Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
+1

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Refresh my memory...are you in the hierarchy, the "brat pack"...or both??? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yes...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
K.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Originally Posted by logcutter
You think he really would?Just like mule deer(your friend) did on your 200 grain 30-06 overload nonsense....

Brad..You need to think before you speak........ grin

Mule Deer
Personally I don't think 2800 with a 200-grain is out of line with a 24" barreled .30-06.

Jayco

Since JB has tested many powers and bullets in the 30-06 with pressure testing equipment and he says it can be done, then his statement has validity.

Suppose you tell us about your expenrience loading the 30-06 and using pressure testing equipment to give your position validity

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

... Since JB has tested many powers and bullets in the 30-06 with pressure testing equipment and he says it can be done, then his statement has validity.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but, as a curious observer, I guess I'd ask JB to tell us what powders and bullets and brass and primers have worked, what barrel lengths were used, and what the pressures were.

Like Reagan said - "Trust but verify". Nothing wrong with asking for details, much is wrong if they can't be produced.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by logcutter
quote John where he said the 338 'won't' numb'em.

Well if you read above..John said it takes atleast a dozen(Thats 12) to get an idea if a caliber/bullet works and he said better yet,several dozen(like 24-36-48) I assume....And he has shot only 4(if he remembers right) with the 338 Win Mag.

So I guess he doesn't know if it numbs them or not...Like the survey he took on the fire he he so proudly bragged about...

And I quote..............

With the .338 and elk part of my skepticism comes from a survey on the Campfire several years ago--after yet another post proclaiming the greatness of the .338. Turned out he had shot one elk with the .338.

So I asked everybody else to post their experience with the .338. It turned out that very few had taken more than a dozen animals with the cartridge, and the average was between 4 and 5. In my experience, a dozen animals is a start on learning what a cartridge will do, but several dozen is a much better number. Four or five doesn't tell us much at all.

What a slam to the normal Joes here on the fire and I seem to be the only one to question John, and he answers by not answering.....And kaboom...Like a man..He puts me on ignore rather than than answer like a man......

Ignore is for puzzies that can't handle it....I don't have now or ever will have anyone on ignore,because,I can handle it or ignore it which ever comes first...Like a Man......

Again..My opinion....

Jayco

You are an idiot. My opinion.

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Thats most everybody's opinion on here.....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Tom264
Thats most everybody's opinion on here.....

No doubt....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

... Since JB has tested many powers and bullets in the 30-06 with pressure testing equipment and he says it can be done, then his statement has validity.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but, as a curious observer, I guess I'd ask JB to tell us what powders and bullets and brass and primers have worked, what barrel lengths were used, and what the pressures were.

Like Reagan said - "Trust but verify". Nothing wrong with asking for details, much is wrong if they can't be produced.

Also no dog, but a big plus-one on the providing of details with any load that is, shall we say, outside accepted bounds.

I've not followed who's arguing what here, and I'm not in any way intending the above as a knock on JB! He's VERY forthcoming with load data. To say the least. And how. smile

This was my beef with Stick's 7-08 load the other year. It's just bad form to claim a velocity that completely disagrees with published data, then refuse to provide details.

Here's MY experience with 200's pushed hard from a 22" 30-06. Using RL17, at 2740 fps the primer fell out of the case upon ejection. crazy

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jeff O, I haven't needed 200 grainers in an 06 for any reason so I haven't tried them w/any powder. I have however loaded 180s in 06 & 300s.

I would THINK RL17 might be a little fast for 200g. in 06 case. JB, as you know, specified a 24" bll. So with a little slower powder & 24" bll. 2800 fps isn't a RAINBOW promise.

RL22 might be too slow. I would start w/4350 AND IMR 4831 and w/a 24" bll, 2800 fps SHOULD be very close or on target.

We know about lot/lot variation in powders & primers + velocity variation in BARRELS so NOTHING is guaranteed. These suggestions are where I would start.

JWALL

VEGETARIAN.........Indian Word For Poor Hunter

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
After reading through the thread, I'll cautiously stick a toe in the water. I haven't read everything JB has written on the .338 WM, but I've noticed a recurring theme in his work, viz. he recognizes the way bullet "R and D" has changed hunting equations. Lighter weights and smaller diameters seem to be able to accomplish more than some older "cup and core" projectiles. My favorite "JBism": The secret to effectively harvesting game is to put "the pointy end of the bullet in the front part of the animal". smile

PC

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I agree completely, nothing wrong with asking for details, but that doesn't seem to be the case with logcutter

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PeterCartwright
After reading through the thread, I'll cautiously stick a toe in the water. I haven't read everything JB has written on the .338 WM, but I've noticed a recurring theme in his work, viz. he recognizes the way bullet "R and D" has changed hunting equations. Lighter weights and smaller diameters seem to be able to accomplish more than some older "cup and core" projectiles. My favorite "JBism": The secret to effectively harvesting game is to put "the pointy end of the bullet in the front part of the animal". smile

PC

That is my impression,also.
Makes good sense to me, though I have yet to kill an elk, so I would call this 'a two cents worth' post.
laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If one has the ability, and confidence with a 338, then why not?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=jwp475]...

I agree completely, nothing wrong with asking for details, but that doesn't seem to be the case with logcutter

Logcutter is OK in my book. Of course some people think I'M a horse's ass... smile

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
If one has the ability, and confidence with a 338, then why not?

There ya go.....agreed. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
This is not at you Bob but I am in a hurry so I just clicked...It is cool to see the boys come out of the woodwork when someone isn't here..I love it...

But,I would rather be out bear hunting every AM(like i have been) with 525 grains of lead out of my BFR 45-70 at 1300 fps and Stealheading till dark than talking to a couple of you city boys with a big mouth on the almighty internet where everyone is a guru...

That BFR is just so heavy and hard to handle..Wished I was man enough to pack and shoot it.. grin grin grin

Just trying to get as experienced as the big boys that chime in, not with experiences and facts,just insults and games like High School....'ya no....

Jayco grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As far as 'shootability' of the 338 goes, they don't seem bad to shoot, at least in my experience(limited to 2 M77s with 225gr pills @ 2800-2850 fps exclusively).
Certainly kicks less than my 340s!!!
laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have never owned one,nor evn a 300mag.I don't have the physcial ability to handle the recoil.My perception is such that a 50 bmg will certainly numb them also,but is it required?
No insults or sarcasim here.If one can handle them,go to it.I just don't see the sense of such self abuse.

In truthfulness,I have never shot any big game species a dozen times or more with any one cartridge,as I have tried diffrent ones over the years and certainly have more than several dozen (+36), to my credit.Probably the closest to a dozen I have come are elk with an .06

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

390 members (21, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2500HD, 33 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,691
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.