Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Found a little gem of a place ni NH, with lots of neat antiques/oddball stuff, and an elderly woman came in looking to consign her brooch. She said it's made of elephant ivory, and got is as a gift many years ago. I kind of took a liking to it. NO idea what to look for in ivory to determine what kind (ele as opposed to walrus etc), and authenticity. Any help appreciated. I have a coulpe of pics, if that helps.

TIA,

L

Last edited by kamo_gari; 04/07/11.
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
If you shoot an elephant, it's elephant ivory and is authentic. If you shoot a walrus.....

wink

Beyond that, I can't help.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Heat up a needle and touch it, if it melts it ain't ivory.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'm aware of the needle test, but that test won't confirm if it's not some kind of bone, or fossilized stone/bone/ivory, or what kind of critter it came from (if it did). Thanks for the input anyway.

George, I'm danmed glad you're there to help when I need technical assistance! wink

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've heard that 2 pieces of ivory with leathery looking stuff between them is from a PO'd elephant and a slow hunter.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
L, here's something that might help you.

Ivory is actually the natural tooth of an animal. Teeth continue to grow throughout an animal's lifetime and as a result, they have a noticeable structure and "growth lines" (called Schreger lines), much like a tree's growth rings. Look at the piece carefully under a magnifying glass. Under a 10x magnifier, ivory will have visible striations or grain (called Schreger lines). These lines often show up as diamond shapes on the surface of polished ivory. Bone lacks striations and will appear more uniform across the surface but will show a circular pattern of dots on cut surfaces. These dots are the remnants of tiny vessels that supplied the once-living bone. Resins or plastics have a uniform surface, usually with no striations or dot patterns. However, some manufacturers are now introducing faux ivory with an attempt to reproduce these features.

When looking at a piece, check the bottom for the diamond or cross-hatch pattern typical of real ivory. Then check the sides of the piece for a slight wood-grain pattern. This slight wood-grain is typical of the vertical pattern found on real ivory. Next, check the feel. Real ivory should have a cool-to-the-touch or even a sort of greasy feeling in some cases. Resins or plastics may duplicate one or some of these features, but none duplicates them all.

Also, color often varies slightly (I emphasize slightly) throughout natural ivory from a creamy white to a creamy yellow-tan or a creamy, light yellow-brown, whereas bone and plastics are usually consistent in color throughout.

The next test involves using an inexpensive black light which you can find at most department or home improvement stores. Shine the black light on the piece. Ivory develops a beautiful natural patina with age which shows up as a yellow-brown overall color under normal lighting conditions. Under black light this patina will show up as a dull mottled yellow with an occasional spot of brilliant white where the original surface shows through from wear. Bone, and especially plastics, are often given a patina to simulate ivory�s natural look by soaking the piece in chemicals, manure, or even tea. These usually fluoresce a bright yellow under black light.

You can also take a Q-tip, dip it in alcohol and rub the piece in an inconspicuous area. If the patina comes off and colors the Q-tip, chances are good it's a paint or varnish or some other substance that was applied to give the impression of age.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Big help, brother. Thanks. I rad about the growth lines, but assume they can be faked. I seriously doubt this old lass was having the store--and me--on, but I guess it's possible. I thought the piece looked a bit too white for ivory, but then, they have carved entire tusks (Chinese) in a lcoal museum, and that tusk is very white. Here are a couple of pics, but they're crappy mobile ones. The piece definitely has them, even in the small beads.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kamo_gari; 04/07/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man, that's a nice piece, I can see why you would be skeptical about it being real ivory.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would be very suspect of that unless it has been professionally cleaned, time for a good jeweler to look at it.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by T LEE
I would be very suspect of that unless it has been professionally cleaned, time for a good jeweler to look at it.

You and me both, Terry. I couldn't pull the trigger on it without knowing. I did come home with some other goodies, though. One is a bronze fat/oil burning lamp made in India around the turn of the century, in the shape of a bird. It's very neat. There was so much good, weird stuff in the shop, we can't wait to get back. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/2011-04-05_15-30-47_497.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/2011-04-05_15-30-11_976.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/2011-04-05_15-29-55_874.jpg[/img]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

The circular pattern and "tit" in the middle make me think it came from an injection molding (plastic) machine.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

For some reason, I like the look of that.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ironbender
[Linked Image]

For some reason, I like the look of that.

I did, too. The woman explained that her late hubby, a Navy man, had brought it home to her when stationed in SD some time in the late 40s. I think I'll go back, leave a deposit, and take it to a jeweller that knows something about it. Thanks for the input.

Now who wants to take a stab at telling me wth that critter is? It's made out of leather.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have seen walrus ivory that guys have tried to pass off
as elephant ivory.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Peccary is a WAG.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now who wants to take a stab at telling me wth that critter is? It's made out of leather.

Aardvark

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
tapir

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Does it taste like ivory?

When I was a kid I learned how to tell the difference between ivory, dial and irish spring by taste.

Something clever here.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter
tapir

*That's* the name of the critter that failed me. I was like, aardvark? Nay. Anteater? Nay? Sloth? Nay. Thanks, Rog'!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was a kid I learned how to tell the difference between ivory, dial and irish spring by taste.

Will ya swear to that?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 13,565 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,149
Posts18,542,624
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.