Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#5218080 05/07/11
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
okay folks i'm 56 years old started smoking at 13 won't even begin to pretend that i've got the will power to go cold turkey, so has anyone got any method that they have used successfully to stop smoking?

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Chantix is working for a friend of mine, see your doc.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In my opinion, and I quit a four and a half pack a day addiction, you have to decode you really want to quit. All the fancy treatments a gimmicks are worthless until you really want to quit.

I did it and I am no towering monument of strength. I just made up my mind and quit right then. Had half a pack in my shirt pocket and a carton and a half in my pickup. Gave them all away and have not had a cigarette in my mouth ever again. That was 32 years ago last November.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A heart attack will help alot. I had one two months ago after smoking for 35 years and haven't lit a cigarette since.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Scott F
All the fancy treatments a gimmicks are worthless until you really want to quit.

the only true key to success in quitting.

I had three bouts of bronchial pneumonia in one year, that third one I was still trying to smoke cigs while it felt like I was hacking up a lung. I saw a pulmonologist who told me I was fast-tracking for emphysema if I didn't quit.

I did, and had the heart attack a month later. That was over two years ago. 35 year smoker.

Last edited by levrluvr; 05/07/11.
IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As with any habit find a good habit to substitute for the bad habit. Working out is a good step in the right direction. Even if it's just a short walk whenever you want to light up.

One thing's for sure. After about 30-60 days you'll wonder why you ever started to begin with.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
As others have said, you have to really want to quit. I used the patches. My first attempt to quit was kind of half azzed and led to the second attempt which has been successful for over ten years. I was off the patches in about three weeks YMMV. The mental part of quitting was the worst for me. I cut cigarette size pieces of wooden dowel to hold when driving. It was such a habit to light up when I got behind the wheel.
The cravings do become less frequent and go away faster as time goes by. Best of luck to you.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like others have said.........You have to WANT to quit.

Then you just find the easiest way for you......whether it be with chantix, patches, gum, or peppermint sticks.

I quit after 35 years by using a patch for 3 weeks, still have a desire every now and then for a smoke, but can will the feeling away. Good Luck to you!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
if you truly want to quit you will. that's basically what it boils down to. i use to smoke 2-3 packs a day. when i quit the booze (was a hard core alky)i realized chit if i can quit drinking i can quit smoking so i did. the first week was tough but after that it was just a matter of not doing it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You've already heard most of what you need to know.

The rest of it is simply recognizing what smoking is, which is nothing more than an involuntary habit brought about by repetition.

In other words; it's the same simple act as not thinking about what sock you put on what foot first thing in the morning, nor knowing what leg goes in your pants first. What you'll realize is that you'll do it the same way every morning with your pants and your socks because that's how it got all started years ago when you were little.
Smoking didn't start as a perfect habit right out of the gate, but rather evolved into one from you nurturing it.

We smoke after dinner, with coffee, during driving and funny as it seems; right after a long hill climb or exertion, which should have been the furthest thing from our minds.

As it has already been said; you have to want to quit and I've quit for 5 years on a patch and started back. Last time I quit cold turkey and that was Dec. 7, 2009. I've smoked for five quit for five and smoked for five again. I've seen dozens fail on the gimmicks, pills, patches and you name it.

I'm done for good because I finally figured out what it was and the nicotine consists of almost nothing of the habit. It's the act, not the content of the cigarette that is really addictive.

Get your mind right first and you won't need anything else but the willingness to throw them down and never look back.....

Good luck.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Smoked 40 years, at 2 packs a day.

With Zyban my wife and I quit in 2 weeks, 8 years ago.

You have to want to quit as has been stated.

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I quit cold turkey.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
13 years ago I decided I wanted to quit, and I went to my Dr who prescribed Zyban. I took it for 10 days smoking as I reguarly did and woke up on the 11th morning and quit smoking. I haven't smoked since and have had no desire to. I didn't feel it was that bad but that was just me. I had smoked for 40 years and had tried to quit before. I highly recommend Zyban but YOU HAVE TO WANT TO QUIT!!

Good Shooting,

George
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My method for quitting smoking is not a method I would want anyone else to ever have to use.

Eight years ago I got sick, bad sick, diagnosed on a Tuesday, quit smoking on the Tuesday, cold turkey, started treatment with chemo meds the next day. Been there, done that, not going there again. I love my kids and Granddaughter way too much to play that game of risk ever again.

Lynn

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
In my opinion, and I quit a four and a half pack a day addiction, you have to decode you really want to quit. All the fancy treatments a gimmicks are worthless until you really want to quit.

There it is, right there.

I have never smoked, and am a very light, infrequent, one glass of wine with dinner kind of drinker, so I can't say that I can truly "relate" (or in the words of Slick Willie.... "feel your pain" whistle ).

However, I have a very good friend who quit smoking, and another who is a successfully recovered alcoholic, and without fail, they would say the same thing. Until they made up their own damned mind, there wasn't anybody else, or any other way, that they were going to be made to quit.

I did it and I am no towering monument of strength. I just made up my mind and quit right then. Had half a pack in my shirt pocket and a carton and a half in my pickup. Gave them all away and have not had a cigarette in my mouth ever again. That was 32 years ago last November.

To you, and all of the others on here who said they quit, CONGRATS and kudos to you!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
A heart attack will help alot. I had one two months ago after smoking for 35 years and haven't lit a cigarette since.
This answer should be good enough. smile

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It should, but smoking was never about logic or doing the right thing. If it were, no one would smoke now, except those that are truly wanting to commit suicide.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My dad put out his last cigarette in the waiting room of the hospital the day I was born and never lit another. It's one of the many things I respect him for! (you know it was a while ago, when they still let people smoke in the hospital..)

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

That's what my dad said=for 35 years. weird, after see the x-ray of the tumor in his chest he quit smoking-at 76. died-77.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just watched a friend die from lung cancer, had a pain in his chest early February was dead two months later, smoked all his life, had just retired at 59 years old, 6 months retirement then dead.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (257 mag, 160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 22 invisible), 1,987 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,528
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.