Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, nsaqam got me started on the left handed vs right handed situation on a differnet thread and I was wondering who the lefties are here. To me it seems like there are many more than usual (statistically speaking) here on the fire. I also want to know if you have a preference toward right handed rifles or left handed ones. I understand many grew up using right handed rifles since the availability may have been slim to none when you first started shooting. My first rifle was a sporteized m1917 with a heavy target barel on it and it was a tack driver. I got so used to the manipulation of the bolt handle on that side that now it feels like a monkey #$%$#@@ a football when I try to use my only left handed rifle in my battery. Would like to hear from you lefties here. Thanks, bsa....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good thread and I'd like to see where we lefties stand percentagewise.

I started out with RH rifles too but I will no longer buy nor use a RH bolt action rifle.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm a lefty, used right handed bolts until I started buying my own guns. After I used the left handed bolt at the range a couple times the right hand version felt wrong. I've traded out most everything but shotguns, and I prefer the tang safety if the gun is right handed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck I prefer the tang safety on any rifle.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
leftie here to boot, use both port and starboard sided weapons

"Just another day in Oz!"
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Being a left handed shooter you notice quickly the lack of affordable left handed bolt guns. You can't get into one under or around $300. I've transitioned entirely to Marlin levers and hunt/shoot accordingly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fellow "southpaw" here, started out hunting with model 94 that was my dads. As I got older and trasitioned into Bolts I shot right handed rifles. When I started buying my own I went lefty and just feel more comfotrable with them. Over the years my lefties have been Remingtons and Savages. Other than my military rifles all my bolt guns have been leftys. I think about the only Right handed hunting rifle I would consider would be a classy pre-64 Winchester model 70.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a lefty. Have both left and right bolt rifles but I prefer left. Also use a 7600 pump too.

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another lefty here, shooting lefty rifles except for Ruger #1 and 3s.

Steve

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm a left handed shooter. I have 2 RH rifles and the rest are LH. I hunt primarily with my LH rifles or my TC Encore. Can't wait for Winchester to start making LH rifles again.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There are 'limited lefties'(will not/cannot shoot LH rifles) and 'unlimited lefties' (can/will shoot RH rifles)..

nsaqam's limited.. I'm unlimited..

But still left.. laugh laugh

Last edited by Redneck; 04/23/11.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am as left handed as most people are right handed. I doubt I could find the bolt handle on a right handed gun. As a kid, I used shotguns with the safeties backwards to me. As an adult, I've been able to buy left hand rifles and swap safties on shotguns.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by southpawhunter
I am as left handed as most people are right handed. I doubt I could find the bolt handle on a right handed gun. As a kid, I used shotguns with the safeties backwards to me. As an adult, I've been able to buy left hand rifles and swap safties on shotguns.

You could always opt to buy a left handed shotgun or use an O/U or SXS. I got rid of all of my right handed shotguns and only use my lefties for wing shooting grin
Here are just a few I have:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sorry I got off the rifle subject blush

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm sure you guys remember when Col Craig Boddington wrote the article about having a house fire and having to replace all of his rifles. He said that was a good thing because he made the switch to all lefties. That got me to thinking back in the late 90's and I decided to do the same thing and got rid of some beauties, still kicking myself!!! Anyway that phase didn't last long. I bought a ruger mkii in 300 win mag and used it for everything for a while, but just didn't get used to it for some reason. I ended up buying some right handed rifles to feel normal again. Now I still have that left handed rifle, but don't think I'd get rid of it because of how well it shoots and it is a reminder of how I screwed up once laugh grin

BSA MAGA
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I made the transition to left-hand rifles a long time ago, and I have never looked back. To paraphrase a beer commercial(Warsteiner I think), "Life is too short to shoot wrong-sided rifles"
Left-hand guns are a bit harder to find, but are easier now than 10-20 years ago. I use a Tikka 595(7-08), Browning A-Bolt II(30-06), Savage 10(257 Roberts), and a Tikka T-3(223) all in left-hand. And that does not include the Browning T-Bolt, Kimber 82(22 LR and 22 Hornet) or the Anzchutz 22 LR. And I forgot the Stag Arms AR Left-hand in 5.56. I also use the Benelli M-2 left-hand(12 ga) a DeHaan 20 ga SxS, and a DeHaan SGr O/U custom(28 ga) all of which are left hand.

While I would like to get a Tikka T-3 Lite Stainless in 6.5x55, Beretta has refused to import any to the U.S. in left-hand. Which makes no sense to me since they would import the same gun in right hand, and still import the left-hand model to Canada. Maybe that is why I don't like Beretta, but I digress!

Ruger makes the Hawkeye in left-hand in several calibers other than the "standard" 30-06/270/7 Mag, and Browning is now making the X-bolt in left hand also. Left hand guns are available from Nosler and others, but the prices are more than I am willing to spend. But there are many options available for the left-hand shooter, and if all the left-hand shooters would shoot left-hand guns, then the market would react favorably and more would be available.

Lefties are by nature very adaptable, but as I get older(over 60 now), I just refuse to compromise any more. If the gun manufactures want my money, they had better make what I want. If not, I will find a custom shop that will, and the manufacturers can find some other way to make money, like cutting corners on manufacturing or using more plastic and pot-metal in their guns to increase profits. If the manufacturers want to ignore 10-15% of the existing market, they do so at their own peril. But I will stick to my left-hand rifles and shotguns. Now ask me what I really think!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Left handed right eye dominate, I can shoot both left hand and right hand but prefer to shoot left handed. I do shoot a right hand bow though. Funny thing is using a left hand bow just never felt right. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot, write and eat left handed. All the rest right handed. Started out in the '60's with a left hand 110 Savage and other than a RH 7-08 and a RH 338 RUM, all my rifles are either left handed or levers. Shotguns are a whole different matter. I had a older mentor introduce me to trap shooting and handed me a RH 1100. Been shooting them ever since. I've apparently learned to ignore the empty shell casing fly in front of my face.

An interesting caveat to the whole thing is that when my right handed daughter was old enough to hunt she picked a left hand 700 out of group and hasn't given it up yet. I offered to buy her a right handed one and she declined saying she preferred left handed rifles. Gotta love the kid. wink

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by joecool544
Left handed right eye dominate, I can shoot both left hand and right hand but prefer to shoot left handed. I do shoot a right hand bow though. Funny thing is using a left hand bow just never felt right. grin

Same for me! I have a couple left handed bolts, but most of my rifles are lever actions. Bows, guitars, golf clubs, and lots of other things right handed.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shoot left handed, but have never had a left handed rifle, Maybe someday.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by USAFA71

Lefties are by nature very adaptable, but as I get older(over 60 now), I just refuse to compromise any more. If the gun manufactures want my money, they had better make what I want. If not, I will find a custom shop that will, and the manufacturers can find some other way to make money, like cutting corners on manufacturing or using more plastic and pot-metal in their guns to increase profits. If the manufacturers want to ignore 10-15% of the existing market, they do so at their own peril. But I will stick to my left-hand rifles and shotguns. Now ask me what I really think!

Amen!!

Some folks find no problem in compromising and in supporting companies which hold lefties in zero regard. I do and I do unapologetically.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 22250rem, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,495
Posts18,509,118
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.