-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, the 445 and 455 are twins, except the 445 is gas and the 455 is diesel. At the time I purchased, I went gas because I was concerned about cold-weather starting. Wish I had gotten the 60" deck.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That would be a concern in the Dakotas to be sure. The 60" deck cuts mowing time by quite a lot, even if it is somewhat more cumbersome around trees etc.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I can't believe I'm struggling so much not to covet y'all's mowers!

I felt my pulse speed up at the thought of a diesel 455...grin...but I'm not coveting yours, just one like it.

I think those 455's are rare as hens teeth, though.

What do y'all think a nice, well maintained 445 with hours in the 600-700 range should run a guy?

Thanks,

DJ

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks! I think...grin.

DJ

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by hotsoup
my john deer dealer told me there are 2 types of jd lawn movers. the top quality models you can only get at a jd dealer (the most expensive and best made in the opinion of the dealer) OR the models one finds at lowes, home depot, and other big box stores. he said the ones from the big box stores are intentionally made cheaper, and you can't get their parts from a jd dealer, but rather have to get them from or through the big box seller. i live in farm country and see lots of farmers using the expensive jd models on their yard. drive in to town and one sees lots of town-folk using the big box jd models. for the man who can afford it, i'd say get your next mower from a jd dealer. ymmv.

Have heard the same but I call BS. On the tractors at Lowes it says plainer than day on a sticker "take to _____ John Deere", for repair or service.

A good friend is a master small engine repair man and works for a company that repairs most of the commercial equipment in the area. He said unless your talking about the $3500 and up model John Deere's, they are all the same. Of course, John Deere doesn't want you to know this.

Bill

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tx270
Originally Posted by hotsoup
my john deer dealer told me there are 2 types of jd lawn movers. the top quality models you can only get at a jd dealer (the most expensive and best made in the opinion of the dealer) OR the models one finds at lowes, home depot, and other big box stores. he said the ones from the big box stores are intentionally made cheaper, and you can't get their parts from a jd dealer, but rather have to get them from or through the big box seller. i live in farm country and see lots of farmers using the expensive jd models on their yard. drive in to town and one sees lots of town-folk using the big box jd models. for the man who can afford it, i'd say get your next mower from a jd dealer. ymmv.

Have heard the same but I call BS. On the tractors at Lowes it says plainer than day on a sticker "take to _____ John Deere", for repair or service.

A good friend is a master small engine repair man and works for a company that repairs most of the commercial equipment in the area. He said unless your talking about the $3500 and up model John Deere's, they are all the same. Of course, John Deere doesn't want you to know this.

Bill
You're pretty much right. I bought mine from a John Deere dealer and I very much doubt it is any better than a Lowe's bought model.

Top quality John Deere's are still available and will run you about 8 grand.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I spent years calling on dealers when I sold tractor/skid steer attachments. After too much time waiting in showrooms, I came to the conclusion that most mfgrs would try to build to a price point. The 445's & 455's stood out like a sore thumb, and not just for their price tags. Still, many dealers (especially those closer to population centers) would have several of the "less exensive" mowers on the showroom floor. When I see the Green-n-Yellow offerings at Home Depot these days, I just have to laugh.

The way I see it, you kind of have to buy a mower by-the-pound. They can put a pressure lubricated Kohler engine in a crappy frame that totes a paper-thin deck, and get it to sell. If the paint color is right, & people see a somewhat serious-looking engine, they'll think they're getting a serious machine. When you start getting into beefy frames, decks, and transaxles, the price goes up quickly. If someone's fastidious about maintenance, and is a careful operator, they can get nearly any mower to last quite a while. When you start putting offspring or hired help into the equation as operators & maintainers, mower life will fall off quickly.

I'm on a � acre in suburbia, so I don't concern myself with mowers too much. I grew up cutting 8 acres every week, though, so I know the routine. If I were to buy something just for mowing, I'd check into professional equipment by Exmark, Scag, Ferris, Grasshopper, Dixie Chopper, etc. You'll be giving up the attachment options of a garden tractor, but you'll get top-notch mowing capability, components built to withstand the lowest-paid laborers available, and probably save a buck or two.

