-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They ship in raw castings for the Rockchucker from China but the rest of the work is done in the US.

Anybody that thinks either a Rockchucker or Lee Classic is equal to a Co-Ax is smoking crack............dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On the other hand, anybody who thinks a Co-Ax is worth the $400 MSRP ($250 street) thinks a kilo of coke is cheap fun...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up an old RC on ebay a few years ago. It has the handle with the green "bicycle handlebar" grip. I think it is a pretty old model. They are easy to find used if you look around a little. I think I paid about 85.00 shipped, and it came in the original cardboard box. I could not be happier with it.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
On the other hand, anybody who thinks a Co-Ax is worth the $400 MSRP ($250 street) thinks a kilo of coke is cheap fun...

Funny!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have 2 and they are worth every penny.

If you don't agree, try a couple rockchuckers, a RCBS Pro-Mag, a Co-Ax, a redding Ultramag, Redding T-mag, Redding Big-Boss, a Dillon 650 and load 3,000 to 30,000 on each and get back to me. I bet you'll agree...........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have both the Forster Co-Ax and the Lee Classic Cast and cannot complain about either. I bought both as they are American made and of decent quality. I can't get past RCBS sending manufacturing off to China for what is as American (hunting and shooting sports) to me as apple pie.

Just a few years back, the Lee Classic Cast could be had for ~ $70 on sale. Shop around and you won't be disappointed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HaYen
I own two Lee presses and one RCBS. I use all three but prefer the cam over action of the RCBS when sizing cases.

The lack of cam-over is what I prefer about the Lee.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just replaced my 35 year old RCBS Reloader Special with a Lee Classic Cast and could not be happier. I needed the longer cabability and looked at all presses out there without much regard for cost really. I have never been a Lee fan but I am a fan of this press. A great piece of equipment.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Having examined current examples of both presses, I'd be inclined to advise folks to get the Lee Classic Cast. If you find an older (even used) RCBS, go for it. The current ones just lack something almost indefinable in the feel. It might be the "Made in China" aspect, or something else; the RCBS just isn't what they used to be. I might just be imagining it, or I might be pre-judging because I know the country of origin. But, there it is ...

The Lee is certainly the "Best Buy" of them all. That's beyond debate.

Heresy, heresy! Stone him! Stone him! grin

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Pay the xtra few dollars and get a Redding.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW, I've had MUCH better luck with Lee's CS than RCBS's CS. I had a Rockchucker for about a decade, sold it and bought the Co-ax. If I were buying an O-frame press new right now it would be the Lee, but the Co-ax is like running a fine piece of machinery, I'll never go back.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What I find interesting is that some will look at a product to evaluate it for what they are, and buy the best one. Others seem to assume quality is determined by the price tag and the color of the paint...

I'm a fan of Forster high end dies because they have the features I want and are quality made. Others will only buy Redding dies at a higher price that have the same features but probably not quite as good a quality, just because it is a Redding.

On the other hand the Forster Co-Ax press is in my evaluation just a gimmick -- like a complex mouse trap that does not work any better than the old simple Victor models. The Lee Classic cast is stronger, accurate, catches the primers like the Co-Ax, and really it only takes seconds to change shell holders. Plus shell holders of different thickness give you some flexibility in sizing.

Last edited by Ron_AKA; 04/12/11.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a Rockchucker that's 40 years old (bicycle grip handle) and it's still going strong. I use a Dillon 550B for anything I shoot a lot of. (It's 16 years old, no problems at all)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
jstall, that bicycle grip drove me nuts for years. I finally cut it off. As an absolutely delightful replacement, I drilled partway through an old golf ball, squirted in a dollop of glue and slid it onto the RCBS handle. It's palm-filling and the dimples give it just enough texture for excellent feel.

Most golf balls today have a single large solid core that makes them ideal for the job.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
jstall, that bicycle grip drove me nuts for years. I finally cut it off. As an absolutely delightful replacement, I drilled partway through an old golf ball, squirted in a dollop of glue and slid it onto the RCBS handle. It's palm-filling and the dimples give it just enough texture for excellent feel.

Most golf balls today have a single large solid core that makes them ideal for the job.

Clever.

Think a golf ball could be adapted to be a Rem 700 bolt knob?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My BIL uses an old (and I do mean old) Rockchucker Press. I use the Lee Classic Cast Iron Press. Neither one of us complain as either of these are well built and very strong.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd get the cheapest cast iron press that's out there. I think that may be the Lee. I did that 15 yrs ago and at the time it was a Lyman Orange Crusher II. I haven't worn it out yet.

But RCBS is a quality press. I would save on the press and buy a quality scale, micrometer, brass trimmer, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hmmmm, I was thinking about buying a replacement handle with the round knob from RCBS

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I purchased the Lee anniversary press kit back when I first started reloading and haven't worn that press out yet. It works great and I love it. If and/or when I buy a new one it'll be their cast press.

Nothing against the RC, which I know for a fact is a great press.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ron_AKA
What I find interesting is that some will look at a product to evaluate it for what they are, and buy the best one. Others seem to assume quality is determined by the price tag and the color of the paint...

That right there shows some real intelligence. I have always felt that it was a supplier rather than a consumer who coined the phrase, "You get what you pay for," and that he smiles contentedly every time he hears a consumer parrot it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 75 invisible), 3,143 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.