Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
BigBore Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I read the comments on the best broadheads for Elk, and Muzzy seems to be the brand of choice. What about if the intended target is Whitetail deer. <P>I am just getting back into archery after a 15-year lay off. I prefer a fixed blade broadhead, rather than mechanical, and I am shooting 100-gr field points. I am looking for a broadhead that is strong, will shoot straight, have good penetration. I know thats asking a lot, but any advice would be appreciated. BB

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
BigBore, I shoot 100 gr NAP Thunderheads and have also shot the Muzzy's. I like both of the heads but the thunderheads were a shorter drive. They both perform well on whitetails and mule deer and come six to a pack. They are around $30 for the six I think. These two should have what you are looking for. Ryan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My rig is set up for 100 grain Muzzys. The last two that went in deer came out of same. They fly true for me. If I had won that STUPID Powerball lottery and was on my way to bowhunt with Spike, I would use the same rig because I trust it.<P>Have fun, Talus

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
for a fixed blaid it seems that Muzzy is the way to go, for most any game. Just get the right wight. I think that they make a 75 grain too, if you want lighter that a 100. <P>For deer a 100 grain muzzy is hared to beet

----------------

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety". -Ben Franklin

B
BigBore Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Tnanks guys! Looks like Muzzy is the way to go.

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
BigBore,<BR>I'd also suggest the Muzzys and Thunderheads.<P>However, I personally prefer a cut-on-contact broadhead. Satillite Titans, Steel Force and Magnus (all in 4 blade) work quite well on whitetails.<P>Good luck with your choice!<BR>Good hunting, bowhunter57

Guns cause crime, like silverware causes Rosie O'Donnell to be fat.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Ive had pretty good luck with Satelites but I sure wouldnt knock the Muzzy's since Ive never tried em.

<A HREF="http://TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com" TARGET=_blank>TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com</A>
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make sure you sight in your bow with the broudheads you intend to hunt with. Just because your field points weigh the same as your broudheads, doesn't mean they will shoot to the same point of impact. This is the most common mistake archers make today. They shoot field points all summer, screw in some broud heads the night before the hunt and go hunting and wonder why they miss or worse yet, wound animals. Hope this helps, Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
B
BigBore Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up going with the 100gr 3-blade Muzzy, and I am extremely happy with them. I did practice with them prior to hunting and found that they fly the same as my field points at 20 yards. <P>I got my first deer with a bow the second day of Pennsylvania's season. At 15 yards, I shot a nice doe broadside at 15 yards. The arrow went completly through, and stuck several inches in the dirt. She only ran 50 yards before collapsing. I was very impressed with the performance, and can't wait to try to fill the buck tag that I still have. <P>I have discovered that archery hunting is much more satasfing than rifle hunting, although I still plan to do both. Thanks again. BB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know that OOI broadheads aren't popular around here, but I have had great luck with 100 grain Vortex's. 2 P&Y sized muley bucks and a 700 pound elk. The elk and one buck were quartering hard away and took the broadhead just in front of the hip bone angling forward through the liver into a lung. DEVASTATING wound channel. (I know Flinch likes wound channel talk, so had to throw that it) Like nothing I've ever seen on a COI broadhead. Both buried to the fletchings (33" arrows too!). The other was a classic broadside that never slowed the arrow down. Back 15+ years ago I took several blacktails with satellite broadheads and they had a tendancy to lose blades while going through the deer. Never ended up in the meat, but it is a little disconcerting every bite of steak, hoping that broadhead hadn't stopped there. I've hunted a lot with Muzzy's too, but for the life of me, can't remember if I ever shot anything with one.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 35WhelenNut, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 32 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,863
Posts18,478,602
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.