Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Several months ago I bought a used Vari-X III 1.5-5x20 from a Campfire member. Was told scope was fully functional, got a good price and everything seemed fine. Scope was shipped promptly and received it looked in good shape - as advertised.

Except...the power ring was very difficult to turn making the scope unusable in the field in the shape it was in.

I had lots of things to do and delayed taking any action for awhile. Then contacted Leupold and described the problem, the fact that I'd purchased it used without opportunity to inspect in advance, and asked about the process for and potential cost of fixing the problem. The service rep said: "It sounds like it might be a warranty problem send it to us for inspection."

I sent it in. Within 4 weeks I got it back fixed at no cost.

Why do I keep buying new and used Leupolds?
1. I've never had one fail in the field or otherwise - even when I've taken a fall on ice covered rocks and smashed the objective bell.

2. With any problem I have ever had (such as with the used scope) Leupold service has been outstanding - responsive, helpful, and usually at no (or very little) cost to me - regardless of the problem.

3. Leupolds continue to be made in the USA, employing citizens of my country for both production and service.

4. The optics are great and the scopes are more compact and (for me at least) useful for hunting rifles than virtually all other hunting scopes.

I own probably 15 Leupolds, a couple of old Weavers, and a couple of Nikon benchrest/varmint scopes. The Nikons are fine for their purpose and a were a good value. I wouldn't buy a Nikon for big game hunting.

It's just my opinion but Leupolds have met or exceeded every expectation or need I've had in the field or at the range for a long time. They'll continue to have my business, almost exclusively, in the future.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
'nuff said

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Makes sense.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I couldn't agree more

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I fully agree. I have 12 of them and one Zeiss Conquest. None have ever let me down. The only slight problem is that with two of my Leupolds (4x33 and a 6x36 both with friction adjustments) the POI moves twice as far as the increments on the dials indicate. If I adjust for an inch, the POI moves two inches. So I just adjust for half an inch to move POI an inch and it works fine.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a nikon for hunting and have never had a problem with the scope. The 5 inches of eye relief is great too. I wouldn't mine a leupold if they had more eye relief.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Great optics-fantastic warranty-keeping people in the USA working. We all should seriously consider these factors, especially employment our fellow citizens, before our next scope purchase..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They could put a lot more people to work if they built the parts for their scopes in the USA instead of just assembling them here. Don't take me wrong they are a great scope.

Last edited by DayPacker; 04/09/11.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
When Leupold comes out with a 1st. focal plane reticle I may look through one again. Maybe they have one now.
Cisco

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have to agree with BrownDog here. I have had other optics, some very good, but none have had the customer service or the compact/good looks of the Leupys. They really put the whole package together.

For BG applications, they get my business hands down.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I recently picked up a Leupie Switchpower from Cabelas. At 50% off I thought it would be a great deal. Now that I have it, I think it was. My feeling is that if I can rely on about 12 Leupold scopes on rifles or "in waiting", why shouldn't I use them for my other hunting/optical needs? I really like my Geos, but the Leupies are right up there.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I recently picked up a Leupie Switchpower from Cabelas. At 50% off I thought it would be a great deal. Now that I have it, I think it was. My feeling is that if I can rely on about 12 Leupold scopes on rifles or "in waiting", why shouldn't I use them for my other hunting/optical needs? I really like my Geos, but the Leupies are right up there.

Those Gold RIng Binos were totally underappreciated...Leupold has excellent customer service and hopefully they get back on track for all the reasons others have cited.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I agree. I just wish I could afford the VX-3s. You should post this over at www.opticstalk.com and see what happens.

Last edited by Dolphin; 04/09/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cisco1
When Leupold comes out with a 1st. focal plane reticle I may look through one again. Maybe they have one now.
Cisco
They offer both the mil dot and TMR reticles in FFP. The M5 turrets are in mils as well and can be had with the above reticles.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer
Cisco
They offer both the mil dot and TMR reticles in FFP. The M5 turrets are in mils as well and can be had with the above reticles.

Just to clarify, in the MK IV line, right? Not the VX3?

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why I don't own anymore Leup-OLD scopes...there are better scopes out there in the same price range, that also have a warranty.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm joining the choir. One missed shot because of a bad scope cured me.

While others may have good warranties, Leupold continues to set and keep the standard that the rest pursue.

Are there other great scopes? No question. That said, you can buy a Leupold used and know that unless it is bent in half they will fix it.

I think some Nikon and Vortex will replace scopes even if they are bent in half, but for ruggedness, eye relief and trustworthiness make mine a Leupold.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DayPacker
They could put a lot more people to work if they built the parts for their scopes in the USA instead of just assembling them here..

They DO make most of their scope parts there. They do not just "assemble" foreign made parts.

This might help your understanding.

Complete with pictures...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_tour.htm

Also, what these video tours-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvLcYQiP4_s&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72XhFKTyLPI&feature=related

Let's see, 600 employees,lots of shop space and machinery, tons of Aluminum and steel milled every year, just to "assemble" foreign parts??? Yeah, right. whistle

Last edited by jim62; 04/09/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KDK
Cisco

As far as I am aware all the ffp scope are in the MK4 line.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KDK
Cisco

As far as I am aware all the ffp scope are in the MK4 line.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (22kHornet, 2500HD, 22magnut, 257 mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 41 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,563
Posts18,510,665
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.