Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 54 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 53 54
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
.300 Wby Mag, Vanguard, 180 gr. Part. At 135 yds., first shot thru the lungs with extensive damage. Took off running, second shot in the spine, smashing around 6" and part of the back strap. Hind quarters dropped at spine shot. Still took some time for him to "give it up." Elk can be pretty tough; first shot was lethal and I'm sure he'd have gone down after a bit.

DF

[Linked Image]

DF that is a smokin' big bull.....congrats!Yes they can be sorta tough IMO,but I'm sure yours was dead on his feet.....thing I have noticed is that you can have the reaction you had, no matter what you shoot them with.

The 300 Weatherby is a great elk cartridge. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

[Linked Image]

OK..I guess that pic makes it official...YOU SUCK! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Handsome Dude, don't you think...?

DF

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
What works best for you (in terms of recoil, accuracy, penetration, etc.) is the best elk cartridge.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
djs: BIG 10/4 on what works for you/me.

DF-- Congratulations--AWESOME ! !

JWALL

VEGETARIAN........Indian Word For Poor Hunter

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.300 Wby Mag, Vanguard, 180 gr. Part. At 135 yds., first shot thru the lungs with extensive damage. Took off running, second shot in the spine, smashing around 6" and part of the back strap. Hind quarters dropped at spine shot. Still took some time for him to "give it up." Elk can be pretty tough; first shot was lethal and I'm sure he'd have gone down after a bit.

DF

[Linked Image]

K--so tell us the story bout the bull

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use either a 300 WSM or 338 Win mag

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
that is a truly beautiful bull, a great heavy old boy !!!
I have killed lots of elk but nothing of any size! Would like a 330 or so before I go !!!
After 50 years of hunting the beastie I believe one of the big 30's is the way to go, with a 200 gr. Nosler PT going out the front end. Like several others here I have killed them with 06, 7mm mag, 338/06, 7mm STW and 300 Win mag. Most with the Win mag.

R
rjf Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

DF

[Linked Image]

K--so tell us the story bout the bull

Dober

Yes, Do tell about this elk!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Looks like a 300H&H AI.......aka....300 Weatherby sans radius...... smile

There's really nothing new under the sun...

Hehe! grin I think you're close to being right Brad,as far as cartridges are concerned......if it fits within the confines of a bolt action rifle that can be carried easily by one guy and shot from the shoulder,it was pretty generally "all over" by 1965......... grin

Ain't been much new since then....just minor tuning.... cool

I'd say there really hasn't been anything truly remarkable since 1919 (think Charles Newton).

I suppose the 222 was "new" in the truest sense however.

At the end of the day all cartridges are a variation on the same theme... a brass cylinder. laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
In 2009 my hunting buddy and I went to Saskatchewan elk hunting. I used the outfitters rifle, not wanting to bring mine thru customs. This was in Eastern Saskatchewan a two hour drive East of Saskatoon. Here's a photo of around 1,200 pounds of really good eating, hanging in the skinning shed which was much taller than our Louisiana skinning sheds...

It was cold. See the guy doing the skinning in short sleeves. He's a hockey player and taxidermist. He skinned and gutted the elk in about 30 min. He completely caped him out about as fast. Horns and cape were brought home on the plane for a local taxidermist to do the mount.

DF

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Well my standard has always been about nothing new since about 1965 or so, but perhaps even 1922 could be argued, but not won. My PO Ackley reloading manual has won me a lot of arguments about "new". I even won one not long ago regarding "short magnums" the newest hottest sensation to hit the market, "not". One of the first shorties was in 1965 with the Remington 350 along with the short stubby barrel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Elkmen
Well my standard has always been about nothing new since about 1965 or so, but perhaps even 1922 could be argued, but not won. My PO Ackley reloading manual has won me a lot of arguments about "new". I even won one not long ago regarding "short magnums" the newest hottest sensation to hit the market, "not". One of the first shorties was in 1965 with the Remington 350 along with the short stubby barrel.

I discount the shorty belted cartridges... the parent was there all along since 1912. The 222 was actually something new case-wise in 1950 so that would be my line for anything truly new.

Here's some good reading on the genius of Chas Newton with time-lines...

http://opencarryflorida.org/NewtonArmsCompany.html

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mac-when did Ralph start making his version of the short maqs?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
So that I may win future discussions when and what was the first short magnum? I have drank several tall cold ones with that cartridge and date. I am thinking about 2.8 or so as being short. Newton didn't work with belted cases did he?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Mac-when did Ralph start making his version of the short maqs?

Dober

Ralph started with his short-mags in the late 50's/early 60's I believe Dober. I've talked with him about it at length and that's the date I've got stuck in my head anyway. Ralph did buy much of Roy Gradle's machinery out of his gun shop in S. California when he was getting out of the business in the 50's and Ralph's cats look a lot like the Gradle, including the Wby radius shoulder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thx Mac, seemed to me it was in the time line but couldn't recall for sure.

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Elkmen
So that I may win future discussions when and what was the first short magnum? I have drank several tall cold ones with that cartridge and date. I am thinking about 2.8 or so as being short. Newton didn't work with belted cases did he?

Newton was the original Beltless-Magnum guy in the 19-teens. Amazing guy.

I believe Roy Gradle originated the short mag sometime in the 1950's, blowing out the 348 Win case and machining-off the rim.

But I've been wrong before laugh

The WSM's are a "new" cartridge, but then again the basis for them has been around for over 100 years. Guess, to me, the little 222 was something truly "new" and unique and why I sort of stick with my 1950 date.

But it's all a matter of symantics I suppose, and I certainly wouldn't be dogmatic about any date.

Makes for interesting conversation though!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
[quote=Elkmen]So that I may win future discussions when and what was the first short magnum?

I believe Roy Gradle originated the short mag sometime in the 1950's, blowing out the 348 Win case and machining-off the rim.

I believe this is true. The Gradle Express cartridges were very similar to the present WSM's.

The 30 Newton, and 35 Newton were similar to, but not precisely the same as, the 375 Ruger case.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But Winchester perfected the short mag! whistle

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 29 of 54 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 53 54

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 62 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,804
Posts18,477,500
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.