Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't you know cameras, along with conicals, weren't invented yet?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Don't you know cameras, along with conicals, weren't invented yet?

naa he takes photos with a Ni�pce camera
so what is that camera you ask ?
Well Nic�phore Ni�pce is the Thomas Edison of photography .
Thus the first actual photograph �as we think of them today � was taken in 1817 .
Problem was he didn�t have good film and the photos disappeared not long after they were taken . But he shortly got that figured out and by 1827 he was getting permanent photos .
If one would like , they could go back even farther to the pin hole cameras of the 16th century .

So when did the eastern elk become extinct ?
[Linked Image]

Seems those dates for all but the very eastern locations would put them well after Niepce�s cameras.

DIdn't do well in History? When exactly were Conicals invented?

. Well lets see ,,,,Claude-�tienne Mini� designed his minie ball in 1849
Then you have Henri-Gustave Delvigne who invented a bullet in 1826. But in reality that was reall still a ball
But Greener Himself designed a flat based ball in 1836 .

The above though is old knowledge . Today we now know that at least in some cases , French sharpshooters were using elongated projectiles and it would appear also some colonial sharpshooters since they were found during a recent dig at the battle of Monmouth

Cylindrical shot were also being fired at the Highlanders in the orchard. A Continental sniper
altered round musket balls by hammering them into cylinders or �Sluggs�. This is equivalent to modern,
illegal �dum-dum� bullets. This shot would tumble after firing and rip through human targets causing
massive, irreparable injury.They were all hammered down to a diameter of less than 0.60� in diameter suggesting that they
may have been altered to fit a rifle. Could it simply be that a rifleman ran out of ammunition and took
larger musket balls and made them fit his weapon? We thought we had something very unique.
[Linked Image]

However, the use of cylindrical shot is not unique to Monmouth and appears to have a long history. Five
specimens were excavated from the pirate ship Whydah which sank off Cape Cod in 1717.
The shot were found in the same leather pouch with 23 round musket balls. An analysis of the
calculated diameters of the cylindrical shot, using the Sivilich Formula, shows they were all made from
0.63� diameter musket balls. This strongly suggests that they were for the same smooth bore musket as
the round shot. Therefore, it is concluded that a Continental sniper was firing the sluggs from a musket atMonmouth

[Linked Image]

So now did conical projectiles exist prior to the extinction of the eastern sub species of elk by 1860 ?

Last edited by captchee; 04/18/11.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Rifle-Musket and the Mini� Ball
by Allan W. Howey

In 1836, a London gunsmith named William Greener found a way to improve Norton's design for expansion of the bullet base. He inserted into the hollow area a wooden plug that would push forward when the gun was fired and force the bullet's base outward. The result was that the bullet fit more uniformly inside the barrel, producing more reliable and accurate fire.

Norton's bullet with Greener's refinement eventually came before the British army for approval for use in the field, but the army's old-school officers rejected it. It was an overly conservative decision that squandered the opportunity to develop this innovative design into a truly remarkable weapon.

Several years after Norton had begun developing his hollow-base bullet, French weapons experts began working on a similar design. Eventually, three French army officers would share the credit for what would become the mini� bullet: Captain Henri-Gustave Delvigne, Colonel Louis-Etienne de Thouvenin, and Captain Claude-Etienne Mini�.

Delvigne led the way when he designed a muzzleloading rifle to fire a new type of bullet. In 1826, Delvigne built a unique rifle barrel with an independent gunpowder chamber at its breech. This chamber was separated from the rest of the barrel by a strong lip, beyond which the powder could pass, but not the bullet. In the earliest models, after the chamber was filled with gunpowder, Delvigne rammed a standard soft, round lead ball down the barrel and pounded it against the lip with the ramrod until it flattened just enough to grip the rifling grooves. He soon discovered, however, that the pounding disfigured the ball and greatly reduced its accuracy, so he designed an elongated, cylindrical bullet with a flat base that would expand more evenly under the ramrod blows. In 1840, Delvigne even received a patent for an explosive bullet of this general design. (Imagine pounding that down a rifle barrel!) In time, Delvigne's design proved unsuitable for general military use; the powder chamber quickly became clogged, and the bullet still ended up too deformed for accurate flight.

In 1828, Thouvenin modified and improved upon Delvigne's gun design. He replaced the lip and powder chamber inside the barrel with a hard metal post that screwed into the gun's breech. After loading, the flat base of the elongated, cylindrical lead bullet rested upon the post in a position to be easily and uniformly forced into the rifling grooves when compressed by the ramrod. The Thouvenin design was a moderate improvement over Delvigne's, and the French army selected it for trials in 1846. The gun and bullet combination was still not practical for widespread military use; the rifle breech was very difficult to clean, and the metal post was prone to breaking.

Delvigne's developments inspired Mini�, who had served with the French Chasseurs in several African campaigns, to do further work toward making an efficient, effective bullet. In 1849, he came up with one that more closely resembled Norton's than Delvigne's. Like Norton's bullet, Mini�'s had a hollow cylindrical base and a rounded conical nose. Mini� also incorporated a plug in the bullet's hollow base to assist expansion, just as Greener had done to Norton's design. Instead of a wooden plug, however, Mini� used an iron cup, which in effect served the same purpose as Thouvenin's metal post. The explosion of the gunpowder would drive the iron cup forward and expand the bullet's base to fit the rifling grooves snugly.

