Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My cheap L100 that I bought used a few years back gave up the ghost, and I'm trying to figure how to get the most bang for buck on one of the used ones that are better built than this line. I like the stronger, heavier steel in the older ones, but don't know all that much about the various models.

I'm trying to find the best combo of really well built, but not so old that it has a zillion hours and is worn out.

I've found a couple of mid to late 90's 425's that a couple of retired guys have restored for $2900-3500, but that's a lot to spend on a used one which may have seen lots of use.

Is there a best built/bang for the buck in a 42-48" or so rig that I will try to maintain well for the long haul?

What are the newest ones that were built old school tough?

What about the new 300 series that are around $2800?

Thanks,

DJ

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ask Kraky111. He was a JD dealer

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Ken.

DJ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The older John Deere 318 and 425 are excellent machines with far more capability than they're given credit for. They are garden tractors though and cost more than a lawn tractor or riding mower. That's the difference in price you see even in the used market.

Most anything you can get a a box store is in the same quality class no matter who made it.

Guess you need to decide if you're looking for a tractor or just a mower. Also need to know what terrain you're going to use it on. Big difference between the 2 in price and construction.

I have rolling terrain and a 48" deck, wouldn't want to be any wider as the deck will hang up on the steeper inclines.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best Used John Deere Riding Lawn Mower?

The neighbor's.. grin

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks!

I'm in the Texas Hill Country - and not in town.

Lots of rocks, stumps, trees to navigate, tight turns to make, etc. - but enough to mow to want a 42-48" deck.

Plus - the kids may help me, and I need something with a deck tough enough it doesn't bend when the miscalculate a turn and catch a tree or stump, and which is setup so that it doesn't crater if the boys last rock chucking contest or bailing wire/bailer twine creation doesn't get spotted and I run over it, or if someone runs up on a stump.

I know anything can break, but some stuff takes lots more than others...grin.

I take care of stuff, but use it and would be accused of abusing it by many...

DJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a new JD 125 'automatic' riding mower a few years ago.

The steering is too heavy because its too 'fast'. In other words the ratio of steering wheel turns to front wheel turns is low.

I had a Sears before that which was much easier to steer.

You can try them with out starting them. Just climb on one and turn the wheel back and forth. Of course the surface its on and the tire pressure matter.

Otherwise it runs ok and is fancy looking. They all are too noisy.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, 99.

The non-greasable spindles on the lower end mower decks are sure loud, and all you can do is replace them after listening to them until they go, I guess.

I've had an STX 42 that's still going, but the L100 threw a rod after a few years with me and a few with someone else. It was well maintained, but the rev limiter/governor failed and it flew apart in seconds...

The B&S engines are prone to do that, I've since learned.

DJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DJ if it is as dry where you are as it is here you ain't going to need no mower. I haven't had to mow my yard since the end of March. If it weren't for weeds I wouldn't have no yard at all.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yep - weeds & KR Bluestem are the tallest - but my wife waters it some, so it keeps me mowing some grass, too....grin.

DJ

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The mid 90's 300 series are good mowers. I have a 1996 J.D 318 with a twin cylinder Onan engine with nearly 1000 hours on it. It has given me no problems at all. In all those years of service, I have only replaced the drive belt 3 times. I am very happy with it.

PaPa260

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DJTex
Thanks, 99.

The non-greasable spindles on the lower end mower decks are sure loud, and all you can do is replace them after listening to them until they go, I guess.

I've had an STX 42 that's still going, but the L100 threw a rod after a few years with me and a few with someone else. It was well maintained, but the rev limiter/governor failed and it flew apart in seconds...

The B&S engines are prone to do that, I've since learned.

DJ

If they're still going, you're lucky. The sealed spindles have been replaced with "greasable" ones. The only problem is that you're supposed to give them like, ten-to twelve shots (IIRC) to start with. Then you don't know where you're at. If they're so delicate that they can't be just packed with grease, they're gonna go out pretty soon anyway. I've replaced a bunch on my L series.

