-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Has anyone either shot or used Kimber's Ultra CDP II pistol chambered in 45 ACP? If so what are your overall impressions of it as well as thoughts for a concealed carry function?

Kimber Ultra CDP II

Thanks gang,

~grissins

"Quis qustodiet ipsos custodes"
(Who will guard the guards?)
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Ran the Ultra Carry, and the wife ran the Eclipse Ultra. Both were superb, functioned flawlessly, and shot FAR better than most would expect.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the pro, four inch barrel, and think very highly of it. Don't see how you could do better for the money. I have had mine about six months and have had no problems at all with it. Great gun.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
How does accuracy go with such a short barrel?

~grissins

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by grissins

Far better than most are capable of shooting one, that's how it goes.

Seriously, it's WAY better than necessary for defensive purposes.

Fret not the accuracy.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd stay away from 3in 1911's. I'd get a 4in, and it would say S&W Scandium. No MIM for me, thank you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by grissins

Shooting from a rest with good handloads, I can put seven rounds in a three inch circle at twenty five yards. I'm sure there are lots of people that can do better as my eyes are seventy six years young now. The Kimber is a great gun, regardless of a lot of bull you read. The four inch is easy to shoot but no three inch for me.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It is a nice pistol but I don't favor 45s for concealed carry.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I considered the Ultra but went with the Pro as it fit my hand better.
Take a look at the Tactical Pro II, great gun!

JD338

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
It is a nice pistol but I don't favor 45s for concealed carry.

Well, I gotta ask why not? What is your favorite and why?

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Because I typically use an 'inside the pants' holster and most 45s are too wide to be even slightly comfortable. I carry a Kahr PM9. Outside with a jacket over is another matter- the Kimber would be great for that. I carry a Glock 22 when I need more firepower- it is a nice trade between power and mag capacity and they are pretty much indestructible. I have been bucked off, fallen down ravines and ripped through oak brush and all I have to do is dump the dirt and leaves out of the holster (kydex) and everything is fine. I blow the pistol off with compressor when I get home. I like a combat gun to be pretty rugged and not so much emphasis on accurate or 'tight'.

Just my opinion after 20+ years of LE and firearms instruction and carrying a pistol every day for 25 years.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have the Ultra Carry II with crimson trace.More accurate than me and no problem with IWB carry.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Because I typically use an 'inside the pants' holster and most 45s are too wide to be even slightly comfortable. I carry a Kahr PM9. Outside with a jacket over is another matter- the Kimber would be great for that. I carry a Glock 22 when I need more firepower- it is a nice trade between power and mag capacity and they are pretty much indestructible. I have been bucked off, fallen down ravines and ripped through oak brush and all I have to do is dump the dirt and leaves out of the holster (kydex) and everything is fine. I blow the pistol off with compressor when I get home. I like a combat gun to be pretty rugged and not so much emphasis on accurate or 'tight'.

Just my opinion after 20+ years of LE and firearms instruction and carrying a pistol every day for 25 years.

I carry a full sized 1911 in a Mich Rosen IWB holster every day and do not find a 1911 to be too wide or uncomfortable

I also own a Kimber Ultra CDP ll and find taht it carries the same in an IWB holster as does the 5" 1911. The Kimber is accurate but mine is sensittive to carttridge oner all lenght in order to function perfectly

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Guess it depends what you want and like. I like 45ACP compact pistols IWB for concealed carry. So I have a stainless UC-II Kimber. Light, easy to conceal, comfortable and I don't feel under-gunned with a 45. Others obviously disagree, as you've seen.

A good pistol and I would buy it again.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had an Eclipse Ultra several years ago, but it was unreliable (FTF, FTE). It was very accurate, had a great trigger, recoil felt less than the Eclipse Pro II that took its place (the later is extremely reliable). Just my experience, and in fairness, I did not send it back; Kimber would likely have fixed it up fine.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I frequently carry an S&W Commander sized PD in a Milt Sparks ISB holster. Works well, concealable and comfortable.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Well as time passed i opted for the Springfield Armory XD-M 3.8" Compact 45ACP. I have been very pleased with this as a CC unit. It came with the 11 piece gearbox set with assorted accessories and it has been a nice addition.

I had a chance to talk to a rep personally from Springfield Armory this last weekend at a local gunshow (since i am only about 1hr away from Springfield's HQ) he mentioned the XD-S that will be released in March (a single stack version) with less capacity of course 5+1 but a smaller overall size in a 3.3" sounded very interesting if you are opting toward something in 45ACP.

Here are some pictures for comparison.

www.runcss.com/MAI/DSCN9240.jpg
or
www.runcss.com/MAI/actualsize-top.jpg

~grissins

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (257 roberts, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 160user, 21, 44 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,370
Posts18,527,370
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.