By this point in the story, it should not be surprising to learn that the French army never adopted the new bullet. It took the British army to use it in their new 1851 Enfield rifles, paying Mini� 20,000 pounds for his patent. The army also had to pay Greener 1,000 pounds, after he won a patent infringement lawsuit over the bullet's plug design. The bullet as it would be used by the soldiers in blue and gray was now virtually complete. It had also acquired the name that stuck among English-speaking troops�minnie ball, even though the captain's French surname was properly pronounced min-YAY and his innovation was not a ball but a cone-shaped bullet.

In the early 1850s, James H. Burton, a master armorer at the U.S. arsenal at Harpers Ferry, Virginia, gave the mini� bullet the form it would take into the Civil War. By lengthening the bullet slightly and thinning the walls of its hollow base, Burton was able to dispense with the iron plug. The base of the improved bullet expanded just as well as Mini�'s but was much easier and cheaper to mass-produce. By the mid-1850s, the fully evolved mini� bullet made it possible to build an infantry weapon as easy to load as the old smoothbore musket but with the accuracy and range of a rifle. The term rifle-musket reflected the weapon's lethal combination of attributes.

U.S. Secretary of War Jefferson Davis, future president of the Confederacy, adopted the rifle-musket and mini� bullet for the U.S. Army in 1855. An improved version of the rifle-musket�the 1861 model built by the federal armory in Springfield, Massachusetts�became the principal infantry weapon of Northern soldiers in the Civil War.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
so since the last knowneastern elk recourded was killed in Pennsylvania on September 1, 1877 .
and the sub species its was not declared as extinct by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service in 1880 you would once again be blowing info out your backside

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing about hunting......laffin'

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
you did not say hunting , you said and i quote

Elk were wiped out in the east before conicals were invented. Wonder how that happened?

so as to part 1 , your are wrong . it did not happen for some 50 years after the development and patent of what is commonly accepted as the conical we know it today .

as to part two , can you say market hunting by those who actually did kill hundreds of elk in their lifetime
was the RB used for that hunting . you bet it was . but they also didn�t give a rats ass how many they wounded either . much the same ethics as was used years later on the buffalo
but even then i would point out that by the later 1/2 of the 19th century , muzzleloaders were NOT the only guns around
so prove that the decline of the eastern elk was do to the use of only the PRB by market hunters whistle

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by captchee
so... once again be blowing info out your backside

I am shocked.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by smokepole

I am shocked.

As am I grin

Captchee, you are arguing with someone who will not admit they are wrong

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As a wise man once said "he's making another pass, I can hear the trolling motor......"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by smokepole

I am shocked.

As am I grin

Captchee, you are arguing with someone who will not admit they are wrong

Naaa not arguing at all Oldelkhunter just make a point for others so at least give some base of research in the bla bla thread .

There is no real need to argue . Things are what they are .
You ask when the conical were invented .
I took that as an honest question and hopefully gave you a reasonable answer .
Swampman said they did not exists when the eastern elk become extinct .
I basically gave information concerning an accepted timeline for when that happened .

Thus people can draw their own conclusions based on that information OR hopefully fined it interesting enough to take it upon themselves to research more on the subject .

Thus when such a subject or question comes up again some time . They will then have the knowledge to state an opinion with something more then just bla bla bla .
See to me , these forums are about learning from others . Not arguing .

As a wise man once said "he's making another pass, I can hear the trolling motor......"

yep the smell of 2 stroke motor oil is defiantly in the air concerning this thread wink

Last edited by captchee; 04/19/11.

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wonder if ol' Swamplicker has a bullseye tattooed on his forehead? 'Twould be appropriate.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/19/11.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd admit I was wrong if I ever was.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Tundragriz, that is a great bull. Especially for a muzzleloader.
I found some (20)405 gr powerbelt hollow points testerday 30 miles from home. Maybe they will be accurate?

Jimbob
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sorry, but isn't the pt gold a saboted bullet. blackhorn powder guy i know shoots the hornady fpb with 90=120 blackhorn or the Thor bullet by barnes. This is serious as i once hilled a huge 5x5 herd bull that had a 54 cal hollow base bullet stuck in a rib by the heart(perfect ml shot from what i could tell). i guess it was the year before as it was sealed by scar tissue internally but still had a little pus draining externally. it also had a big old style broadhead stuck in the side of the lumbar spine at the tenderloin. he was breeding a nice herd when i hit him with a 270 wby with a bearclaw. fun was over. rc

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by gunner500
460 gn. no excuse bullet w/90 gns. FFF black set off w/ a musket cap.

Gunner
or fffg

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
no way would i shoot a bull with a round ball in my experience. i've had some difficulty retrieving chest shot big deer and antelope there. rc

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by saddlesore
My TC Hawkin is about a 78 vintage.I have always used the Maxi Ball.I think it is in the 385 gr weight class. Just can't remember at present. Several elk have fllen to it.
The photo posted above,doesn't mean much as you can't use a scope in CO and typically the Hawkins don't digest Power Belts and those type of bullets well.

My load is 90 gr of 777 and a TC Maxiball
i have done well with this same treatment, plus one book muley. his body size reminded me of a medium size cow elk. that is good to 150 yds in my opinion.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by txhunter58
No excuses 460 would be the beast of those mentioned. That said the 370 maxiball or 385 great plains have good track records on elk.

deg967: Great group, but isn't the bullet your using a sabot? Sabots and scopes are not allowed in Colorado. If that group was shot with an open sight, I not playing war with you!

Have been tempted to try Thors in a traditional, but they can be a tight fit and not sure what I would do if I got one stuck down in the barrel without a removable breechplug. I love them in my inlines.
10-4

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Ditto what Smokepole said.I have never tried theheavy weights in my Hawkin,but it sure didn't like the 295's
my hawken didnt like the maxi-hunters, but loved those 370 tc maxiballs.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,437
Posts18,489,382
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.