Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
not saying you don't get them. You said the typical buck you get is 210 gutted. "typical" or "average" pretty much the same thing.

Tommy,
Just to clarify, I didn't say that. wink smile

I get a kick out of folks that think their 160# is 200# too. grin

And you're right, Northern MN has the Canadian strain of whitetails, they're far more sturdy than our northern deer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

WI deer are decievig IMO...they are short in length, and height, but fat ( a lot like me). This is the last I'll squawk on this tread about it.

Tom,

I can't believe you just admitted that !

Paul

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane

Tommy,

I know...I used the "quick reply"

You probably don't know what a 200# buck looks like either. You just shoot them big Canuck bastards. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

WI deer are decievig IMO...they are short in length, and height, but fat ( a lot like me). This is the last I'll squawk on this tread about it.

Tom,

I can't believe you just admitted that !

Paul

Yeah, I prolly shouldn't have.

That Tink's 69 works a lot better than a guy would think. And fer Chrissakes....DON'T KEEP IT IN YOUR BACK POCKET!

grin

Last edited by tzone; 04/15/11.

J
jerry46 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Jerry-

Are you hunting with Tom Indrebo per chance?

SKane- We are hunting with Tom Indrebo. That is good I hope....He seems like a pretty straight guy.

Jerry

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jerry46
Jerry-

Are you hunting with Tom Indrebo per chance?

SKane- We are hunting with Tom Indrebo. That is good I hope....He seems like a pretty straight guy.

Jerry

Oh...THAT'S good. No need to worry. He might even get you on a decent buck wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jerry,
He's the guy that put Buffalo County on the map. You're in good hands.

WWP53D
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I hunted at my brother's farm about 30 miles west of Madison. Never seen more deer signs and big rubs. We hunted for a week and he got a 220 8 point and I got a 180lb one

Beautiful hardwoods, acorns and cornfields. Will return again this year

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's some beautiful country and boasts some really good deer - can't imagine why you'd wanna go back. laugh

WWP53D
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I used to live in Eau Claire, my great grandfather had a farm south of Gilmanton. We used to hunt there every year on opening weekend. This is back in the late 70's and early 80's. I don't now how it is now, but you could only use shotguns with slugs and it was buck or doe opening weekend. On a drive we used to flush out 1/2 dozen deer out of every valley. We always filled our tags. We ate lots of venison in those days. Great grandpa died in 1986 at the great old age of 96. His son in law had conned him into selling him the farm. No one else knew of it until it was too late. Haven't been back since his funeral. He's buried in Wuamandee. Beautiful country.

Back to deer. Ya, they had a reputation for being "corn fed" and big, but not as many were amazing like Iowa or MN deer, but they all tasted good. I used an Ithica 20 guage model 37 and shot every deer under 50 yards. Brings back memories.

Enjoy your hunt. Buffalo county is nothing like it used to be. Wealth and development has taken over like every other remote beautiful place in the state. Our deer camp fell apart. Now I hunt north by Hayward where deer aren't as plentiful. Shooting a doe should be criminal.

Ahhhh, the good old days.

Thanks for taking me back.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DC,

Most of the deer in northern WI are "corn fed" too - a pile of yellow acorns can appear out of nowhere. laugh

WWP53D
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'd worry more about that G'damned earn a buck than I would about what it takes to put a buck down.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DCPlumber
I used to live in Eau Claire, my great grandfather had a farm south of Gilmanton. We used to hunt there every year on opening weekend. This is back in the late 70's and early 80's. I don't now how it is now, but you could only use shotguns with slugs and it was buck or doe opening weekend. On a drive we used to flush out 1/2 dozen deer out of every valley. We always filled our tags. We ate lots of venison in those days. Great grandpa died in 1986 at the great old age of 96. His son in law had conned him into selling him the farm. No one else knew of it until it was too late. Haven't been back since his funeral. He's buried in Wuamandee. Beautiful country.

