Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
In .284 caliber, the 156g Norma Oryx has a listed BC of 0.330 on the MidwayUSA site. In comparison, the 160g Woodleigh bullet has a listed BC of 0.486. They both appear to be protected points bullet and of similar shape, so I was wondering if the listed BC of those bullets are that dissimilar.

Anyone shoot either/both?

How does field data relate to listed BCs?

Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kyreloader, for a given form and caliber BC is proportional to weight.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Just looked at the 160g Speer Deep Curl which looks like a similar bullet. (I understand the bonding is different). The listed BC for these bullets in 0.455.

Is the shape of the Oryx that much different?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wouldn't know to be truthful, never looked at any of them. It doesn't take much difference in shape to cause a shift in BC, and for that matter the manufacturer's BC is an approximation which will vary from one shot to the next and due to changes in atmospheric pressure/temperature and/or velocity due to changes in charge weight, bore quality, Mondays thru Fridays and the weekend is a crap shoot too. Simple eh?

Rough rule of thumb(s):

About 70% of bullet drag results from the nose form and most of that as a result of meplat width. About 5% comes from parasitic drag on the bullet shank and the balance is a matter of bullet base design, ie flat base, boat tail. All of the above is variable. For a given caliber, velocity and bullet weight the difference in drop between spitzer and round nose forms does not become large until passing 300 +/- yards.

End of the day, if you're hunting big game at reasonable distances it's not something to lose sleep over. Take a look at this, there will be a 100 question test in 30 minutes. laugh

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/index.cfm

Last edited by DigitalDan; 04/08/11.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ballistic coefficients are often calculated rather than actually measured by firing. Many manufacturers tend to exaggerate BC, especially if a rival company offers a similar bullet.

A number of years ago one company introduced a certain plastic-tip bullet with a BC of, let's say, .456. Not longer after another company offered a plastic-tip in the same diameter and weight with a listed BC of .457.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just from looking at the two side by side the woodleigh has less of a tangent ogive, and a smaller meplat, and the little extra weight doesn't hurt either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple of times several years ago, some of us gun witers cornered guys from the bullet-manufacturers and asked 'em how they got their ballistic coefficients. They answered the same, virtually word for word �

"We calculate 'em as close as we can, then grin we see what our competition claims for theirs."

For that very reason, when I compared my .220 Howell and .224 Howell to a .220 Swift factory load, I used Hornady data for their Swift factory ammo, their 50-grain V-Max, and their 75-grain A-Max.

I figure that any proprietary fudge factor that Hornady may have used for their ballistic coefficients should presumably be the same (thus legitimately comparable) for both bullets.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I honestly don't pay much attention to BC. My shots aren't long enough for it to matter that much.

The bullets I shoot tend to have good BC's but that's because I shoot a little heavier spire point bullet (which is usually longer) in most of the calibers I use.

How a bullet performs on bone and tough shot angles over my velocity range is what I use to judge 'em.

YMMV.

JM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (BlackHunter, blackhawk44, aaronward9, 10gaugemag, big_g270, 9 invisible), 1,522 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,434
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.