Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Why wait. Go now so we don't have to kneel at you alter.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by pointer

Heck, now that I'm living in IN again, it's a treat for me to go west and have 1000s of acres to hunt on without having to ask permission. That and by not paying the trespass fee I get to go again the next year!!!

Pointer,

I'll drive! Got a tax refund coming for the first time in ages, and these leftover
tags are calling me! Maybe team up and see what scenarshooter can put us on?
I'll think on that! Waiting to see what the draws in ID, WY, and NM hold. Worse case scenario we can put it in the calendar for next year. If I draw in WY you should pick up some leftover tags. You bring Carnivore and I'll drive. Seriously.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a plan! We'll have to bring Tom264 if you want Carnivore along - none of my rifles are named yet!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry about the mix up. He can come too! wink If he can't go do you think he'll let his rifle go?? laugh

Judging from your avatar, it looks like we'll both be up late tonight. Go BLUE 2!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep! B U T L E R you a Bulldog!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Left over non resident elk combo licenses was good news to me. The guys that are booked with me all drew and saved about $500 in the process. And they all get to go over west and hunt elk(unguided)after they finish their deer hunts with me. With OSL's they were allowed to only hunt on my "L1" private properties. My operation is small compared to some of the outfits that border up to my ranches, so I didnt worry about over booking to insure I had enough hunters. The guys that did(over book)will be looking for even more private property to lease....a losing proposition for supporters of I161 expecting more private land becoming available for public hunting.

So the outfitters were complaining for nothing?

Theres a guy who outfits in the Bear Paws who seemed pretty positive about I161.

The public land outfitters probably faced more risk than the private land outfitters, but as Scenarshooter points out, some private land owners will become "outfitters," since the OSL required an registered outfitter and a guide accompany hunters at all time, and some private land outfitters will simply lease more land but won't register hunters as clients, and thus will have more money to tie up private land that they used to use to hire and pay guides. so far I-161 doesn't appear to be hurting outfitters too badly, but correspondingly it isn't clear it will create any more private land hunting for residents or non-residents. In fact, I never understood how it would create more access to private land for non-paying (whether resident or not) hunters . . . maybe someone else does.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The thought was outfitters wouldn't have guaranteed clients to keeps leasing up more land. They could count on a certain amount of money coming in every year to accomplish that goal.

If land owners become outfitters they still have to comply with state law concerning that industry and cannot be paid as a guide/outfitter unless properly licensed. Also, they cannot guarantee they will have clients as before, but as a landowner that doesn't matter as much.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
The thought was outfitters wouldn't have guaranteed clients to keeps leasing up more land. They could count on a certain amount of money coming in every year to accomplish that goal.

If land owners become outfitters they still have to comply with state law concerning that industry and cannot be paid as a guide/outfitter unless properly licensed. Also, they cannot guarantee they will have clients as before, but as a landowner that doesn't matter as much.

Thanks for posting that. As I understand it private landowners wouldn't have to register as outfitters since they are exempted, but I have my doubts that land which was once leased will be opened to the non-paying public . . . Maybe I'm wrong about that, though . . .. Maybe it will go to block management? I just suspect that it is more likely to be leased to non-residents directly or through some kind of brokerage.

M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
A private landowner leasing to an outfitter generally has a pretty sweet deal. No headaches from idiot hunters like open gates, driving all over Hell and litter etc. I can't understand how anyone looked at I161 and thought that it would magically change a landowners mind. I'm betting most that voted for it did not bother to understand it. I've hunted a bunch of Block Management areas here in Montana and have seen some really sickening behavior. Some landowners stick with the BM system in spite of this. Certain ranchers just dislike outfitters, or at least the idea of them. mtmuley

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,082
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.