getting at is if the black one is every bit as weather resistant as the stainless model?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ruger makes the black model and claims it is also stainless

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I am not bashing either the .300 H&H or .375 H&H rounds as they are classics with a proven track record but when the .375 Ruger came out I predicted that it would eventually supplant the .375 H&H for the same reason that the .300 Win supplanted the .300 H&H. It does everything the H&H design does, is a more modern design and fits in a standard length action.

More moderen design? It is a 300 Newton case which dates back many many decades

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
jwp,

how interesting. do you have the 300 newton case specs on hand? i think it would interesting to compare the two side by each.

The way life should be.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll not get between the pissing match except to offer this: Straight walled cases like the 458Lott present more of a feeding problem that tapered/sloped shouldered cases in bolt action rifles. That is a fact,espoused by many and among them none other than D'Arcy Echols.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'ved owned two production 375Ruger rifles and both fed extremely slick and reliable straight out the box which I thought was a plus. Every 375H&H production rifle I've owned, to include Ruger RSM, CZ, and M70 required some tweaking out the box to feed as well to my satisfaction. I don't see anything inherently bad about the 375Ruger cartridge design, and if anything, I'm of the opinion that it inherently feeds very well. IMHO, either chambering can be made to feed well in a good rifle, and I don't see either having a big leg up on the other in that requirement.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That may be true - at least in theory - but have you ever used one of D'Arcy's 458 Lott's? They feed about as slick as a bolt rifle can. And the 375's are not straight cases as they are necked down and even less likely to hang up.
From what I have learned the main reason for the tapered H&H cases was to ease extraction in hot climates. Not to ease feeding.
The facts are that virtually all the Ruger 375 rifles feed very well with everything except the DGX bullets. which D'Arcy will tell you are hard to make feed in anything. He is not a fan of FN bullets in bolt rifles for this reason

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
458- are both those rifles in the picture 375 rugers? The top one appears to me to have a thinner barrel is why I asked.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The top one is a 22 and the bottom one is a 416. but I have used the same stock with the 375 Ruger as well.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sure I have, hence my comment just repeating what he said regarding straight walled vs tapered/shoulder cases.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Phil,

Just took possession of a Ruger African in 375 R and for the money I'm pleased. The wood is plain as expected, the bolt a little rough in the raceways, some gaposis in wood-to-metal fit, but the upside is... a rifle proportioned to the cartridge, all of which is old news, but good just the same.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'll not get between the pissing match except to offer this: Straight walled cases like the 458Lott present more of a feeding problem that tapered/sloped shouldered cases in bolt action rifles. That is a fact,espoused by many and among them none other than D'Arcy Echols.

It is indeed a fact that is lost on some

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1234, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 58 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,943
Posts18,519,107
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.