Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
can't seem to find any true big bores in stainless steel/synthetic. They are all blued and wood. Only one I can find is the 416 ruger. Just wondering if there are any alternatives at a reasonable price (under $2000) By true big bore i mean anything larger then 375 H&H. I deally a .458 lott in stainless would be nice.. i mean barrel and action stainless. Even if the stock is wood that doesn't matter to me.

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Polska - at one time Remington had a stainless steel @ kevlar stocked M700 big bore in .416 Rem Mag and (as I re-call) .458WM from the Custom shop - don't know if they still do. Also, they did have the M798 Zastava mausers in matte stainless steel and laminated stocks with clean barrels. Alas, no longer. Regards, Homesteader

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marlin Guide gun .45-70 in Stainless and be done with it...

not that you are going to be needing even that anytime soon in summer school.

No chain maille today?

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
ss M70 and rebarrel?

The way life should be.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
E R Shaw will build one of thier MarkVII rifles in several big bore calibers (416 rem & ruger, 458 win & lott) in stainless/synthetic for under a grand. They quoted me an 8 month wait time though.

Rem XRC II comes in 375 H&H or RUM for well under a grand.

Also, there are still a few stainless/laminate Number 1's on the market in 375 H&H, 416 Ruger, and 458 Lott.

There are also a fair number of New Haven 70 Classic Stainless models in 375 H&H on the market in the $1000 range. I wonder if that rifle will make a comeback anytime soon at the SC plant???

I think browning still makes a stainless 375 too.

So there are a fair number of options in .375 cal, but Ruger did somthing very special indroducing a stainless steel .40+ caliber rifle. I hope they are wildy successful with it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ER Shaw is building them. I just checked on getting a 375 ruger stainless with walnut built and it was quoted under $800. Their guns are really nice too. I was quoted a year to year and a half wait time though. Thats the way to go in my opinion.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gunchamp
ER Shaw is building them. I just checked on getting a 375 ruger stainless with walnut built and it was quoted under $800. Their guns are really nice too. I was quoted a year to year and a half wait time though. Thats the way to go in my opinion.

I just checked out his web site. What action is he using and does he do left handed guns?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you should be able to find a Win M70 SS Synthetic in your price range for sure...just keep watching for them in the classifieds...usually from about $1,000-1,200 range

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Not that hard to find a Classic Stainless in .375 H&H, but the initial poster stated the following;

"By true big bore i mean anything larger then 375 H&H. I deally a .458 lott in stainless would be nice.."

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you can check out the custom shop of Winchester and Ruger! Also take a good look at CZ rifles too. I myself would go the model 70 Winchester route and always have in past decades.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

IC B3

Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Homesteader
Polska - at one time Remington had a stainless steel @ kevlar stocked M700 big bore in .416 Rem Mag and (as I re-call) .458WM from the Custom shop - don't know if they still do. Also, they did have the M798 Zastava mausers in matte stainless steel and laminated stocks with clean barrels. Alas, no longer. Regards, Homesteader

Yea I know. it was the remington 700 SPS Safari or something like that. It was a nice one. I should look around for it maybe on gunbroker or someone is selling one somewhere. I checked their custom shop and they only go up to .338 or .375's now, nothing bigger.

Thanks Homesteader.

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bluefish
ss M70 and rebarrel?

I don't know how to re-barrel. Or what that entails

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by banjomule
E R Shaw will build one of thier MarkVII rifles in several big bore calibers (416 rem & ruger, 458 win & lott) in stainless/synthetic for under a grand. They quoted me an 8 month wait time though.

Rem XRC II comes in 375 H&H or RUM for well under a grand.

Also, there are still a few stainless/laminate Number 1's on the market in 375 H&H, 416 Ruger, and 458 Lott.

There are also a fair number of New Haven 70 Classic Stainless models in 375 H&H on the market in the $1000 range. I wonder if that rifle will make a comeback anytime soon at the SC plant???

I think browning still makes a stainless 375 too.

So there are a fair number of options in .375 cal, but Ruger did somthing very special indroducing a stainless steel .40+ caliber rifle. I hope they are wildy successful with it.

Awesome dude. I will check into it. I mean i'm leaning heavily toward the ruger. Ruger is an awesome company, I also hope they are successful with it.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Homsteader, I found out the name of the rifle it's called the remington 700 safari ks ss in .458 win mag. Can't find it anywhere

I went to Shaw guns and asking them to quote me on a stainless matte 18" barreled right hand 458 lott on a synthetic. Also having them quote different barrel lengths. And with a muzzle break on the shorter barrel lengths like say 18 or 20"

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Polska
ss M70 and rebarrel?

I don't know how to re-barrel. Or what that entails

That's why we have gunsmiths. smile

In your case, all that's required is money. As for the gunsmith, knowledge, talent, and a lathe, are good for starters.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
i'm gonna be getting a quote from E.R. Shaw for a 24" matte stainless barrel and reciever in .458 lott with synthetic stock. i'm curious how much it'll cost.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
here is a suggestion which was given to me and which I followed for the sort of work you need:

PM forum member Redneck. He can guide you through the process at a most reasonable rate and, in the end, you'll get what you want done correctly.

and if you're looking for a receiver i.e. action please look no further than a M70. find a classsic in either blued or ss and part off the barrel etc it comes with to reduce your overall expenses.

Jeff

Last edited by bluefish; 05/05/11.

The way life should be.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a stainless Remington 700 XCR with a McMillan Mountain Rifle stock (painted olive) in 375HH that I have been considering putting on the market. It has a Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-6 in Leupold DD mounts. Total package weight is 8 lbs 4 oz. The whole pkg for $1200.00 shipped to your FFL. If interested, shoot me a PM. I can get pics to you too.

RH

Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by himmelrr
I have a stainless Remington 700 XCR with a McMillan Mountain Rifle stock (painted olive) in 375HH that I have been considering putting on the market. It has a Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-6 in Leupold DD mounts. Total package weight is 8 lbs 4 oz. The whole pkg for $1200.00 shipped to your FFL. If interested, shoot me a PM. I can get pics to you too.

RH

Thanks dude, but i'm looking for a .375 H&H

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
here is a suggestion which was given to me and which I followed for the sort of work you need:

PM forum member Redneck. He can guide you through the process at a most reasonable rate and, in the end, you'll get what you want done correctly.

and if you're looking for a receiver i.e. action please look no further than a M70. find a classsic in either blued or ss and part off the barrel etc it comes with to reduce your overall expenses.

Jeff

Thanks

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 1badf350, 12344mag, 163bc, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,592
Posts18,473,455
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.