Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Bsa, what bullet would you use for a primarily beanfield whitetail gun that will also go elk hunting, and caribou in 2013 after i get back from deployment? Im lookin to stay w/ a 165 grain bullet, but cant decide which one i want

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If your looking for a real good bullet for practice or hell even hunting for that matter, I'd look at the 180 gr. Hornady spbt in that 300. They're damn cheap for practice, pretty accurate, and hell on game grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I cant fault ya swampy for your reasoning w/o seein how it went down, but what non factory bullet would you suggest?

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by navyman20
I cant fault ya swampy for your reasoning w/o seein how it went down, but what non factory bullet would you suggest?

Cool that you were a Seabee. My dad was a Seabee.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Remington Core-Lokt 180, or Sierra GameKing 180 for deer size game.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The 165 hornady interlock spbt shoots pretty good in my 300:

[Linked Image]
This was 10 shots (first 5 then made a 2 click adjustment to the right with the last 5).

Got another one just like it from last saturday at a shoot I participated in laugh.
[Linked Image]
Can't go wrong with your choice of the accubond either, but if you like to shoot a lot like I do the Hornady is your huckelberry grin. Besides it's fun watching the expression on the guys face when they come up to you and say, "oh your using hunting bullets" blush

BSA MAGA
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Had some really bad luck with the Nosler BT. I'll never use them again.

Yeah, this buck didn't think much of the 120 grain Ballistic Tip either, from a .264 at 125 yards. They are no good.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree w/ ya but, but if i get 2 bullets w/ the same exact specs and shoot exactly the same for when i make my dope sheet for the gun, id go that route so im more or less, "practicing how i hunt"..and for the once a year i go after something bigger than deer, the AB's would work as good as anything else if i know where to put the bullet at...im kinda a KISS type of guy, and dont like that have to mess around w/ stuff once i get it how i want. But i do appreciate your input on other options

A 165-gn NBT at 300 WM speeds is gonna be vicious on meat. Personally, I'd use a heavier, tougher bullet... keeping in the Nosler family a 180-NBT and 180-NAB pairing make more sense to me.

I load the 200-gn Accubond in my 300 WM and believe it to be an excellent all-around choice- one of the best if not the best. Just IMHO.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
that you were a Seabee. My dad was a Seabee. [/quote]

Its a fun job, i cant complain, but it looks like the 165 interlocksshoot pretty good for ya..will have to give them a look

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I agree w/ ya but, but if i get 2 bullets w/ the same exact specs and shoot exactly the same for when i make my dope sheet for the gun, id go that route so im more or less, "practicing how i hunt"..and for the once a year i go after something bigger than deer, the AB's would work as good as anything else if i know where to put the bullet at...im kinda a KISS type of guy, and dont like that have to mess around w/ stuff once i get it how i want. But i do appreciate your input on other options

A 165-gn NBT at 300 WM speeds is gonna be vicious on meat. Personally, I'd use a heavier, tougher bullet... keeping in the Nosler family a 180-NBT and 180-NAB pairing make more sense to me.

I load the 200-gn Accubond in my 300 WM and believe it to be an excellent all-around choice- one of the best if not the best. Just IMHO.

I have looked at the 200 accubonds, but i think thats a lil heavier than id like to go

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
that you were a Seabee. My dad was a Seabee.

Its a fun job, i cant complain, but it looks like the 165 interlocksshoot pretty good for ya..will have to give them a look [/quote]

They're great for cheap practice. My 300 win mag loves the 200 gr accubond like Jeff was mentioning and also the 180 partition. I like the old saying "if ever in doubt use a partition" grin. Just can't go wrong with the good ol partition. I've never used the accubond on game before, but hear they are fabulous. The partition on the other hand I know is a game getter grin, and surprisingly accurate in most of my rifles.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like the 180 gr. Ballistic Tip. Shoots great in my .300 Win Mag and has a good B.C. for long range. Accubond 180's shoot almost as tight. I use the B.T.'s on deer and if I'm going after tougher game, the Accubond.

DF

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/03/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GF1
[quote=Swampman700]Had some really bad luck with the Nosler BT. I'll never use them again.

Translation: I ran out of bullets...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by GF1
[quote=Swampman700]Had some really bad luck with the Nosler BT. I'll never use them again.

Translation: I ran out of bullets...

Bullet selection for butt shooting very small deer from a golf cart could get tedious and technical, no doubt about it...

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
looks like the nbt's are shootin great for you dirtfarmer!! im still leaning towards the 165s tho...i dont see the 165 grain accubond not bein a stellar performer on elk or caribou, and ill get a lil flatter shooting..have you by chance tried the 165 bt's out of your 300 wm?

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Writing on above target:

11-2-08, Clear day, no wind.

5 shots into 3/4", 4 into 3/8".

180 gr. Ballistic Tips, 74.6 gr. RL-22, GM 215M primer.

Once fired, neck sized W/W cases using Lee Collet sizer.

Additional info not on target:

Bullets seated with Wilson seater/arbor press.

Runout measured and corrected to .001.

Powder charges individually weighed.

DF

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
thanks for the info! i may break down and just get 180s, but for some reason i want to give the 165s a run

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
180's in the 300 WM are like peanut butter and jelly.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I recently started playing with the Barnes 175gr LRX in my .300 WSM. Pretty sleek bullet. Here's once next to a 180gr SST for comparaison.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
looks like the nbt's are shootin great for you dirtfarmer!! im still leaning towards the 165s tho...i dont see the 165 grain accubond not bein a stellar performer on elk or caribou, and ill get a lil flatter shooting..have you by chance tried the 165 bt's out of your 300 wm?

I use the heavier 180's because I like B.T.'s, but realize they can be pretty explosive. By using heavier bullets at slower speed, my reasoning is I can justify using them. I'm pushing them at 3,050 fps or so. I'm think that lighter bullets would be moving too fast and may blow up on deer sized game. B.T.'s are some of the most accurate hunting bullets, IMHO. I also like their high B.C. for long range shooting, other than VLD's, probably the highest in their class at around .507. And, at extended range, they still have great expansion. Accubonds are tougher, just not quite as accurate in my experience. They have the same shape, same B.C. and POI, making them a good substitute when needed.

A few years back, I was in a deer stand and a bunch of hogs entered a shooting lane. With this load, I shot a 250# sow in the head at 150 yds. and before they could all move away, shot an 80# pig in the head at 175 yds. I was on my cell phone with my wife, planning how we were going to process all this pork, when several pigs returned to the scene. I think they were her litter, even though they were all 80#'s or so. I was able to shoot two more in the head, the last at 200 yds. I had 4 head shot hogs all lined up. These 180 gr. Ballistic Tips, tore those hogs up really bad. The most damage was on the entrance side, looking like something a Claymore would have done. Hogs were DRT, no doubt, but I was shocked at the damage. My 6.5-284 with 140 gr. SST's at 2,950 will shoot through a hog's head, no explosive entrance wound, just a nice entrance and nice exit. I would use SST's or similar in this gun, except B.T.'s are the most accurate I've tried. I use 150 gr. B.T.'s in my .308, but at 2,800 fps. They're also the most accurate in that gun.

Bottom line and in my experience, Ballistic Tips are some of the most accurate hunting bullets available, just a bit too fragile and explosive if one doesn't watch the speed. And, even then, they can be pretty volatile.

DF

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,873
Posts18,478,789
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.