Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider
[quote=.280Rem]

It is beyond me why a kid, supposedly raised in good stable middle class conditions, WANTS to act like a thug

I couldn't agree more. I'll take it another step......ever seen so many wannabe white boy high school athletes walk around with their straight brimmed hats backwards, to the side, etc, baggy shorts, etc, who want to act like these thugs the see on TV? It blows my mind how pathetic wannabe athletes are.

JG - somehow you are channeling my exact thoughts. (My wife says that you may want to seek help.) smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by MadMooner
The guy hasn't gotten in trouble since '09? I wonder if the fact he's 6-7 and more than a little ungainly moving outside the pocket had more to do with the fall than a single public intox and reports of marijuana(+) use?

Then again......maybe everyone has visions of Ryan Leaf!

Nobody has questioned the guy's raw ability. Only his character, and his being inconsistent on the field.

If you (not necessarily you) think the NFL, MLB, NBA gives a flying schittt about character you can guess again. Butts in the seats is all they care about.

JG - see above.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by milespatton
Funny how they are talking about alleged character issues with Mallet and not talking about proven character issues with some of the others. The media has been buzzing for a while about things that have never been proven. miles

I think a great deal of it is perception...Mallet, as stated by the quoted NFL source, carries himself and talks like a thug.

War Damn Eagle!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The two biggest factors determining his future are the people surrounding him and how he choses a plan to become a leader of the team.

He's always been on top and has never really worked for anything due to his natural talent and abilities. Once he sees what it takes just to make the roster, he'll either grow up or go into business with Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russel.

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

They care about it with regard to how it affects the bottom line. They won't waste money on a guy that they perceive may never play due to his character issues. They don't really care directly about the character.

Pac Man Jones ring a bell?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goose2044
The two biggest factors determining his future are the people surrounding him and how he choses a plan to become a leader of the team.

He's always been on top and has never really worked for anything due to his natural talent and abilities. Once he sees what it takes just to make the roster, he'll either grow up or go into business with Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russel.

Pretty much the bottom line. The perception of the majority of NFL teams is the latter will likely occur. The combination of a guy that's never had to work to be "the guy", that acts like he's from the ghetto, but won't have to return to the ghetto if he fails...not a good risk.

War Damn Eagle!

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

They care about it with regard to how it affects the bottom line. They won't waste money on a guy that they perceive may never play due to his character issues. They don't really care directly about the character.

Pac Man Jones ring a bell?

You and I are essentially agreeing, but don't think for a minute that they don't research it eight ways to Sunday, and that it doesn't factor in. It's all about risks vs reward. Mallet is a prime example that it DOES matter to them.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's always been on top and has never really worked for anything due to his natural talent and abilities.

Surely you jest. You don't think Bobby Petreno made him work? When he got that public drunk or drinking in public or whatever it was, Petreno like to have run him to death. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You and I are essentially agreeing, but don't think for a minute that they don't research it eight ways to Sunday, and that it doesn't factor in. It's all about risks vs reward. Mallet is a prime example that it DOES matter to them.

Yet a team was falling all over itself to get Cam Newton - an admitted thief and cheater. It matters - to a point....

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Million Dollar Talent, Ten Cent Head

That pretty much describes 75-80 percent of ALL players in the NFL. Which is the reason I have probably watched parts of 2 or three NFL games in the past 5 years. sleep

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal

Yet a team was falling all over itself to get Cam Newton - an admitted thief and cheater. It matters - to a point....

Admitted he stole a laptop. Yes. Admitted cheater? No.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd draft an axe murderer, as long as he puts up numbers. grin

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okok
I'd draft an axe murderer, as long as he puts up numbers. grin

Most NFL teams would too, if they were satisfied the guy wasn't going to get in to any future trouble.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rumor is that Mallet admitted to trying Pot. Assuming that they asked all of the draftees that question, seems like he may be the only one that told the truth, yet he is perceived as having character issues. I am not trying to stick up for him but I am questioning why everyone is not held to the same standards. I do not like the thug issue with him or any of the others. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by milespatton
Rumor is that Mallet admitted to trying Pot. Assuming that they asked all of the draftees that question, seems like he may be the only one that told the truth, yet he is perceived as having character issues. I am not trying to stick up for him but I am questioning why everyone is not held to the same standards. I do not like the thug issue with him or any of the others. miles

As stated, they didn't believe it was "just pot". It's about perception. They (the NFL guys) got the perception, real or imagined, that he wasn't forthcoming. People can point to the instances where the NFL missed, or got it wrong, but they try, and image matters some, the bottom line matters more. They take calculated risks.

War Damn Eagle!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I'll trade you Cam Newton and a couple of draft picks for him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reddnek
I'll trade you Cam Newton and a couple of draft picks for him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For Mallet? You're nuts!

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

For Mallet? You're nuts!

Why don't you make yourself a note and revisit this in five to ten years to see if reddnek would have come out ahead. I have no idea whether Mallett is going to be a star or a bust, but I feel very safe in saying that Cam Newton will be no better than an average NFL QB and has a better than 50% chance of being a bust (I would put the odds of Cam Newton being a bust at somewhere around 75%).

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

For Mallet? You're nuts!

Why don't you make yourself a note and revisit this in five to ten years to see if reddnek would have come out ahead. I have no idea whether Mallett is going to be a star or a bust, but I feel very safe in saying that Cam Newton will be no better than an average NFL QB and has a better than 50% chance of being a bust (I would put the odds of Cam Newton being a bust at somewhere around 75%).

Id put the odds of most NFL QBs of being a bust at that or higher. It's a high failure rate position. #1 Draft picks naturally start out handicapped with poor team surrounding them, unless some better team lower in the draft trades everything to get that pick.

Both Newton, and Mallet have the physical tools. Whether either will be worth a schit in the NFL is anybody's guess, and largely dependent on surrounding circumstances, which from a football standpoint favors Mallet at this point based on the fact that nothing is really expected of him immediately, and he's going to have a good team around him and time to learn from a good staff with no pressure. Will he learn and take the coaching? That's the major question mark for him.

War Damn Eagle!

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree with you RR. I give Newton a 50/50 shot and Mallet a "who knows" shot. Nobody runs away from, or around the NFL boys for long without paying a price.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,194
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.