Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458Win
The top one is a 22 and the bottom one is a 416. but I have used the same stock with the 375 Ruger as well.
Thanks! Guessing that pair could keep the larder full of all sizes of game.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bluefish
jwp,

how interesting. do you have the 300 newton case specs on hand? i think it would interesting to compare the two side by each.

CARTRIDGE: .30 Newton
OTHER NAMES:
DIA: ,30S
,30 Adolph Express
BALLISTEK NO: 30SZ
NAI NO: RXB
12333/4,799
DATA SOURCE: NAl/Ballistek HISTORICAL DATA: By C. Ne\Nton for F, Adolph in 1912, NOTES:
LOADING DATA:
BUUlET wr,/TYPE l80/Spire
POWDER wr,/TYPE 73,0/4831
IVELOCITY (,/SEC) ISOURCE 2890
Barnes
CASE PREPARATION: SHELLHOLDER (RCeS): 28 MAKE FROM: S x 6SS. F/L size the Sx6SS CBSe in the Nevvton die. Trim to length and chamfer. Fireform in the chamber.
PHYSICAL DATA (INCHES): CASE TYPE: Rimless Bottleneck CASE LENGTH A =2,515 HEAD DIAMETER B =.524 RIM DIAMETER D=.519 NECK DIAMETER F=.340 NECK LENGTH H= .310 SHOULDER LENGTH K=.185 BODY ANGLE (OEG'S/SIDE): .220
I DIMENSIONAL DRAWING: I F r-i --(3
CASE CAPACITY CC'S =5.78 LOADED LENGTH: 3.29 BELT DIAMETER C=N/A RIM THICKNESS E= .05
J E I
SHOULDER DIAMETER G=.51 LENGTH TO SHOULDER J =2.02 SHOULDER ANGLE IDEG'S/SIDE): 24.67 PRIMER: IJR
.BLU'�� �" ~, .: ,;~L-L ~ rOl
CASE CAPACITY (GR'S WATER): 89.20
-NOT ACTUAL SIZE-
DO NOT SCALECARTRIDGE:

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Ruger cartridge and the Newton are very similar but when I talked with Steve Hornady and asked him how he came up with the idea he said he simply asked his guys to design a standard length case with no belt and the .532 rim diameter of standard magnum.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

They did, off of the 30 Newton no harm in doing so. But to claim a more modern case for the 375 Ruger is just not factual.
A tapered case aids in feeding and extraction, to deny this basic fact is just wrong.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is no doubt it "aids" feeding and extraction but a well tuned bolt rifle can be made to work perfectly with straight sided rounds like the 458 Win and Lott so what is your point?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The Ruger cartridge and the Newton are very similar but when I talked with Steve Hornady and asked him how he came up with the idea he said he simply asked his guys to design a standard length case with no belt and the .532 rim diameter of standard magnum.
.................The Ruger case is similiar to the Newton. But in the developing of the 375 Ruger, I don`t believe that it was Hornady`s original intention to design a case based on the Newton. Instead imo, it just happened to turn out that way and was co-incidental.

And now that I think about it and in looking over my 375 Ruger casings now right in front of me, what other 375 caliber non belted case design could anyone have possibly developed, which would have accomplished Hornady`s intended goal? Which was; a 30-06 lengthed cartridge with increased case capacity over the H&H, for the purpose of achieving the same ballistic performance from a shorter 20" barrel as the longer barreled 375 H&Hs.

Obviously to increase the powder capacity for the 375 Ruger and to keep it at a 30-06 length, the H&H taper had to go away straightening the case walls, and they had to increase the casing diameter.

Things being as they are and either through the Newton case or otherwise, I really don`t care how or what the influence was as to how Hornady came up with the 375 Ruger case design.

The bottom line, is that this round is a wonderful cartridge, shoots as accurately as any 375, and does so with as much ballistic horsepower as the longer barreled 375 H&H rifles......That is what matters.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is no doubt it "aids" feeding and extraction but a well tuned bolt rifle can be made to work perfectly with straight sided rounds like the 458 Win and Lott so what is your point?

That sums it up pretty well and is hard to argue against; therefore, I declare a draw grin

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My point is with off the shelf factory rifles (which are not well tuned) a tapred case is an aid to good feeding and extraction. I thought that point was obvious and a given, but I guess not

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Talked to the people at Ruger today and contrary to what their website and catalog says the Alaskan black model is NOT stainless steel. Dangit I found a smokin deal on one too.......

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
.................The Ruger case is similiar to the Newton. But in the developing of the 375 Ruger, I don`t believe that it was Hornady`s original intention to design a case based on the Newton. Instead imo, it just happened to turn out that way and was co-incidental.

