-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend who is a salmon fisherman in Homer. I asked him once and he told me that whenever they go ashore, they carry Mossberg mariner shotguns with slugs. I asked why every time I see someone in Alaska walking around, they are carrying a Blackhawk. He said it was better than throwing rocks but if you knew you were going to run into bears, you were stupid not to carry a shotgun.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldForester
Where do you get these 250 grain .308 caliber bullets?

Barnes used to make them in cup 'n core construction - back when that's all they made.

Pretty tuff find these days. Last box of factory ammo I bought for my 300 Winny were topped with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
He measured right at 28 inches and with no streching 9'10"
Damn nice bear, I bet your hunter was very happy that you were able to recover it for him.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Polska
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Polska
Don't you feel just a tad foolish contradicting someone like say... I don't know... Maybe someone like Phil Shoemaker? You know, like, someone not guessing?

Maybe someone that would never write something like the guessers that you are guessing about writing about bear imunity to the 375?

That is some strange fantasy stuff you have going on there for bears... and just an FYI... 30mph equals less than 59 yards covered in 4 seconds... and assumes the bear starts at and maintains that the whole way... Step away from the Kool-Aid.
art

I have no problems with Phil Shoemaker a.k.a. 458win. I'm not contradicting him. I think he knows way more about bears and hunting them then I will probably ever know unless i move to alaska and live there the rest of my life... which is a dream at this point. I've seen videos of people shooting bears with .375's and them not going down right away.. .and it makes sense, the .375 only shoots a 300 grain bullet, thats only a little bit larger then a .30-06. Bears don't need super fast bullets, they need moderate penetartions with big bullets that will do maximum damage for a humane kill.. don't bitch at me cause your not man enough to shoot a .416 or larger. I laugh when i hear about all these hunters going to alaska or africa with .338's or .375's... because they are afraid of recoil. It's all mental weakness, you need the courage, and fortitude and passion to practice and master a big bore. If you can't shoot a .458 lott as good as your .22, and your planning to hunt the most dangerou animal in the world... then you are stupid as hell and asking for trouble. You wouldn't change cut down a tree with a hacksaw would you? I mean you could... you could kill a bear witha .22 also. I didn't even read what Phil Shoemaker's comments, I just read the original post and commented. You can disagree with me but you don't have to get nasty.

Polska
Actually, you were contradicting Phil. And did it again.

Oh, I have shot a few bears... and used a number of different rifles and cartridges to do it. And I have backed up bear hunters a whole lot of times. I have even shot bears coming in hard and fast.

If you read more and post less you may learn something. Guessing and giving out bad advice is not making you look better. Courage and passion is somehow not what I think of when I go to the range...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geeezus, now he's telling us 338's and 375's are not efficient bear guns. Glad I sold my 375 H&H then..........lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You guys need to quit arguing with Polska. He has firsthand experience in these things. He watched all those videos firsthand.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"His Master's Voice?"

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guns for bear protection in Alaska??

I think the bears can protect themselves just fine.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the early 70's I saw a few guides with shotguns and 10 years later most had gone back to the bolt action rifle in .375H&H or a .458 Win mag. Onw or two I spoke to even carried a short barrel 30-06 with 220 grn bullets in the magazine. A .338 Win mag with 250 to 300 grn bullets will certainly curtail any charge by a bear if your accurate enough to hit the target and have nerves of steel!!!

Polska the fastest bear in the world can not cover 100 yards in 3 seconds, just so you realize. However, a bear can sure as hell cover 40 yards in less than 3.5 seconds from a standing start. There are very few big game hunters who could shoulder a rifle and stop a charge with "1-shot". This takes a very experienced guide like a Phil Shoemaker, who has been there many times..........under pressure in the do or die situation.

Last edited by Tonk; 04/12/11.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Polska
Don't you feel just a tad foolish contradicting someone like say... I don't know... Maybe someone like Phil Shoemaker? You know, like, someone not guessing?

Maybe someone that would never write something like the guessers that you are guessing about writing about bear imunity to the 375?

That is some strange fantasy stuff you have going on there for bears... and just an FYI... 30mph equals less than 59 yards covered in 4 seconds... and assumes the bear starts at and maintains that the whole way... Step away from the Kool-Aid.
art

I have no problems with Phil Shoemaker a.k.a. 458win. I'm not contradicting him. I think he knows way more about bears and hunting them then I will probably ever know unless i move to alaska and live there the rest of my life... which is a dream at this point. I've seen videos of people shooting bears with .375's and them not going down right away.. .and it makes sense, the .375 only shoots a 300 grain bullet, thats only a little bit larger then a .30-06. Bears don't need super fast bullets, they need moderate penetartions with big bullets that will do maximum damage for a humane kill.. don't bitch at me cause your not man enough to shoot a .416 or larger. I laugh when i hear about all these hunters going to alaska or africa with .338's or .375's... because they are afraid of recoil. It's all mental weakness, you need the courage, and fortitude and passion to practice and master a big bore. If you can't shoot a .458 lott as good as your .22, and your planning to hunt the most dangerou animal in the world... then you are stupid as hell and asking for trouble. You wouldn't change cut down a tree with a hacksaw would you? I mean you could... you could kill a bear witha .22 also. I didn't even read what Phil Shoemaker's comments, I just read the original post and commented. You can disagree with me but you don't have to get nasty.

Polska
Actually, you were contradicting Phil. And did it again.

Oh, I have shot a few bears... and used a number of different rifles and cartridges to do it. And I have backed up bear hunters a whole lot of times. I have even shot bears coming in hard and fast.

If you read more and post less you may learn something. Guessing and giving out bad advice is not making you look better. Courage and passion is somehow not what I think of when I go to the range...
art

You should, because it seems like you lack a lot of it.

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might try the posture of a student for awhile. I think that might work better for you. You can "know" some of these guys even without meeting them if you take the time. You may not like everyone, but many are worthy of some respect even if we're not all likable. Try it out. It's the internet, but we can still act like human beings.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Try it out. It's the internet, but we can still act like human beings.

Thank you, Sir. True words.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
art

You should, because it seems like you lack a lot of it.

I cannot help you if you refuse to listen...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"How could one really know how "cool" they would be in a charge situation in order to place that well constructed bullet where it needs to go. "

Actually, there is a way. After the first time it's like riding a bicycle. But with more adrenaline.

I can personally speak to only half of it, having never had to actually pull the trigger in said situation. The bears were only foolin'..... and time slows waaaay down....... but then I don't go around deliberately antagonizing them by poking non- lethal holes (or any holes in the case of browns) in them either. YMMV smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Listening to a city punk like polska would get us all killed...wearing a suit of chainmaille, holding a spear in our cold dead fingers. I guarandamntee you Poska would cry like a sissy if she shot a .458 Lott. Nice imagination though, moron. The crap you dream up boggles my mind. Keep watching videos and using that first grade imagination. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
but he's seen the video and he's saving up for his first big gun...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In my experience recoil tolerance is inversely proportional to the amount of bragging done...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
In my experience recoil tolerance is inversely proportional to the amount of bragging done...

Yep.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I hate it. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You hate "recoil tolerance?" smile

Give me a call on the morrow' if you have the opportunity...

beerhuntr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (01Foreman400, 14idaho, 35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 6 invisible), 1,532 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,317
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.