Back to deer. Ya, they had a reputation for being "corn fed" and big, but not as many were amazing like Iowa or MN deer, but they all tasted good. I used an Ithica 20 guage model 37 and shot every deer under 50 yards. Brings back memories.

Enjoy your hunt. Buffalo county is nothing like it used to be. Wealth and development has taken over like every other remote beautiful place in the state. Our deer camp fell apart. Now I hunt north by Hayward where deer aren't as plentiful. Shooting a doe should be criminal.

Ahhhh, the good old days.

Thanks for taking me back.

I grew up in Eau Claire. Go Old Abes!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
not saying you don't get them. You said the typical buck you get is 210 gutted. "typical" or "average" pretty much the same thing.

I could win hudreds of dollars each year sitting at the feed mill in Butternut betting guys their, true, mature, trophy bucks DON'T weight 200#.

I watched a grown man throw a tantrum because his "230# buck" ONLY weighed 190# on the scale. It was a beautiful buck, a true trophy pushing 160", and this man was pissed because there's no way a deer like that can ONLY weigh 190#.

WI deer are decievig IMO...they are short in length, and height, but fat ( a lot like me). The big bucks I've shot in MN are long suckers, basketball playin' bucks. The largest buck our crew got in WI was a 168", 209#'er shot in the last week of October. I would have swore up and down it was a 225#+ deer, but when it was in the back of the truck it was short, but damn that thing was as big around as 55 gal. barrel.

This is the last I'll squawk on this tread about it.

We have a party that hunts near Spooner, big buck there body wise is going to run 170 - 180 lbs, that's a mature deer.

In MN, East Central part of the state our last 6 bucks have went 215, 210, 205, 190 and 185 (2) - that's the last 3 years and all have been 4+ year olds. These are all dressed weights on a fairly accurate scale. For whatever reason they don't grow as big in the part of WI that other members of our party hunt, not sure why (they're racks are better over there!).

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by cfran
For whatever reason they don't grow as big in the part of WI that other members of our party hunt, not sure why (they're racks are better over there!).

They don't have to get as big. Winter is at least a few weeks shorter there. Probably more like a month.

Until this year, I lived near Wausau for the last 11 years. There is a big difference in weather from there to here. (north of the twin cities 25 miles.)

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Small world. I'm a mid 80's Old Abe too. Coached by Birkel.

J
jerry46 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
I'd worry more about that G'damned earn a buck than I would about what it takes to put a buck down.

I may be wrong, but I understood that they stopped the earn a buck program.

J
jerry46 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
You guys have got me thinking about hunting in days gone by. I can still remember the first time my dad put me on a deer stand. I was 12 years old and it was about 5:30 in the morning and so dark I could not see my hand in front of my face. After he walked off, I could hear every sound. I shot my first buck on that same stand a few years later. That was in Pennsylvania.

Now I am anxious to hunt Wisconsin. I have wanted to go there for a number of years.

Last edited by jerry46; 04/23/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jerry46
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter

I may be wrong, but I understood that they stopped the earn a buck program.

Jerry - 2010 earn-a-buck applied only to deer management units (DMU) that were in a Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) DMU unit. Stay tuned that could change for 2011.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Tommy,

I get a kick out of folks that think their 160# is 200# too. grin

And you're right, Northern MN has the Canadian strain of whitetails, they're far more sturdy than our northern deer.

Actually the largest bodied deer on record is from MN and dressed at just over 400lbs. Our state record is from the UP and dressed in the upper 300lb range. I think there was a few WI that were in that range also IIRC. Most obviously don't get close to that, but one of the problems we have here is it's hard to get bucks to maturity due to the volume of hunters. A few years ago some check station data recorded around 2% of bucks coming through were 4.5 and older. I think we'd see a lot more of the 200+ dressed out if they were mature deer instead of a bulk being 1.5 and 2.5 year olds.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 71 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,076
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.