Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think you are in a tissy fit over nothing.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Otter
The local gunshop I frequent here in my NW AR town has a sign on the front door that says no loaded firearms unless it is holstered and you have a valid CCW permit. I thought that was a good way to handle the issue.
That's why I called the guy to see if that's what was meant, and if so to suggest that he be a bit more explicit. But he meant no CCW. And while that's his right, it's a really dumb business decision, and It's my right not to give him a dime.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
A new gun shop just opened up in my home town. For the first couple of weeks all was fine and rather normal. Today I stop by during lunch to feed my addiction (see if they have anything cool I can�t live without) and as I approach the door I see a sign that says:

No loaded firearms beyond this door.

Just above that sign is a flyer advertising that this shop teaches the Arkansas Concealed Handgun course.

ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME?

So, I turned right round, got in my car and left. The guys sign had the phone number posted, so as I left to check out his competitors, I gave him a call. In short I asked WTF?? He basically said that while he supports the right to carry, he�s not comfortable with people being armed in his store. I asked him if he saw the irony and he responded by telling me it�s the right of any business owner. I told him that I don�t support businesses that do not allow my right to self protection and that I would not EVER step foot in his store; he was 100% okay with that. (I would imagine he would think twice if he only knew how many guns I buy per year).

Now I know that many people here who live in large cities see this all the time. But my home town has a population of under 15k. Violent crime is extremely low and things like armed robbery happen about once every 3-4 years. My community is VERY conservative, and you can bet that a high percentage is packing.

I�m just flabbergasted� Piss on him and gun stores that are like his.
Wait a minute... I had to read this again..

The sign says "no loaded firearms beyond this door".. Doesn't say you can't carry concealed, just that it has to be unloaded..

With the possible exception of a politician, it's really hard to imagine anything more useless than an UNLOADED gun.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin

Maybe to you, but for a business that is looking to make their bread and butter off of people buying concealed firearms, and teaching CCW classes, I think this is a dumb, and piss poor attitude. Just my opinion, I see yours differs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To me, the better approach would be signage to the effect of: "All guns not holstered and on the person for carry should be unloaded with action open before entry."

But it is his business, and his rules. Also may be insurance rules.

Being so pizzed you couldn't walk in and make a calm inquiry seems a bit of an overreaction, but to each his own.

Also, carry concealed and it's not a problem. It's only his store rules, not a law.

War Damn Eagle!

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Would you be happy if you owned a gunshop and Homey G's would walk in with firearms tucked in their waste belts, and wanted to look at other firearms?

I'm sure he has his reasons...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by Calvin

Maybe to you, but for a business that is looking to make their bread and butter off of people buying concealed firearms, and teaching CCW classes, I think this is a dumb, and piss poor attitude. Just my opinion, I see yours differs.

Teaching CCW and supporting the right to carry DOES NOT trump wanting to stay alive when dipchits come into the store waving a loaded firearm around.

Do you get all butt hurt when your range has a cease fire and makes you unload your weapon?

Chill out....

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're telling HIM to chill out? Geez.

Kevin, you did everything right as far as I can tell. You obeyed the sign, called for clarification and when you learned that he means "no CCW" you promised to obey that wish - forever.

As was pointed out, he is free to alienate all the customers he chooses to, for as long as he manages to avoid going broke in the process.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yeah I'm telling him to chill out.

I can't believe how some "guys" get so worked up and want to take stupid chit personally.

Then they get a good piss and moan going online with like minded chicks all over NOTHING.

Carry on...

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't believe you started a thread with O M G ! ! !

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure just about every gun store I've been in around here has the same sign on the door.

If I boycotted them all, I wouldn't have anywhere to go.

