Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
jwb Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Has anyone had a problem with a slide stop on a kimber pistol being engaged while shooting 230gr bullets?
It appears that the wider the bullet (such as Win PDX1 or Fed HydroShock) is, bullets have a tendancy to hit the knuckle of the slide stop as they moves up through the magazine. This engages the slide stop on a full or partial mag and ceases the functioning of the pistol. Kimber has sent me a new slide stop but the problem still exists. Even when I use ball ammo the slide stop engages, although not as frequently as when shooting the high end personal defense ammo not above.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hit it a couple licks with a file, shorten it a little, then it shouldn't hit the bullet in the magazine.... You'll have two slide stops, so you'll have a spare if you hit it TOO much.

That's a pretty common malady, and that's the most common fix.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep. it is too long.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Had the same problem. Called Kimber and they mailed a new slide stop. It just came in today, haven't got to try it yet. Give them a call and they will make it right.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Installed new slide stop. Cured problem of not feeding from the magazine properly. Didn't get a chance to shoot it today. Only measured about .005" shorter, but seemed to make a differance.

IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just a thought. Before you take a file to the slide stop, take a good look at the feed lips of the magazine. If this problem is happening with every mag you have, (assuming you have a variety), then you can take a few thousands off the slide stop. Take too much and you'll have a different problem - failure to lock open on an empty mag.

And now I don't want to be insulting, but shoot the pistol one-handed to see if the problem goes away. Grip can do this.

J
jwb Offline OP
OP Offline
J
ChuckKY,

I rec'd a new slide stop as well but it didn't cure the problem. Sent it back to Kimber yesterday. They were great about the whole thing. I hope your works.

Jim

J
jwb Offline OP
OP Offline
J
dla,

I've shot it four ways to sunday with 6 different 230gr loads, even with the new slide stop. I even shot the same ammo through the Tactical Ultra II I have. When the Entry II comes back, I'll be sending them the Ultra for a bit of slide stop adjustment as well. Slide stop locked in place with the hydroshock and PDX1 loads too.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Did you check your grip?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You can take the slide off, put the slide stop back in the frame, insert a loaded mag, and test it to see if it is pushing it up or not.
I think this is a very common issue with the 1911, but also easily fixed by taking a little off the slide stop. or if you arent comfy doing that, a trunceted cone style bullet will most likely miss the slide stop by a mile.

IC B3

G
G
Hey guys. I had the exact same problem with a brand new Kimber Ultra CDP II. I found this forum and called Kimber, even though I only had 250 rounds through the gun.

Mine would put the round in the chamber, but the slide would not return to full battery. It was short by about a 1/4 inch.

I explained to the tech at Kimber that I understood it would take 500 rounds to break in the gun, but that it seemed to me the Slide Stop was the problem. He agreed, and sent me a new one. He said "you must have one of the old slide stops...we have modified them."

Sure enough, in two days I had a new slide stop, and that sucker was hand polished. There was a huge, HUGE difference between the new and the old. I installed it, went shooting, and 400 rounds later have not had a single failure to return to battery.

I am using both Kimber stock mag and 2 Wilson Combat. Originally, the problem happened with both manufacturers. Now it doesn't happen at all.

I recommend you get Kimber to send you a new slide stop, and make sure you tell them you need it polished (I did). That way, you can keep the original slide stop and grind it if you want to. Always nice to have a spare.

Dave

Last edited by gomcse; 12/07/12.
I used this thread for initiating the call to Kimber about my slide prematurely locking and I would like to expand upon it. I tried calling kimber for about a week straight and I kept getting an automated message "all circuits are busy..". People say time is money and I think the same way of my time so i just dissed out the $60.00 dollars and bought a Wilson Combat bulletproof slide stop (item # 414B). I could clearing see the brass marks on the slide stop from the bullet on both my original kimber and wilson combat slide stop.

So I took it to the gun store I had bought my kimber tactical entry from 5 months earlier and they got Kimber on the line within 15 seconds and within a minute Kimber was sending me a new slide stop free of charge. The new slide stop has been clearly modified because the bluing is missing on the filed down portion and the filed down portion is covered with a maroon paint of some kind.

From what I can see is that the original problem of the slide locking back prematurely is because of the left side of the head of the bullet is hitting the slide stop causing the slide to lock. After installing the new slide stop kimber sent me I can now see that the head of the bullet is not hiting the slide stop when I load the magazine. I just received the new slide stop last week so I have not had a chance to fire the pistol, however one particular manufacturer of ammunition I am using, Remington HD ultimate home defense 230 grain, is still barely brushing up against the slide stop.

I will post results after I take the gun to the range.

Last edited by jwedeking; 04/28/13.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Had the same issue. Called Kimber, they sent me a new one. I never measured either one, but the new ones seems to have fixed the issue. I have only shot about 40 rounds through it since replacing it, but I would have had it lock back about 4-5 times in that amount of shots before, it was flawless throughout.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwedeking
I will post results after I take the gun to the range.

Bring a file with you.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
I installed the Kimber modified slide stop and ran 100 rounds through the pistol and I have had no problems. Even the Remington HD ultimate home defense 230 grain fed through the pistol fine (8 rounds). I bought Kimber because I had done the research and found it to be a high quality firearm for the price. I had not anticipated on spending $1400.00 on a pistol and having these problems however. So I wont say Kimber has made it right until I had at least fired another 400 rounds without any problem.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I know what you mean, but with all the joy my kimber has brought me, along with the bragging rights I've won because it is so damn accurate, I'll take a slide stop issue that they promptly fixed.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
there just seems to be a lot more of out of the box issues with these guns than there used to be, more so than you hear about with SA or Colt.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Jimmyp, that is hard to argue of course. While I don't buy the "Kimbers are a gamble" line.... I feel people who have Kimbers are more apt to share their imperfections because of the bad rap that the guns have had in the past, and less likely to share their positives. I took a class in college, and one of the things the professfor taught was something along the lines of a negative experience is 10-15x more likely to get brought up/shared then a positive experience. I very much so think this applies to firearms etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is data out there to that effect, as well:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=252140&highlight=Bouldertroll

granted, the poll is not scientific, but the trends among the owners is pretty clear, IMO.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I think that poll proves my point about bad experiences coming out in groves.

Dan Wesson 1911.......................18/69
Wilson Combat 1911....................7/56
SIG 1911...................................4/22
S&W 1911..................................7/44
Les Baer 1911.............................7/53
Kimber 1911...............................125/284
Ed Brown 1911............................9/36

Some of the TOP names in 1911's.... 25% of Ed Brown's have issues? Wilson Combat?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1lessdog, 222ND, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,066
Posts18,482,544
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.