Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I posted this on AR DR Forum, but I know there are some here who have real-world experience on elephants so would appreciate your counsel.

I'm about to start loading for my 500NE Krieghoff in preparation for an elephant hunt in Zim in August. Through a variety of circumstances I'm getting a late start on this so will need to catch up in my preparation quickly.

My question is to those experienced in the use of this cartridge from actually shooting elephants with it. Which solid bullet(s)- based on your experience with the bullet's performance on elephant- would you recommend I consider for the hunt?

I am thinking of a copper-clad steel-jacketed solid, like the Woodleigh and Hornady DGS - any thoughts on these?

I realize I may need to use several bullets to find the regulation duplicate load but really looking for a recommendation based on bullet terminal performance so I can find a good place to start my firing work.

Thanks for any help provided.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Based on all the stuff I have read in African Hunter Magazine you can't go wrong with either. The Barnes banded solid also gets high marks. One caution with a double rifle is that very hard bullets can damage the barrel(s).
Probably no issue in your modern Krieghof.

Have you talked with your PH ?

I'd be tempted to just buy factory Hornady http://www.hornady.com/store/500-Nitro-Express/

because if the airline loses your handloads, they will probably be what you end up with anyway. $700 for 4 boxes of ammo is a small percentage of your overall hunt cost.

Norma and A-Square also make factory ammo as does Barnes in their new VOR-TX Safari Line.

Good luck on the hunt of a lifetime !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd recommend the GS Custom flat nosed monolithic solid. It's fine for doubles and they penetrate like you couldn't believe...... and they have an agent in the US.

Their website is: http://www.gscustom.co.za/

I've never been there but have seen all their training videos etc, seen the syllabus' and spoken to others who have been there and nor do I know where you're located but if you're anywhere near Dallas Texas, you might like to consider a visit here: http://www.ftwoutfitters.com/Fliers/SAAM_Safari.pdf.
these courses look to be the closest thing to Africa, outside Africa and even if you're an experienced African hunter, I reckon it's well worth a visit.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What is your rifle regulated with, should be the first question you should ask yourself.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I would imagine that the Krieghoff is regulated with Hornady. Any of the modern solids will perform for elephant. As Jorge said, regulation is the key. If your trip is in August I would hope that you do not have to handload for it. Buy the Hornady and shoot it until its second nature.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by doclee
I would imagine that the Krieghoff is regulated with Hornady. Any of the modern solids will perform for elephant. As Jorge said, regulation is the key. If your trip is in August I would hope that you do not have to handload for it. Buy the Hornady and shoot it until its second nature.

Why would you not want to handload for it?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks to all for the inuput. Shakari, I'll look at the GS again and check availability. I'm far from TX but have been practicing at my range pretty regularly, even without the moving targets.

Practice, lots of it has been a key to past success for me, especially heavy-caliber DGRs. I've been practicing regularly with handloads in my 404 Ruger and 458 Lott, as those were the rifles I planned to take along. Now that I've decided on the 500NE, I'll replace the 458 in my practice schedule with the 500 and use primarily lighter handloads for the bulk of the practice with full-power regulation duplicate loads, usually in a 3:1 ratio in each practice session. Handloads are still cheaper and I can easily turn them out.

For me, using my own loads adds to the hunt. I also trust my handloads in DG situations as I know each fits my chambers and I'll have shot them quite a bit and so will have great confidence in their reliability.

BTW, I have asked my PH, who carries a Searcy 500-3.25" as his backup rifle. He uses A-Square 570 gain solids. Given the unpredictability of A-S bullet supply,I don't want to use them as my hunting load.

Jorge, I'll call Krieghoff USA, but think that this rifle was regulated with either Woodleighs or Hornadys at 2150 fps, a standard 500 NE load, as you know.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 04/08/11.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
rost495, I personally would do my own load development eventually. But with a trip looming only a few months away with the usual business concerns pretrip load development for a double would be time consuming.
Wildcatter...what area in Zim are you hunting? There is nothing like being close to a big ele bull in the jesse!

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Deka SA. Don't know that we'll be quite to the jess, but my PH tells me the bigger bulls will be in the thickets - looking forward to being among them again. The last time was 2 years ago, far to the southeast, and we didn't get a shot at anything we wanted to take. This time, with DR in hand, I have high hopes.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

A
A
Sir email Franscio Marias and ask him about 500NE at franscio.mmweb.com.na
Thanks
Jack de Waal
DEWAALHUNTINGTRADERS

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Krieghoff regulates with Woodleigh Solids.

That said - I would try the GS Customs for sure.

Last edited by cmg; 04/10/11.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks Carl. I have the Woodleighs and plan to load a few of these with H4350 to duplicate regulation loads (~2150 fps). Also plan to try a few Hornady DGS and Barnes Banded Solids. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot it late this week, if all goes according to plan.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Hornady DGS seems to regulate pretty well in my Krieghoff .500. But I haven't tested it on anything more than paper.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Just tried the DGSs in my Krieghoff with IMR-4350 and RL-17. Very accurate and small clustered groups from both barrels but need about another 100-150 fps to get to spec regulation MV. Plan to try another batch this weekend with RL-15 and H-4350.

Plan to use the Hornadys to sort out the MV and powder choice and then try Barnes Banded Solids and some CEBs for the final hunting load tuning. Thanks.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
was also gonna sugges contacting the builder and finding out which ones the regulated with.

The way life should be.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
The factory regulation load uses Woodleighs loaded by a German manufacturer. I will try Woodleighs for practice but don't intend to use them for hunting.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
just wondering: why not?

The way life should be.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I believe there's good evidence to favor monolithic solids - of specific nose and meplat design - for consistent straight line penetration. That's the name of the game in elephant hunting. Although it seems the steel jacketed projectiles will work well the great majority of the time, sometimes they fail. In DG hunting I'd prefer to remove as many variables that might cause bullet failure as I can. YMMV

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 05/06/11.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.