Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
NAS Whidbey was home to several A-3D squadrons when they were heavy bomber squadrons (and the Navy's first dedicated nuke bomber) then later when they migrated to the electronic warfare community and became VAQ squadrons that then migrated to the EA-6B's I flew (which are now migrating to F/A-18G's so I'm officially a dinosaur).

They been trying for several years to get an A-3 on a stick and one of the last flyable ones arrived last week to much fanfare.

Here's some really great footage in the cockpit on the way up. Note the familiar snow shrouded Mt St Helens and that beautiful EA-6B in the hold-short on landing. grin

The Whale took a lot of flack for it's lack of ejection seats (I had one of my flight school classmates die in one in a midair) and for being old but it served the Navy for a lot of years. With it's big gas load and two J-57's it could cruise at mach .9 a long ways.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cool aircraft.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
VAW-13 Det-66 1968.. I was a 20yr old kid and worked on their engines and tanker package. I believe the USAF designated them a B-66. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember in the 80's when Whidby had A-6's & 7's they would do bombing, at such places as Yakima Firing Center.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now there's a trip down memory lane.

Steve

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nice videos, Pugs. So many cool old planes. Love to see them.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Oh yeah,or the "All Three Dead"!

We had one at PMTC Pt. Mugu that was a chase plane for my Tomahawk launches.

I remember that the Navy used one for the CNOs private aircraft: faster than any other comparable stuff out there...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I went through Navy SERE training at Whidbey in 1969. Tough stuff it was!

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_AL
I went through Navy SERE training at Whidbey in 1969. Tough stuff it was!

Didn't know they even ran it up there back then. They've gotten it down to just Maine and Warner Springs now and with the closing of NAS Brunswick in Maine I wonder if they still do it up there. I went through SERE at Warner in 89

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That first video is cool with Mt Erie in the background.

My Grandmother had a farm on Cresent Harbor Road right on the flight path to the South. Her windows would rattle every 15 minutes. I watched A-6 fly over everyday and would get to watch the Blue Angels practice before the air show.

One of my cousins was a BN in the 80's and he would take me into the A-6 simulator on the base. Lots of good memories.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wow! Reading this thread gave me some flashback memories of me as a kid back in 1987 to 1990. My father was stationed at NAS Whidbey. We lived in Crescent Harbor and I went to Crescent Harbor elementary, Oak Harbor middle and junior high. I loved watching the planes fly over head. The A-6's and EA-6b's would fly overhead with their distinct tones unlike the other jets I could not disinguish. I miss living up there. Great memories.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
WinModel70 - Did you live in Enlisted men housing by the Crescent Harbor School? If so just before you went up the the hill to town, my Grandmother house was the ranch on the right with the big White Barn behind it. It was a great place to visit and spend my summers.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
WinModel70 - Did you live in Enlisted men housing by the Crescent Harbor School? If so just before you went up the the hill to town, my Grandmother house was the ranch on the right with the big White Barn behind it. It was a great place to visit and spend my summers.

ddj

If I recall my geography right I used to pheasant and duck hunt across from there in the field and the marsh between Crescent Harbor Road and Torpedo road that ran in the back gate of the seaplane base. I think I remember that house and barn too! Green roof maybe?

I miss Whidbey all the time.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very neat!

Retired cat herder.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Pugs

ddj

If I recall my geography right I used to pheasant and duck hunt across from there in the field and the marsh between Crescent Harbor Road and Torpedo road that ran in the back gate of the seaplane base. I think I remember that house and barn too! Green roof maybe?

Thats the farm. Her house was right across the road from the parking lot for the public hunting. She passed away last year at 100 years old. Lived in that house into her 90's. Sorry to sidetrack the post.

I also miss Grandma and Whidbey but am planning a trip back to visit.

ddj

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Beautiful up there when the sun shines....Love Deception Pass..

I remember the Air Force version as a kid, the B 66...

That is the A/C they had at Alconbury when the old man was transferred there in 63... in 64 and 65, the Unit ( 10 TRW) converted to RF4Cs...

the RB66s came back stateside and were converted to EB66s and were sent to Vietnam..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

ddj

Yes, I remember. There was a water treatment plant close to the beach off of Pioneer Way where I went duck hunting and there were all kinds of pheasants across the street on Crescent Harbor Rd from where your grandmother lived. I remember the area vividly. We lived on Beech Ln. We used to hunt deer on some old logging roads off of Taylor Rd back in the day. I miss fishing on the long pier close to the BX. We would catch sand sharks, kings, and coho's. Ahh, the memories. I wish I could relive them again.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I caught a bunch of Blackmouths of the Seaplane pier before they closed it to the public and put the gate on Torpedo Road. I wish I could go back also.

It's nice to know a couple of us walked the same places. Gives a bit of a connection.

ddj

Last edited by trouthunterdj; 05/04/11.

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I caught a bunch of Blackmouths of the Seaplane pier before they closed it to the public and put the gate on Torpedo Road. I wish I could go back also.

It's nice to know a couple of us walked the same places. Gives a bit of a connection.

ddj

In 90 they took the guards off the back seaplane base gate and it was an open base again but the pier was fenced off. I owned a SanJuan 24' sailboat with another NFO and we kept it over ther and you could still crab off the small piers and we never failed to acquire a cooler of Dungeness.

The other good fishing on the seaplane base was over by the icehouse on the beach and a rising tide and casting small streamer or Mepps for SeaRun Cuthroats. Almost always caught some good fish cruising that pebble beach if the tide was right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and that beautiful EA-6B in the hold-short on landing. grin

Now how did I know you were going to bring that up?
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,575
Posts18,510,821
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.