And now that I think about it and in looking over my 375 Ruger casings now right in front of me, what other 375 caliber non belted case design could anyone have possibly developed, which would have accomplished Hornady`s intended goal? Which was; a 30-06 lengthed cartridge with increased case capacity over the H&H, for the purpose of achieving the same ballistic performance from a shorter 20" barrel as the longer barreled 375 H&Hs.

Obviously to increase the powder capacity for the 375 Ruger and to keep it at a 30-06 length, the H&H taper had to go away straightening the case walls, and they had to increase the casing diameter.

Things being as they are and either through the Newton case or otherwise, I really don`t care how or what the influence was as to how Hornady came up with the 375 Ruger case design.

The bottom line, is that this round is a wonderful cartridge, shoots as accurately as any 375, and does so with as much ballistic horsepower as the longer barreled 375 H&H rifles......That is what matters.

Are you saying that Hornady re-invented the wheel? New and diferent cartidge are brought out and they all are bsed on an existing case. Sometimes that existing case is almost in oblivion

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The main purpose of tapered cases for both military and sporting rifles has always been to aid extraction - not feeding. When you are using spitzer bullets a lightly tapered case has virtually no bearing on how well they feed, but it does make a difference with dirty, corroded or hot loads. The original 300 and 375 H&H rounds were loaded with cordite, which was temperature sensitive and in the tropics could cause pressure spikes. A tapered case helped.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

Are you saying that Hornady re-invented the wheel? New and diferent cartidge are brought out and they all are bsed on an existing case. Sometimes that existing case is almost in oblivion

.............No. I did not state that Hornady re-invented any wheel. Intentionally based on the Newton case or not imo, really doesn`t matter and is irrelevant. My belief is, is that Hornady didn`t have the Newton casing in mind during the creation of the 375 Ruger. They did what they needed to do in order to accomplish the goal they and Ruger wanted. It just happened to turn out that way as the 375 Ruger is a close comparison or similiar to the Newton.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
416 oops I do that? Dang

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The main purpose of tapered cases for both military and sporting rifles has always been to aid extraction - not feeding. When you are using spitzer bullets a lightly tapered case has virtually no bearing on how well they feed, but it does make a difference with dirty, corroded or hot loads. The original 300 and 375 H&H rounds were loaded with cordite, which was temperature sensitive and in the tropics could cause pressure spikes. A tapered case helped.

To make the claim that a tpered case "does not aid in feeding" just shows how little you know about feeding. You need to give up as you are completely wrong on this.
The gunsmiths that I talk to apparently are all wrong they believe a tapered case aids in feeding.

I guess Ryan Breeding doesn't know what he is doing, at least according to you

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

http://74.6.117.48/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=375+h%26h+magnum&fr=slv8-yie8&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=375+h%26h+magnum&d=4671210912482276&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=a36cf378,509e76fe&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=25iOWgs5THzck0T0lHlG0w--

The .375 H&H Magnum case design was conceived to use cordite; a stick type propellant used widely in the United Kingdom. The tapering cartridge body design and the small shallow shoulder are typical aspects of cartridges optimized for the use of this propellant.[7] An advantage of such a case design is that it will feed and extract smoothly thus contributing to the cartridge's reliability in the field.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/375-hh-magnum?page=2

By Terry Wieland

With its pronounced taper, the .375 feeds smoothly;

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/375-hh-magnum?page=2#ixzz1J25ZYj7E

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You can't make up your mind, you posted this on page 4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hard for either of two life long experts to argue the other into a point of view contrary to his experience or what he's been taught-- and that's face-to-face, let alone thousands of miles apart sparing by key board.

Still, always something someone holding the coats can learn from. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I certainly don't consider myself an expert and don't claim to know everything. I am simply one individual willing to share my experiences here in Alaska.
There are some very knowledgable folks who read and occasionally post here but most of the real experts seem to live on the internet in the lower 48. grin

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The "MAIN" purpose of a tapered case is to aid extraction. That is a accurate statement. It was its "MAIN" purpose. Phils statement it "AIDS" feeding & extraction is also correct as the angle of release off the rails is slightly less (and preasure on the spring). Where's the problem? The point of release is the critical factor as in all cases the bullet is now inline with the chamber. Once the actual case hits the ramp only about 1/4 of the back part of the case is in contact with the rails till release. What's the difference in taper between the H&H and a 458 Win in the last 1/4 of the case? Think about it???? At this point the shape of the bullet again is important just as it was with its interface with the loading ramp. As you can see taper doesn't play much of a roll in loading, just extraction.

I am 100% against waterboarding. Splatter their brains out the back of their heads.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Claiming that a tapered case doesn't play much of a factor in feeding is just FLAT OUT WRONG

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (163bc, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 22250rem, 2500HD, 51 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,915
Posts18,518,712
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.