Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by xphunter
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The Gold Ring HD is the undisputed king of eye relief in the spotter world.

Except for the USO Field scope...

True, but it has so much eye relief that its field of view is limited to the degree that I sold mine.
Loved the MOA reticle in the FFP , but really disliked the field of view.
It has more eye relief than is needed for one who wears glasses like me.

I think they are primarily designed for the military market and the long eye relief was to make it compatible with a respirator (gasmask)..

At one time it was one of the few spotters available with the a reticle..Nice bit of kit, but not really aimed at your typical hunter..

I agree completely on what is was designed for.
The MOA reticle in FFP and size is what drew me to it.
If they would use the original design as a starting point to make it suitable for hunters it would make a really nice field scope.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
In my experience sheep hunting in not a low light affair... so a 77/80/85mm is not necessary. A 60/65mm spotting scope is lighter and easier to carry. The spotting scopes most I've seen guides use are of the "Alpha" variety with the Leica being the one I see most often. They also like the APO/HD/FL lenses in them. Not for the color correction, but for better definition in low light. I recently purchased a used Leica 62 APO with the 16x-46x variable eyepiece the size and weight are tolerable and the image clarity is wonderful. It's the angled model so looking up hill is a breeze. I carry a medium sized tripod and I use it for my binoculars as well as the spotting scope. You can find a lot more sheep with your binocular mounted on a tripod than by hand holding them. I like using quality 10x or higher binoculars for locating sheep, then use the spotting scope for judging the rams. Most of the time I find my eyepiece set on 30x. Hope this helps! Ovis_Chaser

P.S. The best advice I can give you is to get into the best shape of your life� Sheep hunting involves �getting up the mountain� and is physically and mentally demanding. Unless you work at a job that keeps you in shape, you�re not in �Sheep Shape�� being in shape is more important than any gear you take with you. O_C

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JG I think Pete means US Optics. USOPTICS spotter

Listed ER is 3" like a riflescope and sort of like Leupold.

"Except for the USO Field scope..."

Originally Posted by JGRaider
Never heard of it, much less used one.

Last edited by SteveWM; 04/12/11.

Regards,Steve
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Regards,Steve
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 78 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,891
Posts18,479,187
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.