- Tom

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
KevinGibson: Insurance and civil laws and liberal courts/juries often mandate this type of sign that so offended you (and maybe rightfully so?).
Let me run past you just ONE scenario that resulted in lawsuits/lawyers/hard feelings AND a death!
I used to work off duty in unifrom in one of the nicest sport shops in the Pacific Norhtwest (Warshals Sporting Goods - Seattle, Washington 1st & Madison).
Myself and a couple other local officers worked there protecting the mostly Jewish shop personnel from the "urban youths" who often brazenly robbed and shoplifted from them!
We worked the afternoons and all day Friday and Saturdays.
One Monday morning in comes a suited gentleman and he walked over to the used gun rack put a shotshell into a shotgun and blew his brains out all over the ceiling and floor.
Sure enough relatives initiated a "civil action" for damages.
At least three employees went off on modest termed sick leave.
Lawyers were hired and MONIES were spent.
Insurance premiums got increased.
Etc, etc etc!
The owner (Mr. Warshal) contemplated and then invoked many restrictions and policy changes from that date hence.
One restriction that was contemplated but was NOT invoked, was, the posting of a sign restricting loaded arms in the store.
The Warshals store that I had shopped at for many decades closed not to long after the head blown off by shotgun blast incident.
You are welcome to be miffed at the restriction - but I am not sure YOU are holding the right party/parties responsible for your ire?
You might just conceal up real good one day and walk in and ask the OWNER how much extra in insurance premiums he would have to pay if he allowed folks to bring in loaded arms?
Aww... you have time for one more - some years before THE incident I just relayed, the same Warshals store had a gunsmithing shop upstairs - the shop employed three gunsmiths during one period of time.
In comes a gun for repair and one of the gunsmith handles the arm - it discharges a bullet and the gunsmith is injured!
IF, there had been "a prohibition of loaded arms" being brought into the store then the person bringing the loaded gun in would have been liable to a greater extent civily (monetarily).
PERHAPS your view of the gunshops restriction is POLITICAL - so be that, and again you MAY have a qualm there.
But I would bet the gunshop owner is pro-gun and just trying to live within the bounds of present day society (liberal judges and juries) and his insurance program/premium!
After all, whats the owner gonna do if you pack heat (concealed) into his shop and foil a robbery, an assault or a kidnapping - sue you?
Maybe, but I think not.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Kevin,

I'd not go back and I'd post the business name. That's flat out chickeschit.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
[quote=KevinGibson]

"... my home town has a population of under 15k. Violent crime is extremely low and things like armed robbery happen about once every 3-4 years."

Kevin, Forget that I am from Canada and also accept that it is legal for you to carry concealed in your jurisdiction. Given the conditions you outlined above can you give me a reasonable answer as to why you feel it is necessary to go armed around town?

Of course the bottom line is, the store owner has the right to impose any rules he wants and it is also your right to boycott his shop if you choose to.

Jim

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by bluegillman
guess i see both sides i see the irony. however i would think a gunshop would be about the last place i would need to carry

Not necessarily.

A local gun shop owner had a pair of guys come in a few years ago. They spoke very little English, and might have still been dripping water onto the floor. But they did manage to convey that they were interested in purchasing a handgun from the display case along with a box of ammo for same.

When the "customer" started to stuff ammo into the handgun, the gunshop owner started shouting "No" and drew his own carry piece. The customer did not desist, and the owner did shoot him once. Whereupon the perp dropped the handgun and left the premises trailing blood as he went. His buddy got him into their vehicle and they quickly exited the area.

The local cops never did find any trace of the pair.

A guy has got to be really stupid to attempt an armed robbery of a one man show, gun smithing and sales outfit.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
[quote=KevinGibson]

"... my home town has a population of under 15k. Violent crime is extremely low and things like armed robbery happen about once every 3-4 years."

Kevin, Forget that I am from Canada and also accept that it is legal for you to carry concealed in your jurisdiction. Given the conditions you outlined above can you give me a reasonable answer as to why you feel it is necessary to go armed around town?

Of course the bottom line is, the store owner has the right to impose any rules he wants and it is also your right to boycott his shop if you choose to.

Jim

Since we normally, don't know when we are going to get robbed or mugged, having it with us, takes all the guess work out.

Last edited by sactoller; 04/13/11.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been to shooting matches with signs posted saying, "Open or Out", and I agree 100%.

Unfortunately, the stupidity and carelessness of a few put a hardship of others, who practice safe gun handling.

