Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hello all,

I have followed this forum for a while now and am going to SA in three weeks for plains game. I have read most everything I could find on what to take and have all of the basics covered. However, I want to ask those of you who have been before if there is something you took that you found to be particularly handy or enjoyable that may not be listed on all of the "packing lists" you may find on the safari company websites.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Be sure to carry a Swiss Army knife with tweezers--and keep it in your pocket in the field.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nahh, pack light and enjoy your self....you'll have a ball...grin

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Surefire flashlight...and leave the Bubba-buddy at home.... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
take leather gloves....and a long sleeve shirt...you can thank me later......

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Moleskin, Liquid Skin or New Skin and small tubes of Superglue and cloth type athletic/first aid tape and Neosporin.

Will handle most field generated cuts, scrapes, blisters.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Take maddog's advice and pack light.

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you plan to wear shorts while hunting, make sure you get, or take, a pair of short gaiters. I did not, and spent way too much time cleaning the debris out of my shoe tops.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Cash.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Take pre-shot targets along to check zero, including at 25 yards.
(You may be asked to use short ranges and need to know where your gun hits up close anyhow.)

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Every damm thing over there, Eastern Cape, except the rocks, has thorns, or stickers.
Light leather gloves will be good.
A pair of tweezers will be better.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Take your wife / girlfriend. Not both , though! My wife and I have a great time and I have the most fun watching her hunt and shoot. We are going next year for the third time together. Hope you have a great trip!
Mark

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by btb375
Every damm thing over there, Eastern Cape, except the rocks, has thorns, or stickers.
Light leather gloves will be good.
A pair of tweezers will be better.

+1 on the Swiss Army Knife ( it has tweezers... grin ) and a big + 1 on the leather gloves!!

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
take leather gloves
Good idea for myself also. Thanks Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leather gloves and a positive attitude. You are going to have the time of your life. I suggest a journal to write your experiences, state of mind etc. Also names, addreses and good restaurants for the next time you go. I have told my children stories, but they love reading my journal. They are adult women so I do not worry about offending them. They have both said they will make sure my Grandchildren read it so they will know their Grandpa better.

I must be feeling nastalgic this a.m. Ingwe it is that darned kudu and nice rifle.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Assuming you will be taking a day sack of some sort to carry your kit in the Landcrusier, take a short utility strap and a carabiner/snap hook to hang it off the shooting rails on top of the Cruisers cab...

A daysack left on the floor of the back of the LC will get stepped on, covered in blood and snot, and generally abused which is not good if you have stuff like camera gear inside.

Hang the day sack off the back of the cab, and it will still be easily accessible, but out of harms way...

Last edited by Pete E; 05/11/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Baby wipes
Chapstick

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All great suggestions. I would also suggest a wash-cloth for your wife. They did not have them in our camp and my wife always washes her face right before bed and was not overly happy to use the provided hand towel. Not a huge issue, but won't take up much room and when she asks you where the wash clothes are, you can pull it out of your suitcase like a rabbit out of a hat.

I too really used leather gloves, swiss-army knife, a couple small bandaids, and something to hang my bag from in the truck.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have a hunting belt, with the usual stuff on it, like knife, ammo pouch, but I also have a small LED flash light and also a US army compas pouch which I have a small medical kit in. Just a few band aids, and some antiseptic wipes thats all. In the warm weather small cuts can go manky rather quickly. Have a light ruck sack with your camera in and some drinking water and some spare ammo, but don't over do it.
I also stock up on biltong and have a few bits in my pocket.Which is nice to munch on whilst waking through the bush.
A lens wipe cloth in your top pocket is usful.
Just enjoy being there.
I'm of for 15 days in Namibia in August.
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by paul375; 05/11/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paul375

Is that you or the PH with the sidearm? I was told strictly verbotten when inquiring about handgun hunting. I have a 45/70 and 30/30 that really wanted to make the trip.

Are there countries that allow single shot pistols to hunt with?

Pack as light as you can bear.My wife and I had all of both our "stuff" in one case. One rifle case and each with a small day pack to carry on. We wore hunting cloths to travel but it was dark green top brown pants and boots. Felt foolish unpacking at camp with parkas, but the locals thought we showed good sense until I didn't wear it the first morning. The temp was 50 degrees F which was light jacket weather considering I had left home at -35F just two days before. I had taken some time dated photos of the snow anf thermometer.

We had our laundry washed and ironed daily which was really nice, except my wife expected me to do the same at home for her smile

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 63 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,437
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.