Print Thread
Hop To
#5225526 05/10/11
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Anybody shooting one of these...? I just picked one up for a brush gun deer rifle...and really like it...compact package that handles great...Am curious what folks are shooting in theirs? I have tried just some hornady leverevolutions, winchester powerpoints, and some magtechs...was hoping to find something that shot a mite better in it...

"To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth"
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
They ain't accurate, but they do kill stuff.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Seems like one of those would be an ideal shorter range 'brush gun' for deer, hogs, and stuff like that.

Just curious, but what kind of accuracy do they produce (out to 100 yards) with a good low power scope?

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
They ain't accurate, but they do kill stuff.

That is about as much as I have heard as well.

I handled one at the local toy store a few months back and thought it felt great...other than the bolt being on the wrong side. I would love to have one of the 77/44's or 77/22's if it weren't for that one little hang-up.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Mine patterned really nice. smile I didn't have it long. It shot like crap. It was a nice feeling little rifle, probably should have kept it, but oh well.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Found a 2009 Jeff Quinn "GunBlast.com" video/article of the stainless Ruger 77/44.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-77-44.htm

Not sure if it's normal or if they received one of the 77/44's that was built on a good day, but during tests they stated that all of the loads using jacketed bullets grouped at 1.5" or better at 100 yards.

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
chaseguitar,

I have owned three 77/44�s. I bought a blued/walnut one when they first came out and I loved it. I replaced it with a stainless/synthetic one when they came out because I prefer stainless guns. I later bought a another stainless gun because I liked the first one so much.

All three guns have been very accurate for me. By �very accurate� I am talking 1-1/2� to 2� 5-shot groups at 100 yards shooting reloads of 240 grain Hornady XTP�s over 24.0 grains of H-110 in Starline cases. I consider 1-1/2� groups at 100 yards �accurate� out of a Magnum pistol caliber carbine - you may not, but that is my criteria for the intended use of the gun. I use a 2-1/2X Leupold Compact (�Ultralight� in current terminology) on these rifles to achieve that group size. I don�t see the point of having a light & handy field carbine if you are planning on mounting a Hubble telescope on it. That�s just me, your preference or needs may vary with no criticism from me.

The stock gun from the factory can be a little rough on some samples. Even though all of mine were OK from the factory, I have a detailing process that I go through on my Ruger bolt guns (I also have two stainless/synthetic 77/22 Magnums.) The barreled action goes to Clark Custom for a 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 pound trigger job with an over-travel stop installed. I re-shape and polish the trigger myself to provide a more comfortable feel. I completely disassemble the gun and polish away any casting marks, then glass bead blast to provide a non-glade finish. I send all the blued parts to Metalife Industries for their thin hard dense chrome plating to match the stainless finish and provide wear and corrosion resistance. I send the bolt to Custom Jewel Shop for jeweling. Finally, I lap the barrel on all my rifles. I admit that most of what I do is cosmetic or personal, so be it. All that I recommend to others is the trigger job & over-travel stop by Clark Custom or some other excellent gunsmith.

The 77/44 is truly one of my favorite guns. It handles like an English shotgun if you don�t weigh it down with a big scope. Most of my shooting is 150 yards or under, even in open terrain, so the .44 Magnum carbine fills that niche very nicely. That is my experience with three of these, so I recommend it if the caliber/range fits your needs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I also found that the Ruger 77/44 was adiquitely accurate (2" groups at 100 yards). This is NOT a long range weapon and that kind of accuracy is just fine at the 150 yard ranges the .44 Magnum is best at.

The only reason I don't still own the 77/44 is that I have owned and used a Ruger 44 Carbine since the 1970's. It is just as accurate, handles better and allows faster follow-up shots if needed.

I really like the .44 magnum for use as a close range brush gun and the 77/44 would work great.....but in my opinion, not quite as well as my Ruger Carbine.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have one of the older Ruger .44 semi auto's, and it is a dog in the accuracy dept. Sometimes 1.5" groups, sometimes 4" at 100yrds, but deer act hit when you hit them with a .44mmag and 240's. I think the .44 cartridge is better than the 30-30 inside 125yrds, and I use mine when shooting will be fast and tight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These results are similar to my Ruger 96 lever action .44 Magnum. They are generally dogged by most people and I guess that's whey Ruger dropped them. It will shoot 1-1/2" groups most of the time with good ammo. I haven't shot anything but paper but I belive it would be very good on deer and hogs out to about 150 yards. I think trying to make the .44 mag. a rifle round stretches it's intent and ability a little and it will never do what we expect from most rifle calibers. Handy, short and light and a fun little rifle however. A stainless 77 carbine would suit me but I wouldn't expect much better accuracy then my lever.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The .44 Magnum is one of those rounds that seem to defy the ballistics figures. According to the ballistics, it doesn't have much energy and "shouldn't" kill as well as rounds even as weak as the .30-30. However, in the real world, none of that matters.

As Davet said, when you hit them with a .44...they ACT hit. One of the real advantages I've observed with any bigger bore cartridge is that the deer tend to react to the shot. They stumble, stagger or flinch when hit.....even if they then run. With smaller bore rifles it's not uncommon for a hard hit deer to run as if scalded, showing NO sign of being injured.

That's very important when hunting in thick brush as it lets you KNOW you didn't miss.....which is always a possibility when shooting at moving animals in the thick stuff. While I always try to track every animal I shoot at to make sure it was or wasn't hit......the reaction certainly adds to th confidence level.

In this regard, the .44 magnum stands tall. Almost without fail a hit with the .44 WILL result in a reaction. The only other round I've found tat is as reliable in this respect is the .45-70.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank's for the input folks...I'm not really expecting a sub moa rifle here...I've got a healthy understanding of the limitations of the round in question here....Right now I'm getting 3-4" groups and would like to get some better groups....It seems really that any ammo could be the one...I've heard everything from Leverevoltuions to Remington 180gr to 300gr XTPs have shot well in one gun or another...So trial and error it is...keep the suggestions coming...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you can't get it to shoot great with anything anyway I would choose a 240-270grn hollow point and just know that you have a great 0-75yrd hunting carbine. If you don't have 'shoot'em in the eye' accuracy, pick a bulet that hits hard. If your shots would average longer than 75yrds for the hunt you're on, take a full size rifle.

I use mine when hunting thickets where a guy can't see more than 50-60yrds from a tree stand. 1/2 moa or 3moa doesn't change squat at those ranges.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
That's true Dave....

D
DMW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I picked up an older 77/44 about a year ago. came with
a 3-9x40 bushnell scope. i took it off, replaced the rear sight and installed a red dot sight. This target was the first group i shot after getting it sighted in. i'm sure it will do better, but for a red dot at 50 yards, i am pleased with that grouping. Also, i bought the gun stricly to use when shots are at most 50 yards, most times much less.

[Linked Image]

DW

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

399 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 10Glocks, 35 invisible), 2,005 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,748
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.