Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
pointer Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am contemplating building a rifle this summer and was wondering if there is any practical reason for a bolt gun over a single action given that each is equally accurate (will have a custom barrel either way)? I understand a follow up shot is quicker with a bolt, but is that the only advantage? I do like the idea that a factory Encore in 7-08 is slightly lighter and shorter than a factory M-7 in the same caliber yet has 4" more barrel. Thanks for any and all opinions and advice.

GB1

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Typically, a bolt gun will be a little more accurate. However, each gun is an entity unto itself. For a hunting rifle, it probably wouldn't matter. For the Nth degree in accuracy, the bolt usually wins.
<br>
<br>Blaine

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What level of accuracy are you going to be happy with. If smaller than 1/2inch groups is a must, it will be easier with a bolt gun. If only trying to get smaller than 3/4 inch groups, a single shot can easily do this. I have a stock ruger No. 3 in 223 that shoots sub 3/4 groups with almost any ammo all day long. I have also seen rugers that would not shoot 2 inch groups as they came from the factory. There are a few gunsmiths who specialize in ruger No 1 and 3s. They would be the ones to build a highly accurate single shot. My experience with the encore is that it is not as accurate as the rugers.
<br>Also, you might be suprised at how fast a single shot can be reloaded. It does not give up that much to other types. Of course it does take more practice for quick reloads.
<br>The greatest advantage to a single shot is overall length. You can have a 28 inch barrel for the same length as a bolt gun with a 22 to 24inch barrel.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
pointer Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the info/opinions. BTW, I would be happy with a 1"@100 gun. The gun would mainly be used for hunting and in most hunting situations I doubt I could do that good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several bolts and three single shots, one a browning M-78, one a Ruger #1, one a Ruger #3 action tied to a Shilen 222 barrel. I can't tell you from a practical sence which shoots better. Some guns are just different and for my level of skill and reloading ability, they are all about the same. The single shots are a bit of a pain to shoot over a bench because opening the action tends to hit the bench which requires re-setting the gun on the bags each time before shooting. I personally love the lines of a #3 action from Ruger better than the #1 Ruger but finding one and converting it to #1 style stocks costs a bit. Go for the aesthetics rather than which one shoots the best. Unless you are a precision shooter, you probably would never be able to tell the difference.

Rolly
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Pointer I would recommend a "quick read" book called "The Accurate Varmint Rifle". I forget the writers name at this time but believe it is published by Precision Shooting. I believe they also produce a similar book dedicated to single actions. Precision Shooting is a magazine dedicated to accuracy enthusiasts which started as a benchrest magazine and has expanded to include high power, long range hunting, and other disciplines. If accuracy is a concern, this is a good place to start.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Rolly
<br>Tell me about your No 3. Who did the work and were there any problems with the scope mounts. Did you have to have the extractor modified? Any other changes?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
R
R
i was thinking along the same lines of a single shot. where would the best place be to find a Ruger #1 action?

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Have you in America heard of the Russian firm of Baikel. They make single shot centerfires in .222, .223. 7.62x39 and .308. Handy little rifles and quite rugged.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It should be right behind the barrel!!grin I couldn't resist that.Seriously,I like no. ones and am always on the lookout for " donors".I've never found one with beat up wood that you could buy cheap.Folks tend to take care of them,they are too pretty I reckon.
<br>
<br>There is a 100 dollar spread in used cost from one part of the country to another.When I travel,I look for gun stores and check out the NO. Ones.THey are not popular in some places-like Eastern N.M.- so my partner has a standing offer to dealers there and gets their trades for 400 bucks or so.They are 475 to 500 here.Good luck on finding one.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,862
Posts18,517,846
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.