Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I HAD a drawer full of knives USA and German factory made knives.

I met a trapper who said that he skinned 200+beaver in one year without sharpening his knife made by Dave McCroskey. I bought an elk skinner and skinned 4 bucks, two does, and two bull elk with that knife and it would still cut you to the bone if you slipped.

I sold every knife in that drawer with the exception of some cheap Buck folders and bought 4 of Dave's knives.

You can forget carrying something to sharpen you knife with if you are only going to skin 8 deer on a trip...not a bad knife from a guy that came back to life after being put in a body bag!

mccroskeyknives.com

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have dozens of expensive knives, but now just throw in a couple of $5 pairing knives in my pack. They weigh nothing and will skin an elk or any other critter like nothing. If you lose one, just buy a couple more.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's no need to pry on anything in an animal. Flex the leg joints to see exactly where the joint is, then slice all the way around it at that point. Get all the ligaments, etc cut. When the ball is exposed and loose, twist the leg and it will come apart with minor cutting. Whether it's a deer, elk, moose, or a 1200 lb angus, they all work the same.

That said, I still carry an extra knife when hunting. Accidents happen.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hasn't been on a elk hunt yeat (neither have I!) but this is my general camp/field knife. It is a little big for deer but I really like it. Made by Dan Masson of Masson knives in Ga.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks to all. Lots of good info here.

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I'll third what the guys earlier said, Bark River makes a hell of a knife for the money. For general woodbumming/ backpacking i carry a BRKT Canadian special, and it handles anything i've cared to do. My brother bought the bravo 1 and it's built like a tank. That convex edge makes the thick blades cut like a scalpel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Its for sure we don't have Elk in Florida, and I have not been lucky enough to head out west to hunt them there.
We do have a lot of White Tail Deer, hogs, gators and small game.
All of these have been bloodied processing dead animals. Oldest is my Dad's old Clauss, the newest is from our own Tim Olt.
The folders got a lot of use in the old days, that XX changer from 1992 has done a lot of hogs. The most used of all of my blades, is the Randall #11.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I used the bottom knife to quarter my cow elk last fall.[Linked Image]
I used the lower right knike to bone my cow elk the next morning.
[Linked Image]
I used this 150 year old blade (orig V.R. Paget circa 1850) to butcher my cow elk 3 years ago.
[Linked Image]

All worked great.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don't know why, but I've always been partial to Buck folding knives. I use a small Buck 284 and a larger 278 with gut hook. They are light and fit well in my backpack pockets and have worked well for field dressing deer I've taken. I'll be using them on an elk hunt (I hope) later this year.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shrapnel-is Dave K still in the business? I haven't seen him for some time?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
this one is fast becoming a favorite of mine.
haven't used it on an elk yet, but it sure made short work of antelope.
holds an awesome edge.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
and 2 old stanbye's, that a local guy made for me.
the lil'r one is real handy in tight places.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by splattermatic; 05/18/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
The folders got a lot of use in the old days, that XX changer from 1992 has done a lot of hogs. The most used of all of my blades, is the Randall #11.

I've got to chime in on the Case Changer.
I absolutely loved mine.
I still recall the exact tree in Wyoming where I last dressed an animal with it and forgot it there.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use Knives of Alaska

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My knife of choice when I have gun in my hand is a Case Trapper. Majority of the time its my 20 yrs old Redbone or occassionally my Mustard handled Trapper.

I collect knives and carry some others from time to time, but Ialways have one of the two listed above. I've used them to skin everything from muskrats to elk.

Here's a pic of the mustard from a few yrs back camparing to a 223 Rem entrance hole.

[Linked Image]

Dont have one in photobucket of the redbone, but its a good mild red color and is in great shape for having skinned 100's of critters.

Joseph

Joseph
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are getting a lot of advise that doesn't truely answer the initial question. The question was "what is the best knife for skinning an elk. Most of the recomendations I've seen here are not skinning knives. I beleive that for skinning an elk the best knife is a "Forschner" (or Victorinox) skinning knife (I use a model 40535). For field dressing and butchering I use other knives but you asked specifically for skinning. Anyway I'll bet your butcher is using a Forschner skinning knife and I'm also sure that a professional butcher skins way more animals than any elk hunter does.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
This is my "do-it-all" Elk knife. I find it to be an excellent skinner. It was one of the first ATS34 blades that I saw for sale many years ago. The blade shape is "just right" for my Elk chores and it'll easily last thru a whole Elk ----- I use a Wyoming saw for the heavy work if I don't bone everything out on the spot.

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Three that are excellent for very different reasons -

Knives of Alaska - Master Guide
Sort of the Willys Jeep of knives. Very hard steel. If you are going light and need all-purpose this is a good choice.

Helle Harding - Norwegian Hunting Knife
Each one of these is a work of art. Nicely balanced, feels like a natural extension of your hand. Reaching deep into a cavity to separate a diaphram you'll feel what you can't see because of the balance and precision of this knife.

Buck - 110
Probably the best value you will ever find. One of the top sellers for many decades. I've still got the first one my Dad gave me. There are many more costly knives but none that give you more for your money.

I have a lot of very fine knives but these 3 get chosen to make the trip year after year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

could not agree more with the Helle hardin..fabulous knife that i have purchased for many friends and kids. I carry it and the buck as well..but use the Helle on animals and the buck on others

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
never skinned an elk but for deer I usually use a Gerber folder. I had an old western folder for years but the belt loop on the case broke and I lost it and am still mourning over it. It wasn't an expensive knife but after 20 years it becomes part of the tradition.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by brymoore
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Havalon Edge knives. I carried one this year and cleaned 7 animals with it. It is lite weight, and razor sharp. I would switch the blades as they dulled.

+1 on the havalon's... awesome

T.Brown
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have it narrowed to drop points and Gerber folding. I usually carry 2: an original Gator and the smaller version, the name of which escapes me. I quartered 2 bulls back to back last year without sharpening the Gator. I also have a couple of Buck 110's but they weigh more than the Gerbers so stay home.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 673, 79S, 2ndwind, 9 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,950
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.