Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Ross has a good story in the latest Double Gun Journal. Includes a fine old rifle and a great Elk. Damn I wish he wrote more.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yes, sir. I have been a fan of his work for a long time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
writes good, a real turd to talk to if he just met you. might just be me, dontknow?

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I to wish he wrote more, as it is great to read the work of a guy who has btdt and can build a rifle, as opposed to the crowd of "writers" that just yack about and take pictures of the latest pos to show up in the mail.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The last story of his was the one where he said his single
shot Ruger would hit a tomato juice can at 800 yards every
time. Since I doubt if he could improve on that I have
never read him again.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hawkins
� he said his single shot Ruger would hit a tomato juice can at 800 yards every time. �

All by itself?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� he said his single shot Ruger would hit a tomato juice can at 800 yards every time. �

All by itself?

LOL, sprayed Folgers.........

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ken, Your point is well taken. He didn't say he couild do it.
I may have rushed to judgment. I felt it coming in over the
top of my boots and jumped to a conclusion.
Take care!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ross is one of my favorite writers too.

One time I found an old Alex Henry rifle for sale at a local shop at what I thought was a really good price. I didn't have the means at the time, and I know Ross is fond of the old classics, so I called him to tell him about the Henry. Got his number from an Elk Song advertisement. We talked for some time, maybe a half-hour or so. Even though he didn't know me from Adam, he was cordial to me and appreciated that I thought of him regarding the Henry rifle. He even welcomed me for a visit. Now, one phone call does not a friend make, but the door remains open.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
never read him again.

I take it that you don't think the #1 one could do that. Why?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
never read him again.

He posted pictures of groups he shot at a mile in one of his articles. The guy can shoot. I wouldn't bet against him.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think many here would be amazed what some good shooters, who actually practice and shoot all the time, can do at some quite long distances.

If he was speaking of a #10 can (which is pretty good sized), I would not doubt that he could hit it nearly every time. I mean, if Steelie can hit a Jack Daniels at 700 in less than 7 shots with an unknown rifle and load, then what couldn't Ross do?????? wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Heck, anybody can hit a tomato juice can at 800 yards all day. I have a couple of 80 gallon cans of juice that we use to make our sphagetti sauce and hot sausage sandwiches for the annual gun raffle/family day/flea market weekend at the gun club. I'll bet that Mr. Seyfried could hit a smaller can than that with a handgun at 800 yards.

Terry

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
On a dead calm day, at the end of a day of shooting, at the KD range at Anniston AL, I hit a coke can (on the end of a stick) six times out of eight, at 600yd.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by domit
writes good, a real turd to talk to if he just met you. might just be me, dontknow?

That is not my experience with him. Called him up one day out of the blue to discuss .416's with him and he was very cordial.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoy his "Respected Rifle" video on Remington.tv

http://www.remington700.tv/#

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

At our first meeting, amid a coterie of his adoring worshipers, just after my Custom Cartridges book was published, he immediately, loudly, and vociferously raked me over the coals for allegedly accrediting a certain cartridge to someone (he said) who'd "introduced" it later than the real originator had.

He was wrong.

I'd used dimensions from the original originator, who'd originated it long before the fellow whom he thought was the real originator.

And he hadn't even seen my book yet. Apparently, somebody had told him that I'd called a certain cartridge the ".xxx Whosis," and he thought that I should've called it the ".xxx Somebody Else's." (I'm not sure that my ramshackle memory is all that accurate so many years later now, but I think that it was an old OKH cartridge that my friend Charlie O'Neil had originated long before Peter Capstick put his name on it.)

If I'd never made an honest mistake � and a public fool of myself � I might've gotten mad.

On later occasions, he's been as gracious as anybody could be.

And there's no doubt that
� he knows whereof he writes
� he's a better-than-average rifleman
� he's a better-than-average writer

All in all, he rates pretty high with me.
One turd does not a sewer make.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have followed Mr. Seyfried's advice from many of his articles and found the results to be as he claimed. A good indicator he knows what he is talking about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

+1
met the guy about 25 or so years ago at a gun shop in western Colorado. VERY arrogant. I was introduced to him by the owner (a good friend) and he barely glanced my direction or offered a hand shake. Haven't read much of his stuff since.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Everyone has bad days.

I have met Ross several times in person. In each case he was hospitable and polite and generous with his time and knowledge.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

263 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 31 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,289
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.