Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Looking to buy the best. Is the Sig sauer p250 or 250p qualify as one of the best? High cap mags for home defense.

Last edited by birddog65; 04/29/11.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best for what?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Glock

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very subjective,lot's of right answers.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Browning Hi-Power

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Ok, I'll clarify it a little. Its got to be double action on the first shot. Smooth trigger , high cap, front rail, under $600. Primary use is home defense.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm a big fan of Sigs. The SP 2022 is a nice 9mm that fits your bill. I'm not a rail guy; I love my 220 and 228. Thousands of rounds, never had a failure in either. If you can live without the rail, you can get a used 226 or 228 in your price range.

Murphy was an optimist.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sigs are nice. They are also pricey.....

Dbl action 6 bills and under I'd be looking at a CZ 75 or a used Sig 226/229 or Hi Power.

If you can do striker fired, Glocks set the standard.

Last edited by MadMooner; 04/30/11.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by birddog65
Looking to buy the best. Is the Sig sauer p250 or 250p qualify as one of the best? High cap mags for home defense.

Some don't like the Sig 250 for its DAO trigger pull and for others its not an issue.

The SP2022 has a great following, its used by the DEA and French Police if that means anything.

Best thing is try to find each model and possibly shoot each, if not at least handle each at a gunshop for fit and feel.

Here's a great place to buy a new Sig, these guys ship out fast: JetGuns

MtnHtr

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A S&W 5906 guards my night stand...

IC B3

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Jim the Plumber
Glock

+11111111

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Glock, or used Sig P229

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
In a 9mm I run a Sig P6 most of the time, but as it's a single stack most folks overlook it. Ergonomics are great, price was right.

Otherwise for home I use the Sig P220 in .45 acp......if I can't hit what I need with 9 flying ashtryas...well too bad for me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is only one 'best 9mm' pistol. Browning HP. smile

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As was stated earlier Handguns are completely a subjective relationship. Also, as was stated, there are a ton of correct answers, which basically come back to "This is what I like."

I'll give you some observations that I've noticed in my own personal hunt for a carry piece.

I chose an auto over a pistol because I personally like to have more ammo ready to bring to the fight, and faster reloads. Personal choice, as I have immense respect for my fellow carriers that chose revolvers. They have their reasons for that, and I'd argue that their reasons are valid.

Once I decided on an auto, it was time to explore the VAST varieties available. Exploring meant reading reviews, discussing with guys here at the 'fire about their personal experiences, and time at the range actually testing out various models.

Like you, I like the double stack option over the single stack for 9mm's. I like the feel, the way they shoot, and the extra bullets available.

I was stumped for quite a while as to my preference as with certain models I knew I just couldn't go wrong. There didn't seem to be a "BEST" but a choice had to be made and a "best for me" was the solution.

It came down to the Glock and the Sig for me. They each had their advantages and disadvantages. The Sig had to be a DAK model for me, as the trigger pull was lighter than their other models. The DAK offers a 7lb DA tigger pull for the first shot, then a much lighter pull for all the following shots. It also offered the ability for the shooter to pull the trigger in the event that the gun didn't fire. Instead of having to work the action to remove an unfired case, you could just try again to fire it. It's a handy feature to have.

All that said, I ended up choosing the Glock. The Glock was DAO for every pull of the trigger. Which for ME meant consistency. Same pressure for every pull. The Glock trigger is also a full 1 1/2 lbs lighter than the Sig DAK. It's not much more than the pressure of a gnats sneeze, but still, I liked it and I wanted it. The Glock doesn't have the same ability to simply pull the trigger if your pin doesn't set off your primer. At first glance I thought this to be a problem, but as I thought about it more, I ended up preferring that option. I'm a big stickler to gun safety and routine plays a big part in safety. If a round fails to fire, my routine has always been to clear that round, be it in a hand gun or a rifle. In auto pistols that doesn't take but a second. Many will argue a second could be the difference between life and death, and I would completely agree with them. But again, this was a personal choice. A jammed up gun, poor brass, bad primers, etc could all mean the difference between life and death, and the routine of clearing such obstacles seemed safer in my mind. Besides, I have a wife and 10yr old boy who are both new introductions to firearms, and this is part of safety training for them as well as routine for me.

I wrote a book here, I know, but I wanted to show how when it comes to firearms "what's good for the goose" isn't always what's good for the gander. If I chose the sig, I would have had an extremely good, reliable, defense piece for sure. There would have been no regrets. Same could be said for Hi Power, Colts, Springfields, Rugers, etc.... You simply cannot go wrong. My advice, explore the options available. It's time consuming, I know, but it really will help you pick what is best for yourself, AND it's a lot of fun doing the hunt.

Good luck, enjoy, and let us know what you end up with! We're like a bunch of women ogling over a newborn baby when it comes to new firearms. There is no such thing as a bad one, we just like ours better! grin

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I just received my new Ruger LC9 a few days ago but haven't ranged it yet. I'll follow up after I get a chance to field test it. With the finger extension,the grip is perfect for my hand. It's a nice concealable piece.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
none of them, get a .45

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GrosVentreGeorge
Browning Hi-Power
Yep. High Power. Easy to master the trigger compared to more modern designs. Although there is something to be said for the modern designs being "point and shoot" simple, no manual safety to worry about. But that manual thumb safety on the High Power means you can have that nice crisp trigger pull on every shot, which is crucial for fast accurate shooting.

It's a trade off. You have to consider whether it's something you're going to be seriously training with, or just sticking in a sock drawer till you need it. If the latter, perhaps one of the more modern designs, such as the S&W M&P, which is the best of the modern "striker fire" DAO action designs, IMO. Better than the Glock.

What you absolutely don't want to fool with is a "traditional double action automatic" 9mm. Gain nothing of practical use from that initial transition from double to single action, but lose a lot in confidence from it, since mastery of that transition takes constant practice to maintain once achieved. Why burden yourself with it when other better action types are out there?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Try them all but my suggestion if going 9mm is the Glock 19. big enough for a house gun but compact enough for CCW and the newer ones have the rail you want. You can have an armorer put in a 3.5 connector and a GREEN NYC spring and keep the 5.5 pound trigger pull but it makes it much smoother. Plus the NYC spring is less prone to breakage and eliminates the "staple gun" feel.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Ok, I'll clarify it a little. Its got to be double action on the first shot. Smooth trigger , high cap, front rail, under $600. Primary use is home defense.
OK, if it's got to be double action on the first shot then you want it to be double action on all the shots. You don't want that confidence killing transition between the first and second shot. In which case, you cannot do better than the S&W M&P. It's the best of the lot among the modern, high cap, "striker fire" action type, service auto pistol designs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 3,226 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,630
Posts18,533,199
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.