Most of the posters on here have seen people come into gunstores that you would not want to even be in the same county with. Some of the stupidest and most careless gun handling I have ever seen has been in gun stores and at public shooting ranges.

I shot competition trap for many years. One day I was visiting one of those shoots where people shoot at released birds. They had a practice trap field where the hunters could warm up and practice. I watched for a few minutes and left. If that had been a registered trap shoot, every single one of those shooters would have been kicked of the field within 5 minutes. It still amazes me that someone was not killed.

Folks, THESE are the type people you will see in gun stores 99% of the time. I don't blame the owner. I would not want to be in a gun store with some of these people carrying a loaded gun, either. I certainly did not feel safe standing near that trap field, and you KNEW the guns were loaded, because I had watched them load 5 shells before they even got to the firing line to shoot at ONE target.

You ever see them in a gun store wanting to buy a box of cartridges the night before opening day, and they do not even know the caliber of the gun they borrowed for their first ever deer hunt?

I would be offended if the owner let someone like this walk into a gun store carrying a loaded gun

Have any of you ever seen someone who has a gun and doesn't even know how to check to see if it is loaded? I have. It is not a warm and fuzzy feeling, if he has just swung the muzzle across your face.

Everyone makes his own decisions. My decision is that I would not even go into a gun store where I knew the owner was lax in enforcing gun safety, and to me, gun safety is not allowing the general public to bring in a loaded gun.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Much like opinions, we all have choices to make. If you don't care for mine that's fine, I might not care for yours either. It is what it is.....

Huntinut

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The oldest gunshop in our town has a sign on the door (for years) that says:

"Please unload gun and remove ski mask before entering!"

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
KevinGibson: Insurance and civil laws and liberal courts/juries often mandate this type of sign that so offended you (and maybe rightfully so?).
Let me run past you just ONE scenario that resulted in lawsuits/lawyers/hard feelings AND a death!
I used to work off duty in unifrom in one of the nicest sport shops in the Pacific Norhtwest (Warshals Sporting Goods - Seattle, Washington 1st & Madison).
Myself and a couple other local officers worked there protecting the mostly Jewish shop personnel from the "urban youths" who often brazenly robbed and shoplifted from them!
We worked the afternoons and all day Friday and Saturdays.
One Monday morning in comes a suited gentleman and he walked over to the used gun rack put a shotshell into a shotgun and blew his brains out all over the ceiling and floor.
Sure enough relatives initiated a "civil action" for damages.
At least three employees went off on modest termed sick leave.
Lawyers were hired and MONIES were spent.
Insurance premiums got increased.
Etc, etc etc!
The owner (Mr. Warshal) contemplated and then invoked many restrictions and policy changes from that date hence.
One restriction that was contemplated but was NOT invoked, was, the posting of a sign restricting loaded arms in the store.
The Warshals store that I had shopped at for many decades closed not to long after the head blown off by shotgun blast incident.
You are welcome to be miffed at the restriction - but I am not sure YOU are holding the right party/parties responsible for your ire?
You might just conceal up real good one day and walk in and ask the OWNER how much extra in insurance premiums he would have to pay if he allowed folks to bring in loaded arms?
Aww... you have time for one more - some years before THE incident I just relayed, the same Warshals store had a gunsmithing shop upstairs - the shop employed three gunsmiths during one period of time.
In comes a gun for repair and one of the gunsmith handles the arm - it discharges a bullet and the gunsmith is injured!
IF, there had been "a prohibition of loaded arms" being brought into the store then the person bringing the loaded gun in would have been liable to a greater extent civily (monetarily).
PERHAPS your view of the gunshops restriction is POLITICAL - so be that, and again you MAY have a qualm there.
But I would bet the gunshop owner is pro-gun and just trying to live within the bounds of present day society (liberal judges and juries) and his insurance program/premium!
After all, whats the owner gonna do if you pack heat (concealed) into his shop and foil a robbery, an assault or a kidnapping - sue you?
Maybe, but I think not.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I bought my first Filson Mackinaw at Warshals many years ago. That was a wonderful sporting goods store with that old timey general store ambiance. Sorry hear it's no longer.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,782 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.