Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
. . . . in 45 Colt. With the red tape of gun registry in Canada, it may take a few weeks to get it here, but the process has been started. laugh Happy.

Anyone got a favorite powder/bullet combo? I was thinking Titegroup or 231. Suggestions???

Thanks.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
details?

new vaq? old frame?

barrel length? finish? grips?

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
New Vaquero.

5.5" barrel.

Blued finish.

Black Ruger grips.

Entry level and slightly used, but got a decent price on it.

I am buying a bullet mold and dies in Winnipeg this coming weekend, as well as some primers and brass. And I am also considering a H&R Buffalo Classic Carbine in 45 Colt as well. I mean, a guy oughta be able to shoot the same ammo in his rifle as his pistol, right? grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot a pair of Colts and an Uberti 1873 replica all in 45 Colt. I have some 250 gr lead and some 200 gr lead cast by a local bullet maker. Once the 250 are gone I plan on sticking with the 200's. My powder of choice is IMR's Trail Boss. I am dropping 5.1 grains for the 250 grain bullets and 5.6 grains for the 200 grain bullets. Winchester Large Pistol Primers for all laods. Groups and point of impact in my Colts are very good and there is no discernable differentiation between guns when shot off hand. While the rifle really works well with the 200 grain bullet/load the 250's are certainly close enough for CAS shooting.
Good luck with your new toy!
Razz

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Thanks, Razz. That's exactly what I am looking for -- real world experience and numbers.

Brother Keith

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Razz has given you good guidance. Trail Boss is a fine powder, and easy to stay in safe zone.

I have used Titegroup @ 6.3 gr/200 gr. oregon Trail for good results also. This may be a little slow, and can be increased, but the accuracy and economy is there.

I'm putting 10.1/VV-N-330 behind the same 200 gr Oregon Trail lead bullets for my accuracy load in the .45 Colt levergun and am amazed at the incredible grouping.

I also like W-231, but never got around to trying it for the rifle because the Vihtavouri load was so accurate.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Razz
I shoot a pair of Colts and an Uberti 1873 replica all in 45 Colt. I have some 250 gr lead and some 200 gr lead cast by a local bullet maker. Once the 250 are gone I plan on sticking with the 200's. My powder of choice is IMR's Trail Boss. I am dropping 5.1 grains for the 250 grain bullets and 5.6 grains for the 200 grain bullets. Winchester Large Pistol Primers for all laods. Groups and point of impact in my Colts are very good and there is no discernable differentiation between guns when shot off hand. While the rifle really works well with the 200 grain bullet/load the 250's are certainly close enough for CAS shooting.
Good luck with your new toy!
Razz
I bought some Trailboss, several years ago it's been now. I must admit to never having broken the seal though. I've went to a time or two and couldn't find a lot of data. Of course by now, that may have been awhile back too.

Your loading of the lighter bullets is encouraging. So many want to go with extremely heavy bullets nowadays. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I think sometimes the lighter stuff has a place too.

C
C
This is my first post in a long while. Usually I am on cascity.com. I am one of the co-moderators of the board for Canadian Pards called CHINOOK COUNTRY. Come and visit, and welcome to the sport.

For data, it is advisable to start at the source, then you will know the limits when advice is offered. I have not used trail boss as I tend towards blackpowder but there is plenty of data available;

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Last edited by carlos16; 05/02/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use 8.5 grains of Unique under a 200 grain LRNFP or 7.8 under a 250 grain LRNFP for about 850fps out of my 4 5/8 barrel .45.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Thanks, Carlos. I have checked my loading manuals and the internet sites. Just looking to see what works for the shooting buddies here.

T,

Will have to give Unique a try.

Brother Keith

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Thanks, Carlos. I have checked my loading manuals and the internet sites. Just looking to see what works for the shooting buddies here.

T,

Will have to give Unique a try.
There are only two downsides to Unique that I'm aware of and one may not even be applicable here. One is that newer powders tend to give higher velocities at lower pressures. I haven't studied up enough on the 45 Colt to know if it makes much difference in it. The second is that Unique is dirty. I use it anyway due to its great versatility and the fact that it's one of the powders I started using. I've probably shot more of it in 45 Colt than anything else, though I've used H110, W296, Blue Dot, Bullseye, W231 and probably some others over the years.

If you don't mind the cleanup, there is no law against using Black Powder in your new pistola.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by carlos16
This is my first post in a long while. Usually I am on cascity.com. I am one of the co-moderators of the board for Canadian Pards called CHINOOK COUNTRY. Come and visit, and welcome to the sport.

For data, it is advisable to start at the source, then you will know the limits when advice is offered. I have not used trail boss as I tend towards blackpowder but there is plenty of data available;

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
It's been a few years since I bought the powder and I still tend to go with loads I get directly from a physical manual rather than a website, even if that website is the direct source. I expect the last 45's I loaded up were with Bullseye or W231 as I've been trying to get rid of some of those that I had on hand.

I've been a member of CAS City for awhile now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Congrats on your Vaquero.

I know you will like it.

Originally Posted by Border Doc
Razz has given you good guidance. Trail Boss is a fine powder, and easy to stay in safe zone.

I use Trail Boss in my blackhawk...

Very nice and safe

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
[Linked Image]

Here she is. Got all the goodies to reload for it including a 2 cavity mould and a couple hundred brass. Score 2000 primers for $14.99/K the other day, so I'm in the mood for loading some. wink

Brother Keith

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice looking pistol Sir, I am sure you will get many hours of enjoyment from it.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's the first one I've seen without case-colors.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by the_shootist
. . . . in 45 Colt. With the red tape of gun registry in Canada, it may take a few weeks to get it here, but the process has been started. laugh Happy.

Anyone got a favorite powder/bullet combo? I was thinking Titegroup or 231. Suggestions???

Thanks.

I have a pair of old frame Ruger Bisley Vaqueros, in .45 Colt.
A favorite (hunting) load is a 250 gr. JFP ahead of 23.0 gr. of WW296.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
I don't think the new model Vaquero will handle the pressures the old one does, but sounds like you're loaded for bear!

I set up my dies and powder measure, and sized and primed and flared 100 new brass last night. This morning, I cast 250 lead semi-wadcutters - 200 grain -- they average 208 grains as cast. Loaded up 20 with a light charge of Unique -- now all I need is the pistol. Registration process takes about 10-14 days, I'm told. Been a little over a week. Should see it in another 10 days. I'm ready! wink

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use 5.5 gr of Titegroup with a 250 or 255 gr cast lead bullet. (Mainly because I go through a lot of Titegroup in .45 acp and .38 SPL and buy it in the big bottles.) I'm shooting a Uberti and am not trying to do more than duplicate standard factory loads.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
You think like I do. If you go retro, why hotrod? wink

Brother Keith

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,088
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.