Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
He also said the 6.5 hit harder than carteidge ??

GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by hawkins
He also said the 6.5 hit harder than carteidge ??

How about taking another run at your point, but try ENGLISH this time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I think the aticle he wrote on the .340 Weatherby was very refreshing and showed up the industry for being quite stale at that time.

John

I remember that article in Guns 'n Ammo in the late 80s or early 90s. Built my own then and hunted it for 20 years.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sorry bout that, he said that the 6.5 hit louder than any
other cartridge hehad ever heard hit an animal.
Still a questionable statement.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
My favorite Ross Seyfried story dates back to when he still lived on the ranch in Colorado following his stint as a professional hunter in Africa. I can't vouch for all the details.

Seems that late one summer afternoon, Ross stopped by a local watering hole to rinse out a little dust. He'd spent the day working hay on the ranch. As he was relaxing, a group of bikers stopped by and gave the local character a hard time. Ross left quietly. The proprietor then told the bikers, "You know that guy who just left? He wears those funny short pants and ankle high boots because that's what he wore while he was a professional hunter stomping across Africa. He says that they are appropriate dress for summer work here. He usually keeps a .45 no farther than his pickup, and he's a national champion using it. His family settled this county, and he has lots of friends around here. Sure hope they don't come in and mess up my place."

Ross knows his stuff and most pleasant to associate with. He is an honorable man.

Ross bought and paid for this testimonial. He is one of very few who has insisted on buying my meal. When Ross announces, "I get this check; do you understand?", you say "Thank you very much."

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
grin

μολὼν λαβέ
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good story Ken, no doubt about the veracity of the details.

One day Ross left the ranch and drove to an IPSC match in Aurora. Somewhere between Roggen and Aurora on one of the back roads, a car of hispanics pulled up beside him, yelling, making gestures, etc. They accelerated over the ridge and disappeared. A couple of ridges later, Ross topped the hill and saw the car stopped sideways, blocking the road. He stopped the car and got out. He had his competition Sparks holster, mag pouch and Pachmayr on. IIRC from he told me, he said, "do you fellows want to discuss Colorado driving laws?" They saw his rig and decided to vamos quick-like. Talk about picking on the wrong guy!! That was prior to his world-shoot win when he was pretty much just shooting-reloading-feeding cattle. It would have made an interesting case study!! :-)

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have always appreciated Ross's genuine respect for the game.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd like to read more from him - there is a market for his writings.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I think a compendium of his Guns and Ammo Articles would sell really well. Fat chance that'll ever happen though...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
he said that the 6.5 hit louder than any
other cartridge he had ever heard hit an animal
As I recall it, he said the sound of the hit was weak enough he worried it hadn't done the job.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Re: your poster name - Zagger and Evans? (If that makes no sense, it's probably because you are not old enough. In that case, ignore the question.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 2525
he said that the 6.5 hit louder than any
other cartridge he had ever heard hit an animal
As I recall it, he said the sound of the hit was weak enough he worried it hadn't done the job.
The article in question was published in Rifle No. 208, July-August 2003, titled " Ken's and Ross's and Lisa's Favorite Rifle". Lisa is the lady who Ross's son Rich guided on an elk hunt; she carried the rifle in question, a .256 Dutch Mannlicher by Henry Atkin. Here is the quote:

"The small "pop" from the Atkin did not give the impression of power, and Rich described it as a weak feeling, one that in parts of a second made him wish for our usual level of horsepower. But a tiny instant later, the sound of a tremendous blow being delivered returned to their ears. He described it as one of the loudest "hits" he had ever experienced. Too, they gained confidence from the sight of "her chin nearly hitting the ground". When you realize that elk often and regularly do not react to bullets, almost never go down to the shot and routinely run off with really big hits, the power of the wee Highlander is impressive. The cow made it less than 20 yards."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
I have always appreciated Ross's genuine respect for the game.

This reminds me of his article about the Bull Elk and the Cat.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
So now all thats left is buying it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bandukwallah
"The small 'pop' from the Atkin did not give the impression of power, ..."

Ah, that is what I remembered, then. Sorry about that, hawkins.

O
O
The articles of Ross Seyfried have been very important for my own hunting and shooting life here in Germany. My absolute favourite has been "6,5-it does it all" which led my to buy a custom 1909 in exactly that caliber in 1991. I shot it (and still do) on many occasions for roedeer, reddeer in Scotland and chamois in the alps mostly with 140 grain Partition, it never led me down. Now another one from Ralf Martini is in the making.
Also the article about the 45 pistols, the 7x57, the one about the 416, and nearly everything in shooters in sight provided lots of knowledge. Nowadays I look forward to every issue in the Double Gun Journal, the article about the 318 Westley was fantastic. What I like on Ross Sefrieds writing is the combination of in-depth knowledge combined with a deep respect for the animal and ethics. It would be fantastic if there would be an opportunity to get a compedium or book of his best articles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OldWorld,

Welcome to the campfire.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Old World,

Thanks for your contribution, and another welcome to the Fire.

You may find it somewhat interesting.

Steve

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Too bad you didn't read the third post before yours.
Sorrybout that!

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

274 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 37 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,167
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.