Now you can take my $.02, pair it with $1.48 of your own, & go get a cup of coffee!

Good Luck,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You should be able to find a JD 430 for around $3500. They are diesel and are extremely well built.

I've moved up to a larger Kubota and sold my 430 to my brother. He had over 3,000 hrs on it when he sold it for $3,500 but it still ran like new. He had over 2 dozen calls on it.

(not my picture)
[Linked Image]

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I owned a '95 425 AWS for around 10-years and used it to cut 3-acres of grass, maintain a mile or so of trails year-round, blow/plow snow, etc. It's a helluva tractor, but if you're just looking to cut grass the 425 is probably overkill.

BTW, the larger the deck the tighter the trim radius. Go with as big a deck as you can.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I spent years calling on dealers when I sold tractor/skid steer attachments. After too much time waiting in showrooms, I came to the conclusion that most mfgrs would try to build to a price point. The 445's & 455's stood out like a sore thumb, and not just for their price tags. Still, many dealers (especially those closer to population centers) would have several of the "less exensive" mowers on the showroom floor. When I see the Green-n-Yellow offerings at Home Depot these days, I just have to laugh.

The way I see it, you kind of have to buy a mower by-the-pound. They can put a pressure lubricated Kohler engine in a crappy frame that totes a paper-thin deck, and get it to sell. If the paint color is right, & people see a somewhat serious-looking engine, they'll think they're getting a serious machine. When you start getting into beefy frames, decks, and transaxles, the price goes up quickly. If someone's fastidious about maintenance, and is a careful operator, they can get nearly any mower to last quite a while. When you start putting offspring or hired help into the equation as operators & maintainers, mower life will fall off quickly.

I'm on a � acre in suburbia, so I don't concern myself with mowers too much. I grew up cutting 8 acres every week, though, so I know the routine. If I were to buy something just for mowing, I'd check into professional equipment by Exmark, Scag, Ferris, Grasshopper, Dixie Chopper, etc. You'll be giving up the attachment options of a garden tractor, but you'll get top-notch mowing capability, components built to withstand the lowest-paid laborers available, and probably save a buck or two.

Now you can take my $.02, pair it with $1.48 of your own, & go get a cup of coffee!

Good Luck,

FC
I cut 2-3 acres and have for a number of years. I'm careful and good about maintenance, but my JD is still effed. I think about everything you said was pretty accurate. John Deere dealers will sell you just about the same mower that Home Depot will. Both suck.

A friend of mine is a commercial lawn care dude out in Wichita. He's mentioned most of the brands you did.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is the one I use, a 1964 110. I should get some pictures of it since I painted it last winter. This thing is built hell for stout! I don't think there is a single piece of plastic on it.

[Linked Image]

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rrroae
You should be able to find a JD 430 for around $3500. They are diesel and are extremely well built.

I've moved up to a larger Kubota and sold my 430 to my brother. He had over 3,000 hrs on it when he sold it for $3,500 but it still ran like new. He had over 2 dozen calls on it.

(not my picture)
[Linked Image]

Would love to find a good clean one!

The 455 in the link was long gone!

They are in plenty high demand - both from folks who want to use them and folks who enjoy both collecting and using them.

I'm trying to be patient. I looked at a 445 this morning - and all I can say is...WOW!

They are in another league from the L100 I was running, but of course they were around $10k new, so they should be.

If I can find something built like that in the right price range, I think it would last near forever with good maintenance.

Do the 430's have plastic on them?

DJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't believe they had plastic but I honestly can't remember. From how much the darn thing weighed, I'd doubt it.

I know they were built from the mid 80's to early 90's and were the model before the 455. Had the Yanmar 3 cl diesel and had hydrostatic transmission though it was only hand controlled. No foot controls.

I remember the mower deck alone weighed almost 400 lbs. It was a beast.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

170 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.