Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Posted on the Handguns forum without replies so I am posting here.

I am ready to order my Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 on Monday thanks to my wonderful children who sent dad birthday $$$.

Horsehide or cowhide?

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I like horse hide with shark skin trim. Horse hide is supposed to be tougher than cow hide. Horse hide also seems to wear better (less marks from being worn).

I own several horse hide holsters and like them all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a cowhide Versa-Max 2 for many years and have had no trouble at all with wear. It looks used, but not used up.

(Anyway, who cares how a concealment holster looks? Isn't that kind of beside the point?)

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Scott---Before you make a decision check this out:

http://www.holsters.org/shoulder-holster.htm

I've bought two shoulder holsters from this guy. They are very well made and very comfortable, you literally forget you are carrying.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know haw relevant this is, but horse hide makes better razor strops due to it's having more natural micro silicates in it. It is more abrasive. Effects on gun finish?

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
IC B2

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks. I like the looks and it would work with a snap shirt but much of my carry time is spent with a shirt tucked in and no jacket. I am thinking a IWB with the ability to tuck will be of the most use to me.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would go horsehide just because that means one less horse in this world.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Barak

(Anyway, who cares how a concealment holster looks? Isn't that kind of beside the point?)

Since This holster will spent most of it's life inside a tucked shirt it makes no deference at all. Fact is I king of laugh about the color options. I don't care about blemishes or any of that. If I do my job right it will never be seen.

I am really more concerned about long term wear and use. horsehide is supposed to resist moisture better and if it resides inside my waist band and I live on the Olympic Peninsula moisture might be a concern.

Perhaps I am nitpicking and cowhide will last me the rest of my life. That is why I asked for the wisdom here.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
I would go horsehide just because that means one less horse in this world.

Not a cowboy? grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A horse sweats,a cow don't. Bob

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
hell no. I look at a hay burner and the only thing that I think Is how many bottles of glue can they make outta a horse. I dunn even know if they make glue out of horses but I heard the story and it seemed like such a happy little story....

Do the world a favor and get 2 horsehide holsters.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
grin

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Scott I went through the same issues when I ordered my VM-2. I went horsehide on the holster and the Milt Sparks wonderfully built belt. The difference for me came down to wear during the summer months here. I work up a good lather all year but especially so when it gets oppressively hot. My cowhide holsters whether pocket or iwb really soak through with sweat but the horsehide is rather sweat repellant. Hope this helps.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the stated purpose, I really don't think it matters. None of my horsehide stuff seemed any better or worse than cowhide.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I like my holsters to stay looking good. You never know when you will change carry guns or just not like the holster. Its hard to sell a holster that looks like its been drug behind a truck even though its only six months old.

I have owned several (ordered all at the same time) VM-II's and don't like them as well as Kramers #3's. I have sold all but two and got my money back out of them.

Dink

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just looked at the Kramers but again no tuckable holsters. I have to be able to carry my full size 1911 with my shirt tucked in. Still thinking the Mils Sparks is my best option. I am offsetting the 30 week wait with a DeSantis Tuck-This 2 holster.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Sparks builds a great holster. I just can't get along with the cant/rake for some reason.

Some of the guys I work with are using the crossbreed supertuck and really like them.

Dink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used both for about 20 years and can say they both work but for long term wear the horsehide wins. It is kinder to the finish of the weapon as well. BTW when you don't need the tuckable the Kramer stuff is top rate. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Horse hide with shark trim is GREAT. My son has had several. Great looking and stout as all get out. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have had both and like the cowhide best, seemed to wear a bit better.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 222Sako, 58 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,499
Posts18,509,181
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.