Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tim M Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
taking the kids on a car camping trip to Co next month. would rather not use campgrounds. Any suggestions on general area's to go that have decent fishing?

Open to any area-this will be the first time to the rockies for my 6 & 9 yr. old girls, Wifes too

Thanks

Tim

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Check each river as the rules on some are such they are not available for little ones to fish.

Be prepared for warm days, COLD nights depending on where you go.

Platoro Lake has some possibilities, but the fly fishing gear weenies have destroyed fishing in most of the Conejos River below it.

That river could be a little dangerous for kiddos that age anyway.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LouisB
the fly fishing gear weenies have destroyed fishing in most of the Conejos River below it.

Huh?
(Not judging; simply not understanding.)

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
T
Tim M Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
So far we'll be doing 2 nights in estes park then 4-5 nights at the moraine campground inside RMNP -compromise with the wife. Then hopefully some dispersed camping elsewhere.

may just break down and get a guide for a day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even in the month of May, mother nature can dish out some tough weather and conditions in Colorado. Gear up for the absolute worst one can envision, and be ready to bail if the kids begin suffering. One always wants the youngsters to have a pleasant experience. Be safe, good luck, and have fun,

1Minute
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Check each river as the rules on some are such they are not available for little ones to fish.

confused

That seems counterproductive.

I know there are youth seasons specifically to get more youngsters interested in hunting and fishing.

What's the logic behind keeping kids off of certain waters? confused

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If you are going to be that far north in the in the state, I would suggest you spend all your time in the general area.

More the rules that prevent the kind of fishing that smaller kids can do. (I'll restrict my comments to that).

Personally I would look for waters/rules conducive to getting the little ones "Hooked on Fishing/Outdoors".

Last I checked there were no restrictions on the lake.

The lake is a bit over 10,000 so be prepared for chilly temps day or night in early JuneRainbows, Browns and Brookies in the lake. They did have rental boats at the lake, but you have to tow them to the put in site. As it was explained to me, if the rental folks towed the boat to the lake they had to be registered guides.

Might try the Lake Fork, Creede area too.

If you ae in the Anonito area and have the time to spend a day the trip over the mountain on the narrow gauge railroad is fun (maybe more fun in one day than the little ones can handle).

Chama back to Antonito in the evening by van.

Last edited by LouisB; 05/09/11.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
T
Tim M Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
hoping to hit sprague and dream lake with the kids so they can drown some worms. plus the lakes allow for "catch and cook" . Thats important for my girls-they like to eat what they catch.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColdBore

confused

That seems counterproductive.

I know there are youth seasons specifically to get more youngsters interested in hunting and fishing.

What's the logic behind keeping kids off of certain waters? confused

Likely means flies and lures only no bait.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tim M

For the month of June it is probably not much fun fishing streams as it will be run off time i. e. high and muddy in the mountain streams. May even be potentially dangerous for the little ones. You don't specify how old these "little ones" are. Most lakes will good for fishing. How far do you want to travel from the Estes Park area?

PS PM me for suggestions, may not be able to respond immediately but usually with in a day or two. I work 24 hour shifts.

Last edited by Prwlr; 05/13/11.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

T
Tim M Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
3 weeks to go and we'll be on our way-kids are excited to say the least. Hearing the ice out the lakes is just beginning so hopefully by the time we get there it's good to go.

Prwlr was kind enough to point me in the right direction regarding a rig for the kids to fish.

Anybody been on the water near RMNP recently?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 204guy, 06hunter59, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,573
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.