My recommendation is to not get a John Deere. The low end ones are junk and the high-end ones are too high. I second the 318 thing. Dad's got one that's over twenty years old and is still going strong. I expect most used ones you'd get are wore out by now though.

My L series is a 2003 or 2004. I spend a bunch of money on it every year. If I see a good 318, I'm gettin' it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a 420 in the early 80's that is still running great.

I bought an X-720 about 2 years ago that I really like too.

about 30 year old 420..

[Linked Image]

New X-720..

[Linked Image]

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Neat rigs!

You know you're getting old when pictures of riding mowers get you all fired up...grin.

How many hours on the 420?

Wondering how many is too many when looking used - of course I know it's all about maintenance and how one is used, but wondering if there's a rule of thumb on engine overhaul at 2000 hours, etc.

Appreciate the info, everyone.

DJ

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Wondering how many is too many when looking used - of course I know it's all about maintenance and how one is used, but wondering if there's a rule of thumb on engine overhaul at 2000 hours, etc.

DJ

No rule of thumb on engine overhaul- the 2000 hours works good for aircraft recips.
Onan engines can easily run this long, but the parts for them are now exorbitantly expensive, and you won't find too many young ones out there. I'm still running a couple of Sears/Roper SS16 tractors with twin-Onans that were made in the early 1970's, never overhauled.
Kohlers are great, as are the Kawasaki-powered Deere's. A guy down the road has one of the Kawi-powered models (not sure of the model number) but it has close to that many hours, if not more. He bought the machine used from a lawn maintenance outfit, and then added some accessories like a blower, plow, and rear tiller. All he's changed is a couple of belts. He won't sell it for a newer one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Neat rigs!

You know you're getting old when pictures of riding mowers get you all fired up...grin.

DJ

Don't worry too much about rebuilding the original engine if you get one of the older John Deere's. They are popular for repower kits, the new B&S Vanguards bolt right in.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Neat rigs!

DJ

Right around 2000 hours on the 420. Engine has never been rebuilt, I'm almost 100% positive it's a Kohler.

I have the grass cutter, snowblower, and front loader for it, it gets used a lot.

Now I only use it with the front loader for yard work. The 720 does the grass, and the snow removal.
That 720 is a nice ride. My wife sometimes gets mad when I cut the grass !!

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
my john deer dealer told me there are 2 types of jd lawn movers. the top quality models you can only get at a jd dealer (the most expensive and best made in the opinion of the dealer) OR the models one finds at lowes, home depot, and other big box stores. he said the ones from the big box stores are intentionally made cheaper, and you can't get their parts from a jd dealer, but rather have to get them from or through the big box seller. i live in farm country and see lots of farmers using the expensive jd models on their yard. drive in to town and one sees lots of town-folk using the big box jd models. for the man who can afford it, i'd say get your next mower from a jd dealer. ymmv.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DJ, FWIW, I have a 445 w/ a 54" deck that I bought new in 2000. It only has 248 hours on it! I love that machine, and like you said I must be getting old! Well, OK, I AM old! I am presently in somewhat of a conundrum, as I want to upgrade to a front-wheel assist model for blowing snow, but want to keep the 445. But I don't have the room to store another machine, plus that 445 would provide a healthy trade in. What to do? Been eye-balling JD sub-compacts lately. This is dangerous! Those JD 2520's and 2720's will make your d**k hard!! grin

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
IMO, the JD 455 is one of the best out there. It may be because I own one, but it's a tank for sure. Built in 1993, it has 750 hours on the 22 hp Yanmar diesel, which is lightly used, and a 60" mid mount cutter. It burns about .75 gph with a 6G tank, has an HST tranny and hydrostat power steering, will take a Cat 0 3 point hitch, and has the hydraulic output connections for a front end loader or blade. There's also a retrofit kit from JD that you can purchase that will allow a power take off to be installed so that bush hogs etc. may be run. Overall, it's one of the best garden/lawn tractors ever built. I bought mine for $4000, and have never looked for another one.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 44 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,304
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.