Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5163502 04/19/11
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I acquired a unfired Remington Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag. Im really thinking about having the factory barrel rechambered to 7STW, trueing the action and putting on a break since I already have 2 Rem Mags. I wanted to rechamber the factory barrel to save money since Im already putting all my money in a new BR gun. What are your thoughts on this round for hunting and the occasional paper shooting. Talk me out or into it. Right now Im pretty set on having it done and maybe replace the barrel later on down the road if and when needed.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Go for it, I have two of them and they are great. Not the most efficient round but I like it. I am betting a lot of people will tell you not to do it. I really don't think you will need a break. I have a Classic Sporter Model 70 which I think will be lighter than the Sendero and it is tolerable off the bench. My other one is a Model 70 with a #4 26" Brux tube on it and it is really tame. I run 140gr TTSX's in both of them, and they put the hurt on whitetails.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Mine started as a Remmy action in 7 rem mag.....be advised you might have to have some work done on the action to make it feed/eject right. The ejection port needed to be bigger for the longer case on mine. Very accurate with the slow burning powders like H1000 and 140 gr bullets going warp speed. Deer get dead quick but meat damage can be noteworthy. Head shots are best, usually just the ears are left.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Talk me out or into it

I am betting a lot of people will tell you not to do it.

You must have a good reason for saying that.

My question to the OP is what does he hope to gain from going STW?

If you want flat shooting just load the 7mm mag with 120 grain bullets at 3,500 mv.

example...
I run 140gr TTSX's in both of them, and they put the hurt on whitetails.

At 3,450 with a BC of .412 out of a STW

OR a 7mm Mag shooting 120 BT with a BC of .417 at 3,500 fps.

Advantage goes to the 7mm mag with it's lesser recoil.

For long range work past 500 y load 168's or 180's They'll do anything you'll ever need without adding another 15 grains powder and recoil.

I punched a Browning 78 28" barrel from 7mm mag to STW. Not worth it, and will never go there again.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SU35

My question to the OP is what does he hope to gain from going STW?

Because I have owned hundreds of guns in tons of calibers and the 7stw is one I havent owned. I have owned other stw but not a 7stw. I guess just because.

Last edited by Splittine; 04/19/11.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
Mine started as a Remmy action in 7 rem mag.....be advised you might have to have some work done on the action to make it feed/eject right. The ejection port needed to be bigger for the longer case on mine. Very accurate with the slow burning powders like H1000 and 140 gr bullets going warp speed. Deer get dead quick but meat damage can be noteworthy. Head shots are best, usually just the ears are left.

That would be a really stupid thing to do to a 7mm Rem/mag that shoots. With bergers that thing will kill farther than you can hit, I'd bet.

The 7mmSTW was based on the 8mm Rem which is a longer action, which means in addition to [bleep] up a good(likely) barrel, you'd be [bleep] the action up also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would never think of putting anykind of money into a factory barrel.
Thats like going to a titty bar and haveing a bad experience.
Not a thing wrong with the STW.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I love mine, shoots well, and has taken a few elk. My primary elk rifle is a 300 win mag. The STW is a little flatter and with H-1000 pushes a 160 or 168 well beyond 3000. I don't have a break, and shoot prone frequently. Nosler AB or PT for hunting in the heavy weights.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would be more inclined to make a 7mm/375 Ruger. You would get the same performance with what I consider a proper fit in the magazine. I have had two 7 STWs and the seating depth leeway is very small.

The 7mm/375 Ruger is almost identical to the 7mm Dakota except the bolt face doesn't have to be enlarged and 375 Ruger brass is far cheaper.

FYI there are two types of 7 STW reamers. One is for opening up a 7 rem mag without any setback. It is slightly larger than the standard 7 STW reamer. I had a friend that had a new barrel chambered with one of those reamers and his custom dies didn't work properly, it was very frustrating. If you are going to rechamber that 7 rem mag IMO it would be better to set back the barrel a thread or so and clean up the chamber with the standard (smaller) 7 STW reamer.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

That would be a really stupid thing to do to a 7mm Rem/mag that shoots. With bergers that thing will kill farther than you can hit, I'd bet.

The 7mmSTW was based on the 8mm Rem which is a longer action, which means in addition to [bleep] up a good(likely) barrel, you'd be [bleep] the action up also.

