Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Didn't know what forum to post this story on, so I figured the guys here might find it interesting...

My uncle, who is 75 years old went out scouting for turkeys early Tuesday morning. While walking down a tram road, next to a field, he noticed a coyote running across the field. The coyote ran only about 50 yards, when it stopped and looked behind it toward a wooded area. The coyote again ran about 50 yards, stopped and again looked toward the same wooded area. The coyote repeated this one more time, before it ran off.
My uncle then went to the wooded area and found a small hole in the ground, under a log, with six coyote pups...still with their eyes closed.
So my uncle decides he's going to kill these coyote's and was out there this morning a 6:00 A.M. He stayed until 10:00 A.M., with no sign of the mother coyote. The pups were still there.
Tomorrow, him and my cousin are going to try it in the afternoon. 11:00 A.M. till dark..If that doesn't work, they're going to try it at night. Hopefully the mother, doesn't move the pups on them.
I'll keep you posted...

Joe

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I may sound like an Ahole but I'd have killed all of em. Damn things eat everything. They're so thick on my GA lease that I won't let my beagle outta my sight.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by billy336
Damn things eat everything.

No....haven't you heard? Coyotes and wolves only eat things that are already dead or the sick and the old that are going to die anyway.

Don't you watch TV or read the papers?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Those pups eyes would never have opened if I found them. Not my opinion a few years ago. Game animal populations are suffering since the Coyote became more prevalent in our area. Pet populations are also getting hurt in local rural areas. These factors changed my views.

Last edited by ring3; 04/15/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have put my boot heel to em without hesitation.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 99guy

No....haven't you heard? Coyotes and wolves only eat things that are already dead or the sick and the old that are going to die anyway.

Do you have a reference on that statement...dogs HUNT and I've seen coyotes chase down rabbits etc.

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This came to me from a friend in PA.

These guys have been busy this winter!

This is Tony and Terry Undercuffer, and Punk Shick of Hawthorn, PA.
You think we don't have a coyote problem in western Pennsylvania ? Well think again!

These three boys shot over 400 hundred coyotes in western Pennsylvania from the first of
November to the first week of February 2011 within twenty-five miles of my home town.

There are 208 coyotes in this picture and the balance of the coyotes had mange. I do truly
thank these three boys for all the help in the control of these predators!

I'm a rancher in Oak Ridge , PA and without their help with predator control it would
be impossible to raise livestock. (see the pictures below)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Tail Goes Along With The Hide.

We should have picked our own cotton.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by johnsavage

Do you have a reference on that statement...dogs HUNT and I've seen coyotes chase down rabbits etc.

John, I think you missed the dripping sarcasm from his post where he was echoing what the bleeding heart liberals say. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your serious about eradicating coyotes from an area...best to leave the mange ridden ones to spread to the rest.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Jed 1899
If your serious about eradicating coyotes from an area...best to leave the mange ridden ones to spread to the rest.
Cant argue with that, but I kill everyone I see.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnsavage

Serious?

Unbelievable.

Like the guy I told heat up his barrel with a blow torch to get it off. And he actually did it. Guess I should have learned from that experience.

Jesus

Last edited by 99guy; 04/17/11.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
studies have well documented that the more coyotes you kill, the more they breed up to the limit created by available food/prey. Shooting, poisoning gives temporary relief at best in any locality. They need to be hunted universally and everywhere for eradication to be effective.

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Please believe me, I am not defending the coyote, or hawk, opossum or skunk that destroys game nests, or any other varmit that I have to compete with while either hunting, listening to a bobwhite, or enjoying my beagles but . . .
I think we land owners are equally to blame. The small game habitat has decreased a hundered fold within even my lifetime. Everyone seems to want to keep their farms like golf courses. Small game was meant to be eaten by predators. Predators were meant to eat small game. Baitfish do ok in a nice lake, but throw a shiner in an aquarium with a bass and see how long he last!!

I know I am preaching to the choir here. I know when I work at the white Sands Missle Range I see quail, rabbits, etc everywhere. I also see plenty of coyotes both day and night (they show up well with thermal IR imaging). To the point though, the small game has plenty of places to hide. the same thing on my Dad's farm in KY or heck even my 8 acre place (my neighbors bush hog each side of me, but even my small place will harbor a small covery and a rabbit or two that seems to take pleasure in leading my beagle on a lap or two).

If you have land, save a place for the small game. Spray, burn, strip disk, whatever it takes to eradicate the fescue and other invasive plants and see what happens. You'll still have to work on the 'yotes, but at least you'll up the odds for those things you enjoy.

Most of my family farms and my uncle tells the story of catching young rabbits while mowing hay with horses. His point is if he could catch a rabbit I should know that a coyote can. Well no kidding - but the fact of the matter is he didn't mow that big of an area relatively speaking when compared to what he now mows in the AC with a disk mower or 18' batwing. But, like a young man I used to hunt with and I would say - you can't pay the farm note with rabbit meat!!

Bryan

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -- John Adams

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 59 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,364
Posts18,527,270
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.