Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Never seen one this color... don't normally shoot them but he was tearing up a prized pasture:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats pretty nifty there.

You going to have it mounted?

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is quite a critter. Cool!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
evil [bleep].....tend to leave them alone unless someone wants them out of their cow pasture......or the mean SOB's tree me in the back of my truck.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Somebody on taxidermy.net might be interested in the pelt if you are not...

depending on what you shot him with, that is... smile

nice looking critter

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Never seen one this color... don't normally shoot them but he was tearing up a prized pasture:

[Linked Image]

It looks like he didnt give a chit grin

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Honey Badger life cycle

http://youtu.be/4r7wHMg5Yjg

Honey Badger don't give a schit.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Now you're going to be dealing with out of control cobra populations.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad, what did you get him with?

That would be a cool mount!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That thing looks PRIME. If he's still in good shape I'd sell him on taxidermy.net -- Oughta bring $75 or so.

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I love those little [bleep]. They aren't scared of anything. Got nothing against popping one when he needs it however.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
toltecgriz;
I hope this finds you acceptably well this evening.

That is indeed a lovely colored hide on Brad's badger and I don't recall ever seeing one quite that nice before.

Though I believe I've told this one before, one badger encounter that I recall from Saskatchewan was the time I was heading down a rural dirt road with a 935 Versatile tractor with 60' of deep tillage cultivator plus an anhydrous ammonia tank in tow.

The 935 was a fair to middling large articulated 4WD tractor with 8 tires on it that were about 6' high and a couple feet wide. To say I took up the entire country road isn't an exaggeration.

So presently this badger scuttled up onto the road ahead of me and began to travel down it. As I approached in the tractor - and I had to slow down so I didn't run over it - it whirled around and snarling, took a couple quick steps towards the now stopped tractor.

As I sat there marveling at the extreme intestinal fortitude the tough little fellow possessed, he got bored bullying the tractor and I and wandered off back the way he was heading laugh

Come to think of it, the only animal charge I've faced thus far was from a badger that I'd hit badly with a .22. frown

I hope you have a good rest of the week toltec.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dwayne, see my reference to treeing me in the back of a truck......lil bastards dont take kindly to you getting between them and their hole and tend to take it personal like....they can absorb alot of lead if you dont hit them right and you just wind up pissing them off more.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
rattler;
I hope you and yours are doing well in our "late spring" conditions rattler.

As to being treed in a truck, I can see that happening without any provocation from one of the little beasties.

My personal theory is that God made them with their shorts a bit too small - thus the seemingly eternally cheery disposition. laugh

I'd hit this one with a Stinger - in the head I'd thought, but of course you know the pitfalls of "thought".... wink

On the plus side I learned just how fast I could run a bolt gun when I need to that frosty Saskatchewan winter morning, though if I was the admitting kind, I'd admit it wasn't all that very far from my left felt pac boot when I hit him the 2nd time.

All the best to you and yours rattler, lets hope it warms up before fall gets here, no?

Regards,
Dwayne

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
things are doing ok here but i dont farm like Sam so what works for me doesnt necessarily work for him.....im just waiting for the river to slow down enough to give fishing a serious start, likely by next weekend or a lil after, Sam has more worries than i do with our spring weather.....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
rattler;
While I realize you don't farm, my admittedly foggy memories of my Saskatchewan youth seem to recall one does get tired of the snow after seeing it for 7 consecutive months. grin

We should get out fishing some weekend pretty soon too, but it's been a little chilly and windy most days to sit on the water in our little rowboat. frown

"They" keep on predicting it's going to warm up, but more and more I believe that "they" look out the window just the same as the rest of us have to do. smirk

Have a good week rattler and good luck with your spring fishing too.

Dwayne

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ill fish in the rain, dont bug me grin we have had some days of sun, yesterday and today were sunny and in the 60's......low 60's but 60's just the same...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Last week I fixed a bunch of snow breaks in some barb wire fence. Walked up to a bad spot and here was a fresh badger hole about 6 feet away.

Circled and kept an eye out of that bastard....grin

Plan was to whack him with the fence stretcher and take off runnin'.

Last edited by SamOlson; 05/03/11.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Sammer, 10/22. One shot and he was down. Must have clipped the spine as they're tougher than that. Dropped another that was the normal grey color.

Spent a marvelous afternoon eliminating gophers to boot...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Brad;
I meant to send out a thank you for posting the photo of that very pretty example of a prairie badger. As I mentioned, I don't believe I've ever seen one that color before.

There are a myriad of things that I miss from the flat lands, not the least being the first spring gopher shoot of the year. It's good to hear some folks are still keeping some of the grand traditions alive. wink

Thanks again and I hope you and yours have a good and safe week Brad.

Regards,
Dwayne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 54 invisible), 2,882 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,729
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.