Judging from your number of posts, I am sure you didn't mean to be intentionally rude. It was not a stupid thing to do, it was what I WANTED to do. I didn't mess up any barrels, I still have the brand new factory one and if you want it I will send it to you free. I don't shoot as well as I used to, but I wanted a 7stw and I really like it and shoot it pretty well, and I wouldn't trade back. YMMV

IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I had a winchester model 70 7 mm stw that would not shoot any faster than my 7 mag.Now I just shoot a 280 ackley and call it done.I would do whatever you want to do with it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well I'll chime in. I had a Win Mod 70 in 7STW. It shot 3535 fps w/140 ballistic tips, sub MOA. It was braked when I got it. Never hunted with it. Sold it in a weak moment.
I just rebarreled my Sako w/Lilja in a 7STW. Haven't shot it yet. All the previous rationales for doing it or not , don't mean squat. If you want it, go for it. You may learn something along the way.
just my 02.
sbsmith

Last edited by sbsmith; 04/23/11.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Judging from your number of posts, I am sure you didn't mean to be intentionally rude. It was not a stupid thing to do, it was what I WANTED to do. I didn't mess up any barrels, I still have the brand new factory one and if you want it I will send it to you free. I don't shoot as well as I used to, but I wanted a 7stw and I really like it and shoot it pretty well, and I wouldn't trade back. YMMV

I stand corrected and I apologize. Some of those Sendero barrels will really shoot, and I'm glad you still have it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A remington magazine box should already be long enough to handle the STW, you should be able to just rechamber and go. I disagree with the brake, it doesn't need it. The recoil is not noticably different than a 7mm rem mag, it's a pretty mild kicking round. I had a 7mm stw on a winchester M70 action with a #4 Hart barrel that shot bugholes. Unfortunately it was stolen in a break in at my father's house. Load data is scarce for the STW and what's out there is crazy conservative. I found mine to be worth about 250 fps over a 7mm rem mag with 140 gr bullets. 3500 fps with a 140 gr partition was easily doable. I say go for it, it's a fun round.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Once did some shooting with a Remington 700 BDL SS DB-M in 7mmSTW. That rifle was very accurate, once I had it bedded, and would shoot factory Remington 140 gr. Core-Lokt's at 3400 fps out of a 24" barrel. Hated the brake tho.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
7STW is pretty entertaining. H1000 and R22 have done all I need. No action modification is needed. I've had Douglas, Shilen and Lilja barrels in 7STW. All have been gone in about 800 rounds. 160 grain bullets and up are amazing. I think the STW is worth the bother.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have two custom 7 STW's and brother has 3 customs. We shoot the 140g nosler/winchester combined technology bullets that have the coating, these bullets reach their accuracy at speeds faster than the naked 140g Ballistic tips without pressure issues, deer have not taken a step with these bullets...they never blow up.

I had PT& G make a reamer with zero freebore, minimum SAAMI spec body, and 0.2845 throat so I have plenty of room in the Rem mag box with the STW. First time out groups with the 140's using 7828, Fed 215's result in very small groups
My rifle shoots the 120g Barnes at 3800 fps into very tiny groups with 7828 & WLRM primers and also with R#22 with Fed 215's. We shot a bunch of does with the old 120g Nosler Solid base lead tip bullets, and a friend in MO shoots all his deer with this old 120g bullet that he has a large stock pile of.

Brass is the real issue with the 7 STW. Winchester quit making the brass some time ago and Remington is soft.

I would urge you to look into the 7 Mashburn that is spoken of here on the board quite often which is based off the 300 Winchester case...it will be my next big 7. The advantages of the 7 Mashburn is that it is a shorter case, and your Sendero will have no feeding issues with the 7 Mashburn. Of course, Winchester brass is available in the 300 Winchester.

For short range (400 and under), the 120's barnes should not be underestimated...the accuracy with this bullet is like a shore nuff benchrest rifle!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What I always wonder seriously about... those that say a 7 rem mag is fine, don't waste time on the STW. But if thats the case, all that "extra" is a waste, then why isn't a 280 really enough, or a 7x57 for that matter.

Long as it ends up accurate, barrels are cheap enough. I'd do it because I wanted to.

Plus if you are in the realm of 7 Rem Mag recoil, and the 7 STW recoil hurts that much more... then I"d say go see the gynocologist is in order.

Of course I disagree with the light fast crowd.. my 7x300 wtby will likely never see anything less than 160, though I played with 140 and 150 I was not happy with destruction or group sizes.. still trying to get it to be happy with 180 bergers which was the original goal anyway until Barnes sees fit to make a 168 ttsx in 7mm...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The 140g Nosler C/T bullet shoots very well at 3600 fps out of my 700 Sendero with it's custom re chamber. Groups at 600 yards are about 3 1/2". I have not killed a deer at 600, but a hand full of does at 550(distance of our food plot). Does all dropped in their tracks at 550.

Shame of the 7 STW is that REm brass is all that is available and win is perhaps as much as 15%+ tougher than REm. There are two accuracy nodes in one of my rifles with the 140 C/T bullet, one at 3450 and the other at 3600.

154's top out at 3350 in my rifle, never shot any 160's.

The 120's shoot the smallest groups at 400 yards, in fact at 200 yards the groups are less than 1/2". The 120 Barnes tipped tripple shock shoots flatter than my 22/250 AI with 55g Bullets at 400 yards. Also, according to the ballistic tables, the 120's blow in the wind less than the 160's at 3200 fps.

Too bad that winchester quit making brass for this caliber.

I would go with a 7 Mashburn now if I were making a decision on a big 7.

Last edited by keith; 05/09/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7-375 Ruger

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (anothergun, AussieGunWriter, Amos63, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,691 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,829
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.