Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I have some 115g Core-Lokt Ultras to maybe give a try to this fall for whitetails in my .25-06. From what I have read, they seem to hold together due to their bonding, but readily expand which seems to lessen their penetration. It sounds like it could be a good mate for the .25-06 and whitetails.

Anyone have any kill experiences with these bullets? Please include caliber, velocity, accuracy/precision and on-game experiences.

Thanks is advance.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
KY:I am anxious to hear about them as well...JB tells me they are good,but I have yet to kill anything with them.

I can say the factory 7RM ammo with 140's shot well from my 7 mag and clocked about 3150.

I am kinda anxious to try them myself......

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30-06, 165 grain @ 2900 fps, typically a bit under moa
7SAUM, 160 grain @ 2875 fps, typically a bit under moa
(both rifles are very accurate factory rifles)

These two loads have been used on quite a few whitetails and black bear. Total penetration on everything we have shot with it. Excellent expansion with very quick take downs. AND they penetrate straight whether there is bone in the path or not.

After seeing how these bullets perform my brother and I pretty much quit looking for anything else and I loaded up a couple hundred of them. There really isn't any question or drama with these loads. TBH with what we have seen this is probably the only load theese rifles will see again regardless of what we go after. If these two rifles have any business doing it then the load will do just fine.

One caveat: Both my brother and I have had bad experiences with 'controlled expansion' bullets on deer and black bear and won't use them. If you are one of those guys who wants a bullet that can pass through a rhino this probably isn't what you are looking for.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Will: Thanks....I wanna try them....where are you buying them?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
about 3 years ago i decided to try them, so bought a box of 140gr for my 270 win. shot 9 whitetails that year, all with the ultras, all one shot kills, some ran 50 yards and some fell drt, all were complete pass-throughs so never found a bullet. kept the remainder of the box and used a few in wyoming this past sept. shot 2 lopes, one bullet each, pass-throughs.

for me, they are fine bullets. i wouldn't hesitate to use them for elk but i have too many 150 gr partitions loaded up.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
killed a few whitetails (15 or so does on a couple of cull hunts) with my 300 saum and core lokt ultras 6-8 years ago.

150 grain.

Didn't chrono it but they claim 3200.

Minute of deer accuracy (I don't blame the ammo - the rifle has since been rebarreled).

Range from very close to a couple hundred yards.

Without fail EVERY deer dropped like a ton of bricks. Tried to shoot thru front shoulders each time. Never recovered a bullet.

I've since moved on the premium bullets as I've become more of a looney but I'd have no issue with the core lokt ultras on whitetails.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob I've gotten them from both grafs and midway. I remember buying them several years ago when everyone was hoarding bullets and they were always available. A bit pricey and that is probably why they weren't sold out.

How many years has the 139 Interlock been on back order? Lucky I saw that coming and stocked up.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
7mm 160gr cow elk at 200yds? spike elk 250? shoulder shots they went down hill 80yds? They were throu and throu sorry .

V
V
Anyone have any kill experiences with these bullets? Please include caliber, velocity, accuracy/precision and on-game experiences.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Couple of deer, complete penetration with a 140gr from a 270 at 2900'ish FPS.

No problem shooting sub MOA at 300 yards with them.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Several years ago, about 5 or 6, I suppose, a WalMart in a nearby town had 7mmRM 140gr. CoreLokt Ultras on sale for way cheaper than normal price. Don't remember the price, but they were cheap. Bought 5 or 6 boxes. In this particular 7mm Mag, these shoot about the same as all the other factory loaded bonded bullets do. About 1-1/4" 3-shot groups at 100 yds. The factory Fusions, Accubonds and PowerMaxes shoot about the same in this rifle. Didn't chronograph the loads, but I think the factory claims 3190 fps?

I've used this load to "harvest" two large-bodied Northern Whitetail bucks. As it happened, both were shot at a lasered distance of just over 200 yards, and both were high chest shots. One-shot bang/flops is as accurate a description as I can give. BANG! "Where did the deer go? I don't see him!" Neither bullet exited.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
According to my hunting notes I've taken 8 animals with the CLU's, and seen about that many others taken with them by hunting partners. The animals were pigs, whitetails, mule deer and caribou, and the cartridges were .25-06, 7mm SAUM, .308 Winchester and .300 SAUM. Have only recovered one bullet, and it retained around 85% of its weight. Accuracy has always been good to excellent, mostly depending on the rifle, meaning around an inch to less than 3/4".

They're basically the standard Core-Lokt with the core bonded to the jacket, preventing separation. The jacket isn't all that thick, but they hold together well enough that penetration is good. I've tested them in a couple of different kids of media as well, and they penetrate about like many other bonded bullets that are designed to open up pretty widely, such as the Hornady Interbond. They aren't likely to shoot endwise through a 700-pound elk, but they do penetrate adequately for any shot that enters the chest, whether from the front or rear.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 59 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,622
Posts18,511,985
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.